SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help pick a watch... Under $100 **Found one***
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help pick a watch... Under $100 **Found one*** Login/Join 
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted
I don't wear a watch. Scratch that, I wear a watch perhaps 4 times a year, usually while traveling. My old watch bit the dust, and I want to replace it. I have very little knowledge about watches (crystal? WTF is a watch crystal?)

-$100ish dollars, maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less
- easy to set. Remember, I only wear it a few times a year. I don't want to have to get out a manual just to figure out how to set the darn thing
- Digital or analog, I don't care
- Don't want a dead battery that needs replaced every 2-3 years. Solar, or automatic or wind up (they still make those?)
-must be ok in long term storage, unused for months at a time

So what are my options folks?

***Found a cheap one for $20 bucks. Went cheap. Update below.***

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bubbatime,

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Here you go. A Casio sport watch at Walmart for $10. Black, clean and simple.

For how often you wear a watch, it’s perfect. I bought one 4 years ago and the battery is still going fine.

Casio at Walmart

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5757 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11362 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Are you leaning more towards a feature-laden sports watch, or an office and business-wear appropriate piece of man jewelry?

You can get a good 200M water resistant and ISO rated 'Shock Resistant' Timex IronMan or Casio G-Shock for well under $100. They have thick cases and most models are very sporty and digital looking though. They also have illuminating watch faces (eg: Timex Indiglo).

I have a Timex IronMan Shock Resistant model that is almost 20 years old, and I've only had to replace the battery twice. I like that it uses a common coin-type battery, and I can replace it myself.

Casio has some G-Shock models that are solar powered.

For traditional analog watches, Citizen and I think Seiko have some nice self-winding models for around $100. Timex and Casio also have a wide assortment of analog watches. Victorinox/Wenger can be had on sale in that price range. I also like Skagen, b/c they make super thin watches that you forget about having on.

This thread wouldn't be complete w/o a plug for SF's resident jeweler Dave T.

Posts: 3187 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Timex Expedition. Great watch for the money.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of watches I was going to list in the classifieds. One is a Seiko kinetic watch that has never been worn. It’s a little more dressy in appearance. It is kinetic so automatic with battery reserve. No need to change anything out. I can let it go for $100. Let me know. It does come in the box with all paperwork and stuff.

It’s Seiko model SRN049

http://seikousa.com/collections/seiko%20core/SRN049

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do what everyone under 50 does. Look at your cellphone.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

- Currently $91 on Amazon
- Solar, and will hold a charge and keep time for up to 6 months without recharging
- "Atomic" timekeeping, meaning it updates the time from time standard clocks throughout the world, via radio signal. So the time is always accurate
- Waterproof. While you couldn't dive in it, you can swim laps no problem.

I have one, and it's great. Although I did replace the band with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Sports-style watch? Casio G-Shock GW6900-1:

$75 from Amazon, here. Synchs sith the National Observatory clock, a few hours of direct sunlight keeps it running all year, no batteries to replace, and Casio warranty.

Posts: 2466 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
Sports-style watch? Casio G-Shock GW6900-1:

$75 from Amazon, here. Synchs sith the National Observatory clock, a few hours of direct sunlight keeps it running all year, no batteries to replace, and Casio warranty.

Yep! I've been beating the snot out of one of those for 3 or 4 years now.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for G-Shock.

If you need something a little dressier, a Timex Expedition analog would be a good option.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
Here's another option depending on your location.

https://www.target.com/p/men-s...ref=tgt_adv_xasd0002

Cheers~

Posts: 906 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:

That is a nice watch, and a great bargain at $100.

Seiko's 5 series retails for under $100 on Amazon all day. Very solid mechanical watches for $100.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Garmin VivoFit - simple activity tracker that displays the time as well.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I recently got a Seiko 5 for ~ $80 or so.

Great watch and value for the money.

I was searching for a watch with a copper color face and this was it.

Posts: 11856 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
Are you leaning more towards a feature-laden sports watch, or an office and business-wear appropriate piece of man jewelry?

Man jewelry? WTF? I'm not a businessman. I dont care about fashion. I want it to tell time.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Casio F91W-1.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help everyone. I went cheap. $20 cheap. Hold me over for now.

$20 at Target. Has solar power so I dont have to worry about batteries. And easy to set time and change time if I go to different time zones, which is what I was looking for.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
I have a couple of watches I was going to list in the classifieds. One is a Seiko kinetic watch that has never been worn. It’s a little more dressy in appearance. It is kinetic so automatic with battery reserve. No need to change anything out. I can let it go for $100. Let me know. It does come in the box with all paperwork and stuff.

It’s Seiko model SRN049

http://seikousa.com/collections/seiko%20core/SRN049

What's the diameter of the watch? I may be interested if no one else is.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Thanks for the help everyone. I went cheap. $20 cheap. Hold me over for now.

$20 at Target. Has solar power so I dont have to worry about batteries. And easy to set time and change time if I go to different time zones, which is what I was looking for.

That looks decent for $20. Especially being solar powered.

Posts: 26922 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post