New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ditchdigging Login/Join 
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted
I just tried it again and I still don't like it. And unfortunately, I can't find another simpleton to hire to do it. Guess I'll rent a playtex light days mini backhoe. Slothfulness is a terrible and costly thing.

Posts: 26941 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
Got some scheduled this weekend. Replacing our rock front yard (1750 sf)with sod. So far the rock has been removed, big boulders removed, graded.

This weekend into next week I plan to install 66' of steel retaining wall/ edging and dig 220' of trench for irrigation. Made for a good excuse to buy a skid steer. Like I told the wife, "this ain't HGTV"

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I made a lot of money as a ditch digger in my younger days. It's a steady meditation.

I also learned a lot about people and their perceptions. You could change a main line by hand, killing yourself for 12-24 hours and leave the law so perfect you couldn't tell it was done. Charge them $400 and they'd balk at the price.

But you could come in with a machine, destroy the yard and charge them $900 and they'd pay it without batting an eye.

People don't mind paying for the show. But do it with a shovel and they think "oh I could have done that!"

Posts: 21122 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Anybody can run a shovel, it takes a skilled expert to use machinery. Wink

Posts: 26941 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I just tried it again and I still don't like it. And unfortunately, I can't find another simpleton to hire to do it. Guess I'll rent a playtex light days mini backhoe. Slothfulness is a terrible and costly thing.
Better idea: go shoot a 9mm revolver, instead.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30729 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
25 yrs ago I worked all day every week day digging ditches and installing irrigation in South Florida heat, and then going and swimming 3000 yds after work.

If I tried that today it would likely kill me (or make me wish I was dead).

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Several years back when I built my lawn and put in the sprinkler system, I worked my tail off. Hours and hours worth of box blading finally tore up the existing ground and graded everything off even. Then came the ditch digging for the sprinklers. My ground is about 70% rocks and 30% dirt. Not a fun task. I started out with my Kubota backhoe and while it worked, it was a PITA and overkill.

I went down to the local hardware store and rented a contraption that looked like a huge SkilSaw. Kind of a Ditch Witch with a circular blade. It worked great and I had all the lines dug in a couple of hours.

Posts: 20130 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDbpkbhx9lE

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17302 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Digging a ditch is hard work, but when it is lined with endless roots it will damn near kill ya! Made that mistake once.

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Most young folks today don't know what a shovel is for. When I was a young teen on the farm my Dad and I were digging a ditch for drain tiles. He told me if I didn't get a good education, I would end up doing that kind of work for the rest of my life. So I went off and got a couple of college degrees and had a couple good careers. So here I am retired back on the ranch, and sure enough I am still digging postholes and ditches in my late 60's. The moral of the story: Once a ditch digger, always a ditch digger.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
One of the best ditch diggers is a Merry Tiller with pick tines. It digs a 12 inch wide strip and you just shovel it out.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post