SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    First Oil Change On The Nissan Juke
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First Oil Change On The Nissan Juke Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted
Tabitha has managed to put 7000 miles on it since its purchase in March.

The Sentra 2.0 SE/R's oil filter was conveniently nestled just under the intake manifold behind the brace just out of reach by any tool or the most skilled contortionist. It made for nightmare oil changes as compared to the Frontier, where the filter is right up front facing down, just under the skid plate.

The Juke has addressed the complaints by placing the oil filter down by the oil pan, just behind the apron. Stupid easy to get to and change, since it's opposite the drain plug.

The engine cover is the usual snap off type on all modern cars now and the oil cap is right within reach. I used a large mouth funnel to put the new oil back in.

There's really no need to even lift the car any.

I lift the front slightly to ensure all the old oil drains rearward toward the drain hole.

This is by far the easiest oil change I have done in a long time, leaving the BMW my problem child of maintenance.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34138 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dont bother with doing my own oil changes anymore as it is cheaper/easier to let them shop down the road do them (good guys) but when I did I would base car buying decisions on numerous things, location of filter and drain plug included.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
More car makers should take lessons from that. There is no reason or excuse to make routine oil changes, something you might do 20 or more times over the life of the car, difficult.

Posts: 28005 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
If you are going to take a page out of a design manual, check out the filter placement on this Subaru forester:

http://ab-racing.com/unique-su...ter-2014-oil-filter/

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
My BMW has a vertical canister filter at the front also.

The drain plug is the hard part.

I use a 3 foot extension through the wheel to get to it. Still requires a lift to get a drain pan under it.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34138 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Mars - ever thought of installing an oil drain valve, like a Fumoto, on your Beemer?

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
I've really come to appreciate it when the car designer's think about maintenance. My Dodge Ram with the 5.9 Cummins is one of the best thought out engine designs I've had for performing PM. Fuel and oil filters are easily accessible.

quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
Mars - ever thought of installing an oil drain valve, like a Fumoto, on your Beemer?

I really like those Fumoto drain valves - I've put them on:
* My pickup
* My car
* Fiancee's car
* Daughter's car
* Future step-son's car

This weekend was the 3rd oil change on my future step son's car that we've done together. This time he did all the work under my direction. Working towards getting him comfortable doing this on his own...

Posts: 1806 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
I dont bother with doing my own oil changes anymore as it is cheaper/easier to let them shop down the road do them (good guys) but when I did I would base car buying decisions on numerous things, location of filter and drain plug included.

Same here......I changed my oil a few times but stopped when I realized I was only saving about 10 bucks compared to what my mechanic charges for a oil change. Plus my mechanic tops off all fluids, adds air to the tires, does a courtesy inspection.

Posts: 1629 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I'd rather know my drain plug is not stripped out by an incompetent grease monkey
So I'll do it myself

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39770 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
I dont bother with doing my own oil changes anymore as it is cheaper/easier to let them shop down the road do them

Same here......I changed my oil a few times but stopped when I realized I was only saving about 10 bucks compared to what my mechanic charges for a oil change. Plus my mechanic tops off all fluids, adds air to the tires, does a courtesy inspection.

Ditto. I have no problem paying the extra few bucks to have someone else do my oil changes.

Just be sure your mechanic is reputable and you know a bit about your vehicle, as inexpensive oil changes are used by some (most?) shops as a means to get less-knowledgeable car owners in the door and then dupe them out of money for additional services at a big markup.

For example, you might only be saving $10 by doing that oil change yourself, but on my last car I routinely saved $90+ by doing my air filter replacements myself. It was over $100 for the shop to do it, and I could get the OEM filters for ~$10 and spend literally 2 minutes installing them.

Posts: 32553 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:

I used to have other places change my oil. However, of the 3 places in town, one tried to upsell me on a $149 front differential service for a 2WD pickup (that pickup didn't have a front differential). Another that I was going to frequently with my diesel kept telling me a grease point didn't exist on my drive shaft (I had to show them 3 times on the lift) and finally broke the camel's back when they overfilled my diesel pickup by 2 quarts - then told me that it wouldn't hurt anything (I had to show them in the owner's manual where it specifically states that damage would occur).

Oil changes on my diesel were over $150 (12 quarts of synthetic oil). I can do them for about $90 and make sure that it's been properly greased.

Oil changes on my car run about $60 for synthetic. I can do it myself for about $30.

I'm not really doing it to save money - I'm doing it to make sure it gets done correctly (including properly torquing the oil filter cartridge).

Posts: 1806 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I know two people who have had their engines destroyed from the quick lube places. I don’t trust them to take care of my vehicles like I do or to use synthetic oil when I pay for it (or the correct weight oil, or to fill it properly, or to replace the plug gasket etc.). I can buy synthetic oil from Advance with a filter for $35 so I dont mind doing it myself.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
My dealer charges $22 for an oil change if I bring my own oil. I buy the Mobil 1 cases on sale at Costco.

Out the door for around $55 for full synthetic by a mechanic familiar with my car, oem oil filters, and oem fluids....fair deal in my opinion.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
It looks like a big red tennis shoe. Big Grin

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43920 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
My last oil and tire rotate was pretty painless.

21.50 total.

I put a few hours a week in at the Acura dealership.

No labor charges.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Dang. I read this too fast.

The title referred to the Juke and then I glanced over ....SE/R's oil... looked more to me like ...SE/ ---> R <---'s oil... and thought you had a Juke R for a bit. Thought I'd have to swing by your place and get a ride in one. Big Grin

Reminds me of changing the water pump in my Cadillac. Was all doom and gloom until I read the manual. Turns out I only needed one socket and five minutes. Felt like I had cheated somehow.

Posts: 9168 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not really doing it to save money - I'm doing it to make sure it gets done correctly (including properly torquing the oil filter cartridge).

THIS

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11303 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
The E46 BMWs aren't that bad. I use ramps (with 2x4s out front to ease the slope and clear the front spoiler). Quick drain, easy cartridge filter access up top. Done.
Never have to mess with jacks and stands.

Posts: 3810 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
My Honda S2000 is easy. I suck the oil out with a pump and the filter is accessible from the top.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4239 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
My dealer charges $22 for an oil change if I bring my own oil. I buy the Mobil 1 cases on sale at Costco.

Out the door for around $55 for full synthetic by a mechanic familiar with my car, oem oil filters, and oem fluids....fair deal in my opinion.

I think the 5qt jugs go for $23-25 around here.

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post