SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for SigForum Mechanics or those so inclined: Fuel Injection
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for SigForum Mechanics or those so inclined: Fuel Injection Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted
So my 20 year old Nissan Titan 's starter is going out and in the ultimate design they put the starter in the middle of the engine under the intake manifold. Frown

OK moving past that ~ so I have the intake manifold off and it has the fuel rail attached.
Since everything is off I decided to pull the injectors and clean.
I cleaned them ultrasonically then I used my power probe to verify function, spray pattern with injector cleaner.
I replaced the o rings and reassembled to the intake manifold.

Question: Do I need to prime the rail?

If so ~ just injecting some gas into the rail first?

or will it prime itself ~ I might have read that to just turn the key on first for a short time might prime it?

Any insight or no big deal anyway?

thanks

Posts: 23190 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It will prime itself. It might take ~2-5 extra seconds of cranking the first time.

Posts: 28642 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I would think it should just pump up to the injectors, either once the key is turned (when you hear the pump running), or upon a little crank time. Once the line pressure threshold is reached, it'll start up.

I would just cycle the key on (not to start) for about 5-10 seconds, maybe twice till you don't hear the pump. Then likely it will light right off.

Posts: 7388 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Most FI have return line and "purge" with key on and/or sensors that will not let the ignition fire until it is stable.

Do "key on" for 90 seconds, then "key off" then Key on" for 90 seconds, then "Key Off" then start it.

It might shudder and stumble for a few seconds, then stablize.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44444 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. Cool

Posts: 23190 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Turn the key to the on position. You should hear the fuel pump kick on for a few seconds. When it stops I would repeat the process a few times and then start it up.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16449 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since it has a rail, it needs no priming. Older diesels w/o a rail needed priming, except the VW diesel that was self priming.

-c1steve

Posts: 4118 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
On the Titan starters I have done, there was no problem with restarting. However, I did not completely empty the fuel rail or disassemble the injectors.

Posts: 28642 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
On the Titan starters I have done, there was no problem with restarting. However, I did not completely empty the fuel rail or disassemble the injectors.

I know, I didn't have to but at 20 years old I thought I'd clean and check the function since the intake was off.
I did have one that was a little slow but cleaned up nicely.