SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vacation tips: Niagra
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vacation tips: Niagra Login/Join 
Picture of heisrizn
posted
Looking to stay a few days in late June. Need some tips. Book a tour? Hotel accommodations? Restaurants? Attractions? Parks?

Will be my wife and 10yr old son along with my Sis and BIL.

Thx all.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
Only this
https://www.ezbordercrossing.c...ded-to-cross-border/
You will likely want to enter Canada, eh?

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 721 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Canadian side is better I hear. I've never been to the American side. Spring for an excellent falls side view room. Zappis pizza was wonderful for my young family some years ago.

Posts: 11395 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
I went to the Canada side two years ago with my wife and two young kids. We stayed in a hotel next to the falls with a view. Every night there is a fireworks display around 9:00. You can buy a package of tickets to the various sites, then take the shuttle that runs to all of them. We went to the tunnel that goes under the falls, the boat that takes you next to the falls, the boardwalk that goes along the river, the gondola that goes over the river, and the butterfly exhibit. My kids also went to a place that has climbing apparatus, zip lines, and obstacle courses.

We enjoyed all of the attractions but I was most impressed with the river view along the boardwalk. You get to see how powerful and fast moving the river is. There is a restaurant that rotates at the top of a building. The food is okay but overpriced. It was a fun, one-time, experience.

Restaurants will add a tourist fee to your check. Ask them not to add it or if they bring your check with the fee, ask them to remove it. The fee is not mandatory.

If you are going to drive up there, make some time to visit the Corning glass museum. When crossing the border, make sure no drivers have a D.U.I. on their record. Don’t bring any weapons or ammo. Make sure your car registration and insurance are current.

Posts: 3233 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I have not seen any mention of a requirement for passport.

Years ago, a U.S. issued driver license, or a notarized copy of a birth certificate, was adequate.

I'm pretty sure that a passport is required now if you're going to the Canadian side of the falls.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30723 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to live up that way. Both sides have their value, but I know the American side gets a little sketchy when you get more than 1/2 mile away from the falls. It certainly is not what it used to be.

I have never stayed at a hotel up that way, but I imagine the Canadian side is better. The Skylon tower has some awesome views if you are a photag.

Any yes, you will need a passport or passcard.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
My family went there years ago. The Clifton Hill area has a lot of attractions/amusements for the kids. But we spent a ton of money up there. We were there like 3 days and spent as much as on a week vacation. Skylon Tower was cool, there was an awesome Brazillian steakhouse I'd recommend if I could remember the name.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12450 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
About 10yrs ago my wife and I spent a couple days in the Toronto area, one big day can accomplish everything to see there on the Canadian side, we did Maid of the Mist, under the falls, the boardwalk, Skylon Tower, Clifton Heights, and maybe something else, and this was around 4th of July even. Buy whatever pass they sell to get multiple attractions discount and there are tram busses that drive people around. It's definitely something worth seeing.

Posts: 2526 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Twelve or so years ago we stayed at a Hampton on the American side, but crossed into Canada to view the falls. Rode on the boat and got wet also.

Ate at a great Italian restaurant in Buffalo called the Como. Lots of Sinatra, etc. pictures on the walls. The owner, probably deceased now, could talk to you for 2 minutes and tell where you were from. He only missed my town by 40 miles.

https://www.comorestaurant.com/

Posts: 5627 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Need some tips.
Big Grin I recommend upgrading to the padded barrel as the unpadded ones kind of ding you up when you go over the falls Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Canadian side is better I hear. I've never been to the American side. Spring for an excellent falls side view room. Zappis pizza was wonderful for my young family some years ago.
I haven't been since I was a teenager, but the Canadian falls are much better. Can't speak about the cities since it's been so long.
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I'm pretty sure that a passport is required now if you're going to the Canadian side of the falls.
Definitely need a passport to get into Can-eh-duh

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23313 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
If you make it to Toronto (1.5hr drive) the Ontario Science Center is great, especially for kids.

Posts: 1308 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
We stayed at the Red Coach Inn; had a kitchen which made things easy for meals.

We walked across the bridge to see the Canadian side; Canadian customs folks were jerks on the way over, American ones not nearly so much on the way back.

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Canadian side is best and, if you stay slightly out of down, it is downright affordable.

Ontario’s wineries are ok, but nothing to write home about.

Have a steak!

And the food at the main visitor center was reasonable as it is subsidized and not permitted to gouge. At least that’s the way it was a number of years ago.

Visit Fort Niagara, great bunch of guys who reenact there and you will see som exhibits of American war crimes from war of 1812.

Throwing babies in snow bayoneting children etc.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7180 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SPWAMike0317:
Only this
https://www.ezbordercrossing.c...ded-to-cross-border/
You will likely want to enter Canada, eh?

Good info on the link. I agree with other posts that the view is better on the Canadian side, but you may have to hustle to get four adults passports for a June trip.

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Canadian side. Went last year. Needed a passport.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’d vote to stay on the Canada side as well. If you like wine, about half an hour drive away is Niagra-On-The-Lake. Neat little town with some accommodations. There are a lot of little wineries you can visit in the area, if you like wine.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post