SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Common sense arrises in Seattle - school vaccinations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Common sense arrises in Seattle - school vaccinations Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
Finally some common sense out of Seattle. The school bard sending out letters telling students to prove proof of vaccination or don't come back to school.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/vacc...ts/story?id=67969354

Get vaccinated or don't come back to school, officials tell Seattle public school students
More than 2,200 students were sent letters to get vaccinated.
By
Bill Hutchinson
December 29, 2019, 2:20 PM
6 min read

Seattle students ordered to get vaccinated.

A measles outbreak has prompted officials of the Seattle Public Schools to take the drastic action of ordering thousands of students to get vaccinated immediately.

A measles outbreak has prompted officials of the Seattle Public Schools to take the drastic action of ordering thousands of students to get vaccinated immediately or risk being barred from returning to classes after the winter break.

The school district sent out a letter to 2,274 students warning they will be kept out of school if they fail to provide a medically verified record they received their immunization shots by the time classes resume on Jan. 8.

"If a student is excluded from school because of immunization requirements, the missed days will be recorded as unexcused absences," according to a statement on the school district's website.

The district scheduled three free clinics at Seattle schools to provide students with measles, mumps and rubella vaccination, officials said.

“Unfortunately, by state law we have to exclude them,” Tim Robinson, spokesman for the Seattle Public Schools, told ABC affiliate KOMO-TV in Seattle of any student who fails to get vaccinated. “They would be excluded here, they would be excluded at any school district, and we certainly want to avoid that. I know all schools want to avoid it because you don’t want students to miss any school time.”

A measles outbreak across the nation has hit the state of Washington particularly hard.

The state has been coping with two measles outbreaks this year in which 87 cases were confirmed, according to the Washington State Department of Health.

Earlier this year, the Washington Legislature passed a law removing "personal preference" as an exemption for the measles, mumps and rubella vaccination. Now only "religious" and "medical" exemptions are allowed, under the new law.

Robinson said the district has come up with a plan for dealing with any non-exempt student who shows up to school without having gotten vaccinated.

“If they come to school, we certainly have a plan in place that if a student comes to school on the 8th and their records aren’t up to date, they’ll just be held aside, their parents or guardian will be contacted,” Robinson said.

From Jan. 1 to Dec. 5, 2019, 1,276 individual cases of measles were confirmed in 31 states, the greatest number of cases reported in the United States since 1992, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. There were more cases of the infectious disease this year than there have been in the four years prior combined.

The CDC reported that 124 of the people who contracted measles this year were hospitalized, including 61 who suffered complications such as pneumonia and encephalitis.

Just last week, five U.S. airports, including Chicago's busy O'Hare International Airport, had travelers pass through with confirmed cases of measles this month, exposing an unknown number of fellow passengers to the highly infectious disease, according to health officials in those cities.

This year's measles outbreak was worse from a global standpoint. As of mid-November, the number of measles cases that countries around the world reported to the World Health Organization was three times higher than the number of cases reported during the same time in 2018.

ABC News' Erin Schumaker contributed to this report.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11768 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Have to wonder how long it will be before they start making exceptions. 'Common sense' and 'Seattle' doesn't seem to go together.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I take it you think it is a good idea to force this on the kids?

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or protesting.... Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tinyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

I think it's like this forum -- like it or haul your ass out. MY KIDS getting sick because of you and your beliefs don't match. Haul ass.

Tinyman

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
I want to shake the shit out of them
till the light comes on

Posts: 315 | Location: Leeds, Alabama | Registered: August 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
I think it's less about common sense, and more about "do as you're told, tovarisch." To the bolshies there, people are just state property.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I believe they should force this on kids and their parents. We live in a society and I certainly don't want my family endangered because of some "belief" that vaccinations are more harmful than good. If you believe that, good for you, home school your spawn and keep them away from us.

This is only a discussion because absence makes the heart grow fonder. People have forgotten that these diseases kill. And very effectively.

Posts: 7500 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:

No, their parents

Posts: 13264 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:

Nobody is being forced. Parents have a choice. If they want to send their kids to public school, the parents and kids need to follow the rules. If the parents don't wish to follow the rules, they can find an alternate solution for educating their children.

I know dozens of families that choose to home school because they don't feel the public school option is best for their children. We send our own kids to a private school for the same reason. We also follow the rules set forth by the school. It's our choice to do so knowing full well if we choose to not follow the rules, there will be consequences up to the expulsion of our children from the school.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:

No it's forcing it on their idiotic parents. There's a choice, don't want to vaccinate your kids, don't send them to public school. Depends who you want to take your medical advice from; medical professionals or a former Playboy bunny. I tend to be very libertarian in my thinking. Do what you want as long as it doesn't affect me. The problem is not vaccinating your kids can affect me and my family.

I worked one night where we had to close down an isolate an entire section of the ER for a suspected case of measles that was on a flight from Seattle. The hospital I work in serves the native community of Alaska. We have a lot of elders with compromised immune systems. We also have children who come in from isolated villages that have never had exposure to modern medicine and vaccinations. So one family's selfishness and/or ignorance puts a whole hospital at risk.

Talk to me after you've had to load an infant with whooping cough into an incubator for a medevac flight to a specialized children's hospital. Then having to explain to the anti-vax mother that no, I can't give her daughter the vaccine for whooping cough after the fact.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11768 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How long till they don't consider exceptions from medical 'professionals'?

"Did your child have an adverse reaction to a vaccine that put them in the hospital for a month or hurt them permanently? Too bad, that's an acceptable loss and you must now get all the currently approved vaccinations before your child may attend public school."

Posts: 2368 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:

We had a measles outbreak here this year, right where I live, just outside Seattle. Fucking measles. You know, that disease we all but eradicated? There were I forget how many dozen cases and even some deaths. Between anti-vaxers and illegal aliens who have never been vaccinated for anything who are flocking here from all over, this area is a potential hotbed for diseases none of us have seen in our lifetime, like tuberculosis.

So yeah, I’m fine with Seattle schools saying “prove you’re vaccinated to get in.” In fact, I’m better than fine with it after hoping and praying my 5 year old son’s vaccination would protect him against measles this last year, hoping we wouldn’t run into a carrier and find out.

Posts: 17137 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Whatev, Seattle is only doing this to cover their asses, there are way more folks that could sue them for NOT vaxxing. That's the only common sense going on there...

It used to be a requirement there, I remember having to bring a certificate, when did that stop?

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6214 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Whatever the reasons why, it’s the right move.

I suspect it not being a requirement was tied to the illegal alien thing. Shit, we’ve been giving them driver’s licenses for years.

Posts: 17137 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even if they are home schooled they will still potentially be a source To transmit the disease when they go to the mall, the park, out to eat, etc., and some kids will get the disease even with the vaccine.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I wonder what would happen in a case where a kid had a medical condition like mine.

After getting slammed with Guillain Barré Syndrome, my doc has put me on the "no fly" list with respect to most vaccinations.

Would a kid with this condition be barred from school?

For decades, I got an annual flu shot. Not allowed, any more. I asked doc about danger of contracting flu, he told me to be anal about washing my hands and using hand sanitizer.

No shingles vaccine for me, no pneumonia shot, most things are forbidden.

I have to remember to ask him about tetanus shot next time I see him.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
dwright1951,

I wasn't suggesting that home schooled kids shouldn't be vaccinated.

V-Tail,

I would assume a child like you would fall under the medical exemption the law allows as mentioned in the first post.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
It’s the smart, right thing to do. Therefore Seattle will reverse this common sense decision after a little pressure from the anti-vaxers.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15584 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I understand medical reasons for not vaccinating but that is a rare situation. This whole anti-vax thing is internet based lunacy. How soon we forget. My Mom was one of 11 children but only 7 of them survived childhood due to childhood diseases. When visiting the family plot in the cemetery from that period there are many, many headstones of infants and toddlers who died from those diseases. My parents attended many funerals of people who died of diseases that are now preventable with vaccines. They were fully in support of vaccination programs in the public school system as are we and our children. I cannot imagine our grandchildren not being vaccinated. We have distant family members who refuse to have their 5 children vaccinated who affiliate with others of the same mind. We hope it never occurs, but fear it is just a matter of time before they are infected with something severe.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
The problem is not vaccinating your kids can affect me and my family.

How? Aren't you and your family, children and all, vaccinated?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post