SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is the advantage, or disadvantage of Nitrogen filled tires vs Air filled tires?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the advantage, or disadvantage of Nitrogen filled tires vs Air filled tires? Login/Join 
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I run Helium in my truck tires. Now I have to carry ballast to keep it on the road.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7262 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
I run Helium in my truck tires. Now I have to carry ballast to keep it on the road.

The last time I ran helium in my tires, they sounded funny.

Razz

Posts: 4156 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
My car apparently got nitrogen fill at the dealership with purchase. They used metal caps, a no-no with the metal typically used in TPMS valve stems. One got corroded on to the point where I had to use a plier on it. In extreme cases the stem can be broken. So use plastic caps only.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 28586 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
We have nitrogen tanks for pressure testing A/C systems.
If I get stuck on a lube oil change and have to fill all the tires to 120 psi I grab the nitrogen tank or you'll be all day using shop air for 10 tires.

Posts: 1535 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I had new tires installed at Costco they put in nitrogen. 35,000 miles and a couple of summer/winter transitions and I have not had to add anything to the tires. On our other car I have to add air at first big cold snap. YMMV.

Posts: 2054 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nosticks:
Number one rip off by car dealers, followed by window etching, fabric and paint protection.

Don’t forget the non OEM flush services…..

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8350 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Regular air is already 78% nitrogen.

Posts: 53750 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
In central Florida during the winter months it can get very cold overnight, for Florida. I walk my wife out to the car every morning when she leaves for work.

Costcos with tire centers have a free Nitrogen air pump outside, pull up, set the pressure and it auto fills, these don't get the abuse of the normal air compressor fill stations. So hit Costco for Nitrogen

Yes you can mix in air but if you haven't done that to keep it 100% nitrogen then Costco is your best bet.

Posts: 24165 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post