SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    B-21 bomber to be unveiled Dec. 2
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

B-21 bomber to be unveiled Dec. 2 Login/Join 
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

Thanks. I didn’t know that the B-1 had afterburners.

It is supersonic, so it has to have them. It is also why it is so pointy - airliners and other sub-sonic aircraft don't need the slim profile. The B-1 is a massive airplane. I would love to fly in one.

A full burner take off at night is definitely an experience to behold.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21851 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
He means the B-52. I was on a Polo Hat Exercise in 1982 as an observer out of KI Sawyer. I was up for 17 hours.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:
How come the article says 20 ICBMs when an Ohio-class can carry 24? Is there something special about the West Virginia, or something "special" about the editor?

Last I knew, the SALT accords limited the number of missiles per vessel, and number of warheads per missile.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3355 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The video is for a starter cartridge engine start on a B-52 for a scramble and MITO. No afterburners on a B-52.
MITO:
Minimum.
Interval.
Take.
Off.
K.I Sawyer AFB 74-76 410th SPS SAC.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16106 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The USAF is betting big on stealth technology remaining effective.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

One of the first times I saw the USAF Thunderbirds was at KI Sawyer (mid-80s?) and the B-52s performed a demo scramble. Dang impressive airplane for its age. I heard an interview with a B-2 pilot commenting on the existing bomber fleet. It was his understanding that the B-21 will eventually replace the B-1B and B-2, but the B-52 would remain. It may become the first 100 year aircraft in our history.

I'd have to agree that the B-1B in full burner take off is the ultimate. I've seen that a few times at Ellsworth airshows. It's a very different sound than a fighter take off.

Posts: 8961 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Correct. The Bone (B-1B) and Spirit (B-2) will be phased out and retired but the Buff (B-52) will remain active with the introduction of the Raider (B-21).

When I worked at Ellsworth (1994-2007) I got to see and hear Bones all the time. And some of their patterns would take them over my house in the Hills. Their sound is unique and as said around here the "sound of freedom." Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16246 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:
How come the article says 20 ICBMs when an Ohio-class can carry 24? Is there something special about the West Virginia, or something "special" about the editor?

Last I knew, the SALT accords limited the number of missiles per vessel, and number of warheads per missile.

This is correct. What is not mentioned in the article is that each of our missies can have up to 14 (I think) warheads, each capable of hitting a separate target.

Each Boomer is capable of wiping out any country that is foolish enough to try to take the US out several fold.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6331 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Add yet ANOTHER new bomber that came out to 'replace' the BUFF (slang for B-52 - Big Ugly Fat Fellow).

I always wondered why the USAF didn't just take a Boeing 767 (or other large airliner) and modify it into a cruise missile carrier. It wouldn't take much - a new wing with hardpoints and wiring, and maybe a bomb bay or two. There would be plenty of room for extra fuel tanks and crew rest areas. Heck, I've seen concepts of C-17s equipped with massive bomb dispensers to dump a LOT of bombs out the back.

It figures the USAF wouldn't want something so 'boring' as an airliner or transport as their new bomber. No, it has to be brand new, shiney, pointy, and really REALLY expensive (and I'm retired USAF).

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21851 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Actually, this one isn't planned to replace the B-52. Since the B-21 projects inception, the plan was to keep the B-52 around as a cruise missile truck / non-penetration bomber, with the B-21 being used for opposed penetration bombing missions. I think the same could be said for the B-2.

quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
Add yet ANOTHER new bomber that came out to 'replace' the BUFF (slang for B-52 - Big Ugly Fat Fellow).

I always wondered why the USAF didn't just take a Boeing 767 (or other large airliner) and modify it into a cruise missile carrier. It wouldn't take much - a new wing with hardpoints and wiring, and maybe a bomb bay or two. There would be plenty of room for extra fuel tanks and crew rest areas. Heck, I've seen concepts of C-17s equipped with massive bomb dispensers to dump a LOT of bombs out the back.

It figures the USAF wouldn't want something so 'boring' as an airliner or transport as their new bomber. No, it has to be brand new, shiney, pointy, and really REALLY expensive (and I'm retired USAF).

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If anybody is interested....

Posts: 14664 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
Thanks!

Addendum: Just found out one of local TV stations has a crew there. They said the ceremony will last 90 minutes and they're covering it live. Local interest is high obviously with Ellsworth AFB being local and the first scheduled to get the B-21s.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16246 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
No sound?

Posts: 7401 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
No sound?

Youtube is about 5 - 10 seconds behind the local TV coverage I have. Sound is good to go on both venues.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
WOW... the profile looks almost UFO-like. Much sleeker and more menacing than I had expected.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
Looks fake!

Hopefully they thought about putting a bathroom in this one.

I can't wait to watch these fly over our house! We are about 50 miles west of Whiteman

Posts: 7401 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The flying trapezoid

Posts: 14664 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Ho hum. All that waiting just to hear Austin give a speech?

Posts: 18087 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Ho hum.

The rollout of the B-2 Spirit was similar.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Pretty good 53 minute video

https://www.newscenter1.tv/liv...residential-library/

NewsCenter1 live from the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, California for a roundtable discussion on the B-21 Raider that was unveiled on Friday evening.

Here are the participants in the roundtable discussion:

Sen. Mike Rounds (R) South Dakota
Col. Joseph Sheffield, Commander, 28th Bomb Wing, EAFB
Rapid City Mayor Steve Allender
Box Elder Mayor Larry Larson
Scott Landguth, Exectutive Director, SD Ellsworth Development Authority
NewsCenter1’s Kevin Stanfield

USN (RET), COTEP #192