SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2009 Highlander door weatherstrip
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2009 Highlander door weatherstrip Login/Join 
posted
Looking for help from the brain trust here. I purchased a 2009 Highlander last September and the left rear door weatherstrip is coming loose from the door. I did a temporary repair by gluing it to door but now that has come loose. I want to correctly repair it and I think it may be best to replace the entire piece that goes around the door. I cannot find any instructions or videos on how it attaches to the door? Is the entire weatherstrip piece just glued to the door?

Posts: 197 | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No glue. All Toyota door weather strips are compression fitted over the pinch weld around the door sills. The ends of the strips at the bottom are usually cover by a plastic trim plates held with Phillips screws which need to be remove or loosen for reinstalltion. Those trims in turn are connected to the B pillar lower trims with small tabs.

The rubber weatherstrip has a T shape cross section. The long part of. The T has a groove that goes over the pinch weld. The outside part of the T is the soft compressable seal. The other side of the T is a harder flap that lays on top of the interior trims around the door.

*edit for additional info and clarity

Posts: 1074 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: August 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
If you install the new weather strip, clean and dry all mateing surfaces. It's contact surface should be wiped down and allowed to dry, with silicone.

Posts: 17977 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, will order the new one and give it a go!

Posts: 197 | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted by TXLe:
All Toyota door weather strips are compression fitted over the pinch weld around the door sills.

Tightly, too.

Posts: 28587 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post