SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    License plate recogniton cameras
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

License plate recogniton cameras Login/Join 
posted
Is this a good idea? There was no mention of cost and it is unclear if they will eventually be used to generate revenue from traffic violations. Here is the article and the link:

BILOXI, MS (WLOX) - Biloxi police could soon be using an eye in the sky.

With the exception of Hwy. 90 and the interstate where MDOT has mounted cameras, drivers have not been watched with cameras. A proposal to the city council could change that and put 10 cameras up on some of the city’s busiest intersections like Pass Rd. and Popps Ferry Rd.

According to Major Chris DeBack with the Biloxi Police Department, the cameras are needed especially when heavy traffic is coming in and out of the city.

“During any kind of big event, it would be great to have cameras because you don’t have to rely on driving on the route. You can look at camera coverage to see what’s going on and make adjustments from there,” DeBack said.

A partnership with Mississippi Power will also allow the city to install nine license plate recognition cameras around the city which will bring police’s attention to any wanted automobiles.

“If there’s an alert on that vehicle, maybe it’s stolen or something of that nature, when it comes into the city we’ll get an alert saying that vehicle is in the city,” said DeBack. “It will allow our officers to respond to the immediate location to look for it.”

License plate recognition cameras are in place at many of the state’s most highly traveled entry points. While most cities don’t have the this technology in place DeBack said the cameras could play a key role in crime solving.

“If you’re looking for somebody, and you know a vehicle traveled a certain direction, if you had camera coverage you could easily look at it, follow that vehicle and solve the crime.”

The city council will consider approving the cameras at next week’s meeting. The instillation would be paid for by Mississippi Power.

LINK: http://www.wlox.com/2018/12/01...ld-be-coming-biloxi/

Posts: 17249 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Similar topic discussed at length just a few weeks ago.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/2070057744

quote:
it is unclear if they will eventually be used to generate revenue from traffic violations.

How exactly? Do you know what a license plate reader does?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Trust me, somewhere some police office administrator is try to figure out a way to get the info from the cameras...

when I was a copper, the local sheriff used LPR's on three cars and they only looked for stolen plates...several months later they were using it to find people who hadn't payed their dog and cat taxes....and one of the deputies said that the sheriff had been approached by companies to buy the info for their businesses

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
We aren't' quite there yet... but eventually your plate will be run, automatically, anytime your car is in the eye of a camera mounted in the bumper of every patrol car.
Big brother is watching!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24136 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I don't want the government to have this technology to track our every movement. It will just be a matter of time until it's abused.

Posts: 10850 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
They've had them in Memphis for YEARS. They're mostly used, I believe, for registration enforcement. I think they may actually be used to find stolen cars, but I don't know because I don't make a habit of driving stolen vehicles.

I recall there being some kind of constitutionality issue or similar raised about them or something at one point, so for a while they stopped using them, but they're back in use en masse.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3354 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This technology is being used in Philadelphia, Pa. It's used to find unpaid parking ticket violators who then have their parked vehicle Booted.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
ANPR is old hat here in UK.

A lot easier, too, as there very little in the way of the 'inventive' license plates that so many 'mercans seem to have.

Posts: 11332 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My old Dept. scans for stolen cars, warrants and license suspensions. If there is no "hit" on the tag, the info is not archived.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16100 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
nytime your car is in the eye of a camera mounted in the bumper of every patrol car.
Big brother is watching!

They are mounted stationary at entrances of some sensitive locations. There is more technology located around and outside of NYC and ports than one could imagine.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
when I was a copper, the local sheriff used LPR's on three cars and they only looked for stolen plates...several months later they were using it to find people who hadn't payed their dog and cat taxes....and one of the deputies said that the sheriff had been approached by companies to buy the info for their businesses

Yeah. My point exactly. I know this technology is used by the ATF at gun shows. It is one thing if you are a willing participant, quite another if you are not.

Posts: 17249 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

Yeah. My point exactly. I know this technology is used by the ATF at gun shows. It is one thing if you are a willing participant, quite another if you are not.

well, truthfully, you have no expectation of privacy while in the public.

and your rights only protect you from the govenrment, so if a private citizen was riding around with a LPR and sold the info there is nothing you can do to curtail it.

and I'd bet that regardless of whichever state you are in, you can send a letter and a small fee to the state's DMV to find out what tag belongs to what person...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

quote:
it is unclear if they will eventually be used to generate revenue from traffic violations.

Well, the linked article mentions those friendly speed limit/your speed apparatus being equipped with license plate readers. It's not a real stretch of the imagination to think these could be used to mail speeding tickets to people.

Posts: 10971 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have gravel roads, snow, sleet and slop around here, so license plates are not always clean. Backs of SUV's, cars, PU's are always covered with a fine to heavy dust, which is like red glue. Not really sure if reading the plates is a priority in the rural west, unless the flashing lights are in your mirror!

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
LPRs have been used for years on a local, state and federal basis and reading about it today doesn't shed any new light on the practice.

They have used for a variety of purposes, some known and others will remain unknown.

They can save the plate info but it requires a lot of data storage space given the total number of reads captured on a daily basis and truthfully, LEO uses it for a specific targeted purpose and not to see if you've been speeding or something else.

Amber Alerts and stolen cars are among the uses and unless you are targeted, long before the capture, you're nothing more than a data point in a server farm.

Posts: 4084 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Amber Alerts and stolen cars are among the uses and unless you are targeted, long before the capture, you're nothing more than a data point in a server farm.

That is very uplifting. Did you study nihilistic philosophy??

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

quote:

Well, the linked article mentions those friendly speed limit/your speed apparatus being equipped with license plate readers. It's not a real stretch of the imagination to think these could be used to mail speeding tickets to people.

That absolutely makes zero sense. Speed enforcement cameras are a quarter the price, and don't require a LPR. The above link was the DEA concealing license plate readers in the speed track signs. Speed track signs do not photograph anything.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post