SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Space Nerds - twins' genes not identical after a year in space
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Space Nerds - twins' genes not identical after a year in space Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted
Ignoring that this is associated with the AZ activist, this is some interesting science, especially as it relates to possibilities of long term space travel.

7% of Scott Kelly’s Genes Changed After a Year in Space

The human body is pretty incredible, but like anything that complex change the environment dramatically and for an extended time and and stuff starts to happen. Fascinating.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12419 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
So, this simply means his brother is still 100% asshole.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43886 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I recall the skylab experiments coming back as those who stayed in space longer were healthier then those on earth. Gravity isa bitch

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
I recall the skylab experiments coming back as those who stayed in space longer were healthier then those on earth. Gravity isa bitch

Wasn’t it the other way around?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Nope. 200%.

Posts: 15908 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:

I thought asshatery was an attitude not a genetic flaw.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Velikovskians are just gonna love this.

Velikovsky postulated a pseudo-scientific theory that the earth had undergone catclysmic changes from proto-planets and smaller globules ejected from Jupiter. Venus, earth, the moon, and the dino killer "meteor" are four of them. One of the features of the various cataclysms is rapid (single generation), radical genetic mutation to adapt to the new environmental conditions. His theories were the basis for a pulp sci-fi novel by James P. Hogan "The Cradle of Saturn". Which was a mindless read from back in my youth (and what I first thought of when I read the OP). Velikovsky used the lack of "gradual" evolutionary evidence from cro-magnon to neandertal to homo-sapien as evidence of "radical" genetic mutation.

Yes, yes I am a science and sci-fi nerd.

And no I don't ascribe to the theory, I think Velikovsky is a total crackpot. But it is good fodder for a sci-fi novel.

Ken

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
7% seems like quite a bit. Any ideas what else would cause such a change?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
quote:

What the fuck do I know? Am I Stephen Fucking Hawking?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43886 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
There’s a lot more radiation from the sun once you get out of the atmosphere (IIRC) and ionizing radiation does bad things to DNA. Increased radiation exposure on the space station would be my guess.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:

You sure about that?

Most extended space time means major muscle atrophy and other issues. I think there are issues with bones as well.

Look at pics of those Russian cosmonauts who spend long amounts of time in space, right after bump-down. They are always sitting because they can barely stand up on their own any longer.

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
quote:

What the fuck do I know? Am I Stephen Fucking Hawking?

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
7% seems like quite a bit. Any ideas what else would cause such a change?

Also micrometeorites will penetrate their ship and damage the body. While sleeping this can be stopped by the astronauts sleeping with a wall of water around them. The water absorbs the micrometeorites.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I thought Gene Kelly was dead.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post