SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Constitution question?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Constitution question? Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted
Mark Levin and Ben Shapiro are talking about Article 5 Convention of States as being just about the only way to stop whats going on with the federal government. I'd like to know what if the convention is called and the left refuses to vote for anything? Are we left with nothing after that? Or, do we return to default?

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I think the convention can only make recommended amendments, which would have to go through the normal ratification process (3/4 of the state legislatures).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
2/3 of the states (34) would have to agree to call a convention. After the convention meets - they could end up with several proposed amendments or none - any amendments they put forward would have to be approved by 3/4 of the state legislatures (38) or state ratifying conventions.

Extremely unlikely that a. A convention would be called, b. They would agree on anything and, c. 38 states would vote for whatever they came up with.

The Founder's intentionally set a high bar for making changes to the constitution.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Right, BamaJeepster.

Still... I'm not opposed to an Article 5 Convention of States. I think it would be a healthy process. We have become too complacent and forgetful of the purpose of government.

I think a balanced budget amendment would be a good idea.

The text of Article V of the U.S. Constitution:

The Congress, whenever two thirds of both houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose amendments to this Constitution, or, on the application of the legislatures of two thirds of the several states, shall call a convention for proposing amendments, which, in either case, shall be valid to all intents and purposes, as part of this Constitution, when ratified by the legislatures of three fourths of the several states, or by conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other mode of ratification may be proposed by the Congress; provided that no amendment which may be made prior to the year one thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any manner affect the first and fourth clauses in the ninth section of the first article; and that no state, without its consent, shall be deprived of its equal suffrage in the Senate.

https://www.commoncause.org/re...ement-nears-success/

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The idea of the convention is to go around Congress. This is a way for the states to be able to reel in an out of control (by the judgement of the state governments) Federal Government.

But constitutional amendment, by either process, require the closest thing to political unanimity that this country ever achieves. I don't see anything even vaguely like political unanimity happening in this country any time in the near, or even far, future.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Remember, too, that a Convention may not work out quite as planned. I can see the Left proposing to:

Repeal the Second Amendment in its totality, even going so far as to ban firearms ownership;

Repealing the Ninth and Tenth Amendments to further weaken States rights;

Add Amendments making healthcare and abortion on demand right guaranteed by the fed.gov; and

Change the age and birthplace requirements for Representatives, Senators, The Chief Executive, and the Supreme Court to make it easier to stuff their ranks into those jobs.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Term limits for Congress. You know they'll never vote for them on Capitol Hill.

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My position is that, if they ignore the constitution as it is now, why do you think they would honor a re-write?

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Right, BamaJeepster.

Still... I'm not opposed to an Article 5 Convention of States. I think it would be a healthy process. We have become too complacent and forgetful of the purpose of government.

I think a balanced budget amendment would be a good idea.

I wouldn't have a problem requiring a balanced budget, but do you think more than 10-15 states would vote for it, especially when the campaign against it would be about how the gravy train ends once it is passed? I'm not even sure 10-15 states would vote for it, but maybe I'm wrong. The campaign against it would be unlike anything we have ever seen before, you think the libs and media are unhinged now? Whew!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
But those would not stand a chance of getting ratified.

quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
Remember, too, that a Convention may not work out quite as planned. I can see the Left proposing to:

Repeal the Second Amendment in its totality, even going so far as to ban firearms ownership;

Repealing the Ninth and Tenth Amendments to further weaken States rights;

Add Amendments making healthcare and abortion on demand right guaranteed by the fed.gov; and

Change the age and birthplace requirements for Representatives, Senators, The Chief Executive, and the Supreme Court to make it easier to stuff their ranks into those jobs.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
When the Bill of Rights was proposed as the first 10 amendments, the delegates started with 112 that were proposed. Right off, you can see how a convention can have problems.

As for getting the required number of states, look at the Equal Rights Amendment. It was passed by 37 states, just one short of adoption. However, during the process five states voted to rescind their support.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post