SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SCOTUS: Court overturns Chevron decision, curtailing federal agencies' power in major shift
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SCOTUS: Court overturns Chevron decision, curtailing federal agencies' power in major shift Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Unaccountable perpetual bureaucracies have become the new tyrannical dictator only worse. They never die. This decision, if it does what I think it does, is the most liberating decision in my life.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29905 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Left-Handed,
NOT Left-Winged!
posted Hide Post
And the commie media is wringing its hands saying this SCOTUS ruling is a "power grab" by the unelected judicial branch of government from the executive branch and it will gut environmental protections. Then they say that courts aren't smart enough to make technical decisions on regulations because regulators are "experts". Funny, but judges have to interpret all other laws as well.

The mental gyrations required to say this are mind boggling. The court is simply putting the interpretation of regulatory laws in the courts where the constitution says it belongs. It will not gut environmental regulations, it will simply require Congress to PASS the regulation with clear wording.

One more piece of proof that Democrat Marxists only care about the result they want and not about the constitution, the law, or due process.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lefty Sig,

Posts: 4916 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
I'm amazed that people are calling this "fascist". Yes, forcing the government to follow it's own rules instead of allowing small groups of unelected bureaucrats to do as they please is a hallmark of fascism.

The word just means "something I don't like" now. Pickles are fascist. The odd numbered Star Trek films are fascist. Badly timed traffic lights are fascist.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17084 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
I'm amazed that people are calling this "fascist".
<snip>

I’m not. Leftists will probably declare it to be racist as well.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good bye to the shadow 4th branch of the government.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Left-Handed,
NOT Left-Winged!
posted Hide Post
The older I get the more I realize that Congress is the reason for most of the problems we have.

They rely on lobbyists and activists to draft legislation, they don't bother to read it, they vote along party lines, and they take tons of money from special interests to buy their votes.

They vote in such a way that they can deny responsibility for how things turn out.

They abdicate responsibility for legislation by creating regulatory agencies in the first place. And things like never passing a national abortion law after R v. W was decided, and relying on SCOTUS to maintain the status quo, which they FINALLY decided to refuse to do anymore.

They engage in massive insider trading on stocks and IPO's.

The whole scheme is to enrich themselves, avoid responsibility, and get re-elected. We need term limits, but Congress will never pass term limits on themselves.

The greatest thing the current SCOTUS can do for the country and the future is to consistently decide cases such that Congress is forced to DO THEIR JOBS and not delegate their constitutional responsibilities to anyone else.

Posts: 4916 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
With this ruling does this mean that ‘rules and regulations’ invoked by these agencies are now unlawful?

Posts: 53785 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
They vote in such a way that they can deny responsibility for how things turn out.

This is why they refuse to pass a line item veto and bury multiple things in a single bill.

Posts: 20563 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Left-Handed,
NOT Left-Winged!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:

This is why they refuse to pass a line item veto and bury multiple things in a single bill.

Excellent point.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
With this ruling does this mean that ‘rules and regulations’ invoked by these agencies are now unlawful?

No.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

What it means, I think (and IANAL) is that in defending future legal challenges to their regulating, they cannot just say "because I said so" and win automatically anymore.

Posts: 15143 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I really think the Left is actually more pissed off about this decision now than Roe v Wade.

This really puts a big dent in their plans for the ultimate Nanny State where every citizen has to play Mother May I? to The State.

Posts: 34536 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:

Excellent point.

JMO, the line item veto sounds great on paper, but the reality is it would end up with a POTUS that simply has his staff go through a bill and line out everything he doesn't like, or, line out everything from the other party on a bill that passed the house and senate.

Say you have a R congress and a D POTUS, he could effectively line item out all the R items on a R party passed bill, leaving only the D items in the bill, sign it and it's law deleting the power of the congress. Right now POTUS would have to decide that he/she wants to veto everything and send it back, line item would mean, no sending back, and give the administration side all the power on spending.

It's a dangerous tool to allow one person that power...

Posts: 24231 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE] What it means, I think (and IANAL) is that in defending future legal challenges to their regulating, they cannot just say "because I said so" and win automatically anymore.[/QUOTE]

Nicely put. The regulations do not suddenly go away, nor do the regulatory agencies. The vast federal bureaucracy will remain intact.

What changes is that, if someone sues to obtain relief from a regulatory ruling or position, then the court does not "automatically" dismiss the case because it is required to defer to the agency's interpretation. This will allow the court to hear experts from both sides and render a decision.

It also doesn't mean (as I see all over the internet) that judges (who are supposedly bought by corporations, while I guess agency bureaucrats are not) can just decide whatever they want. The judges will hear expert testimony from both sides, not decide based on their own knowledge.

Posts: 638 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post