SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need suggestions for Sling Bags....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need suggestions for Sling Bags.... Login/Join 
posted
For my wife and her upcoming overseas trip. She and #1 son going to see #2 son in Spain. Traveling light so not necessarily needing overly large, more a second carry on and a day trip- overnight bag in country. Not overly feminine, slightly tacticool might work as I might inherit after their return. Thanks.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1548 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
Personally I'd avoid a sling type bag. I realize "different strokes/different folks", but after using a Maxpedition Sitka gearslinger for several years in the capacity you're describing (carry-on/daypack), it is uncomfortable loaded to even a "normal" capacity. By normal I mean, laptop, water bottle, baby stuff (a couple diapers/wipes & change of clothes), a book, and random misc. items like small first aid kit, pens, extra flashlight, etc).

I went with a regular backpack a couple of years ago, and greatly appreciate the difference in comfort. I picked up the 5.11 All Hazards pack, and the difference is night and day, for me. I'd encourage you to consider going the backpack route. That said, you asked for recommendations for a sling bag, and Maxpedition has several that I believe would fit the described bill, including the Sitka, which I have relegated to "go bag" status in my truck.

Posts: 1767 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used a no frills under armour bag. I have 5.11 and maxpedition but didn't want to pattern myself with the 5.11 type stuff with what's going on in the world now.

Posts: 376 | Registered: September 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
For travel as you have detailed, I'd recommend a backpack instead of a sling bag. For daily commuting stuff, my Timbuk II courier bag does a great job. But when it comes to a weekend away with the wife, I use my three day backpack, which is overhead storage compliant, accommodates far more stuff, and is much more comfortable to carry.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I've found sling bags to be very uncomfortable even when only moderately loaded. My 5.11 sling bag is now relegated to being strictly my gym bag.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30900 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
Saw Maxpeditions on sale at Woot. Also had some cheaper Yukon bags in the Sports & Outdoors section. I've never used a sling bag, so I can't recommend either, though.

http://sellout.woot.com/plus/m...ags?ref=so_cnt_wp_10

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
In a word and a number, Hazard 4.
Take a moment and look at their online catalog and see the immense choices you have to fit your needs. Maybe even go beyond your needs.
Then, give WARPIG602 an email or post on his thread. He has done well by me.
I have the Smuggler and two other smaller bags to hold gear and an AR Pistol or AR broken down.

Good luck.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Well, sir, I reckon some folks calls it a Sling Bag, I call it a Kaiser Bag. Mmmmm-hmmmmm....

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44459 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Well, sir, I reckon some folks calls it a Sling Bag, I call it a Kaiser Bag. Mmmmm-hmmmmm....

I see what you did there, Cool

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1548 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're set on a sling bag I have no suggestions, but if you've not used one before and are choosing it based of looks or supposed function like I did once Smile then I recommend a back pack. Your wife, or your, or your son's shoulder will thank you.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the following one from Maxpedition (ODGreen). Email me if you'd be interested to work out a deal. It is in 'like new' condition.

http://www.maxpedition.com/sto...Gearslinger-p926.htm

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I played this video game called The Division. All the operatives in the game wear a single should sling pack. It looked cool. So I bought one.

It was terrible.

The concept is cool...one big strap, pack sits on your back, pull the pack forward to access. Except that when the pack is loaded, it doesn't sit on your back like it does in the pictures. The pack drifts down your back, pulling all the buckles and shit up to your collarbone. You'll constantly be pulling on the should strap to re-position the bag back up on your back.

Then there's the whole weight distribution thing. Two straps are better for weight distribution.

So, in almost every respect, a backpack is better. If you want side access to a backpack, get a backpack with a side opening and a buckle strap. You can quickly unbuckle the strap, swing the backpack forward on the remaining strap, and access stuff from the side. The Vanquest Trident is a good example of this.

If you are really caught on the idea of a single strap pack, then consider a messenger bag, like a Timbuk2 Classic. It's flexible so that it can comform to your hip better where it will eventually just sit.

Posts: 13063 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
I like sling bags, smallish sized with a stabilizing cross strap when carrying for a while. I have had shoulder surgery on both shoulders so like how it distributes load NOT on the shoulders.

Tom Bihn and now Patagonia Mass sling - the Patagonia is fantastic. Patagonia Mass

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the inputs! My wife is now leaning towards a smaller backpack....

Bill Gullette

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Certs commuter

I like this one. Very well thought out and executed. Under $100 on Amazon.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4248 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post