SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    You can’t be electrocuted and live
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You can’t be electrocuted and live Login/Join 
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted
Just like someone can’t be murdered and survive.

You didn’t get electrocuted by the light socket, you got shocked (assuming you survived).

Carry on.

Posts: 5085 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
At what point does a zap become a shock?

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I'd never thought about this. Looking back at the etymology of the word, yes. it looks like the -cute suffix came from execute and the electro- is just the means of death.

nowadays, though, the definition (per google at least) includes injury. evolution of language at work, I suppose.

Posts: 7547 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
I learned that when I was five.
We had just moved into my grandfather's old house, as he moved into a "retirement community" (this was 1966, so....).
My dad had his childhood home remodeled before we moved in (I was oldest of 2 at the time).
I was playing in this garden area near the kitchen with a pair of linesman pliers (Hell, remember, I was 5, I don't know, but my grandfather had left most of his old tools in his basement workshop---he now lived less than 3 miles away).
I started digging through the mulch with the linesman's pliers, and lo and behold I found the buried electrical line to the remodeled garage about 100 feet from the house. I swear, to this day, almost 53 years later, I can remember the sensation from cutting into that electrical line. I have an extreme respect for electricity. And yes, I had the crap shocked out of me. Eek
My mom saw me do this through the kitchen window, and always said she thought I had died when I did this. Eek Eek

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Of course Google has to go and rain on my parade.

Posts: 5085 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
LOL, language always has a way around the rules.

Don't even get me started about flammable and inflammable meaning the same thing.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I'll bet you can be electroluxed and live.....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29909 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Kinda like a man getting hung to death Wink

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11464 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shock/zap... quick.

Electrocuted... long, not being able to see and losing control of your body (not being able to stop it from happening).

I've experienced both (very lucky too still be here) and there is a MAJOR difference!

Posts: 10061 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
Just like someone can’t be murdered and survive.

You didn’t get electrocuted by the light socket, you got shocked (assuming you survived).

Carry on.

Ahhh, but you can also be electrocuted to death, then shocked back to life.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8550 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
So what is the level of misuse that warrants changing the meaning of the word? Electrocute was coined by combining execute and electricity. The fact that “X”% of the population is too stupid to understand that and use the word to describe what is actually an electric shock doesn’t change the meaning of the word.

Is this another of the “self identify” bullshit things where anything can be everything because I or someone else says so?

Can “drowning” now mean getting wet but surviving? If someone throws a rock at me can I say I have been “shot”?

Oh great comet where art thou....

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11228 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of my personal favorite abuse of language - “I’ve died ____ times and they’ve brought me back.”

I’m not talking about an actual “near-death”, light at the end of the tunnel, seeing your body from the outside sort of thing. I’m talking about your heart stopped or even better - you were merely in a shockable rhythm - and successfully resuscitated. That’s not being dead, you idiot. I don’t care what the doctor told you (using simple words so he wouldn’t have to try to explain it a second time). I guarantee you that’s not what the EMS run sheet / op note / medical record says. Stop telling me you died.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16317 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Maybe, BurtonRW, but 2 guys in our intern class resuscitated a man after the attending had already signed the death certificate. He walked out of the hospital with a signed death certificate on his chart.

Posts: 18383 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Maybe, BurtonRW, but 2 guys in our intern class resuscitated a man after the attending had already signed the death certificate. He walked out of the hospital with a signed death certificate on his chart.

LOL. How long before the attending was able to show his face in the physicians' lounge after that?

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16317 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
I'll bet you can be electroluxed and live.....

My friend's daughter thought she was getting the "Lux" treatment at the hair salon. "Deluxe" ...

The salon vacuumed her hair into the Electrolux, rolled a hair band around it, called it a day ...

Shocking the way google asserts itself. Next we'll be paying they to predict armed outcomes and elections. No more fighting, campaigning, physical voting.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Fuck google.

If you were *electrified,* you were shocked and likely injured, but did not die.

If you were electrocuted, then hopefully your funeral was nice.

By the way, when was the word "installation" abandoned for the lazy version?

Posts: 4918 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Consider myself a bit of a word-smith. I agree sometimes word meanings 'morph' into different versions.

I seem to remember 'overdose' inferred death from taking too much of something.

'Decimate' means to destroy 10% of - but we use it to mean 'utter destruction' of a force.

I love the war over 'clip' versus 'magazine'.

'drown' is another one - that means 'DEAD', correct? Big Grin

And of course the good George Carlin IIRC famously ridiculed the term 'Near Miss'... don't you mean a 'near hit' ??

-----------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been there, done that, I don't do 480 anymore.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13499 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
You might want to as this young man...

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10592 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Most of us who experimented with radios back in the tube days have been lucky enough to survive nasty shocks, unanticipated brushes with death, etc. Some did not.

One of the most significant changes wrought by the ubiquity of solid state is that one is seldom exposed to high voltages.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post