SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Work gloves that are non-disposable??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Work gloves that are non-disposable?? Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted
I'm getting so tired of using work gloves that won't even last through one project.

I just got a nice pair of gloves from Duluth Trading that I figured would be great. Hell, their fire hose pants I wear have survived a lot of punishment.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/s...px?processor=content

I was impressed when they arrived, but the forefinger/middle finger seams were completely split after one weekend of screwing with a block retaining wall and gravel. Same issue with various brands of leather from Home Depot.

Does anyone make a pair that I don't need to treat as disposable items? (ie, they last more than a weekend??)

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Send em back to Duluth for a refund

Posts: 26908 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You didn't get penetration
even with the elephant gun.
Picture of cheeze
posted Hide Post
I've had better luck with hawk armor skin gloves. Not much will stand up to masonry work though. Better just work on them callouses.

DONT TREAD ON ME

Posts: 2246 | Location: AZ | Registered: January 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I've been wearing WellsLamont full leather deerskin gloves for decades and have always had good luck with them for work around the house/property and out in the woods from my days fighting fire to cutting firewood nowadays.

Don't know how well they'd hold up to the kind of work you're doing, but they're cheap enough to give it go.

Posts: 20103 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
I use Wells Lamont gloves from Costco. Three pairs for $20. I have been buying them for my tree service crew for 20 years.

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Not really. I have never had a pair last longer than a month. I went to buying nitrile gardening gloves on sale as the cost per day of use was lower than leather, atlas, or mechanix.

Posts: 9964 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Not really. I have never had a pair last longer than a month. I went to buying nitrile gardening gloves on sale as the cost per day of use was lower than leather, atlas, or mechanix.

I've gone the other way too, got sick of spending top dollar on things that wear out too quickly. I use these disposable ones. $3.50 a pair, they last for days to weeks for me.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I like thin gloves that still let me have dexterity for most things.

This is what I've been using for a few years now. You can find them at HD in 3 packs and save a few bucks sometimes.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gre...-25053-030/202709681

They wear out and I replace them. I have a few pairs laying around at any one time. I can rinse them in a sink if they get dirty.

I have leather gloves if I need more protection for something but the thin ones are used for 95% of the work I do.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16400 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
These work awesome

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:

I've gone the other way too, got sick of spending top dollar on things that wear out too quickly. I use these disposable ones. $3.50 a pair, they last for days to weeks for me.

I use similar gloves from the gardening section at Walmart:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mid...ouch-Gloves/38440604

Most of the time throughout the day, I use simple nitrile gloves for regular work, but I'll throw on a set of these gloves for tasks that would rip up the nitriles. About $5.00 a pair and they last me a couple of weeks.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
My most recent favorite are $1.99 at Harbor Freight. Polyurethane coated nylon gloves. Great for gripping dry items and protecting the contact area on your hands. They do get a bit slick when wet, and disintegrate when using them around anything that sparks.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
Skins and the Safe guy have the right idea. I bought a pack or two of the cheap coated ones for work and they actually seem to hold up as good as the more expensive ones. I think I got mine in a bulk pack on Amazon. That way when they get worn out you just toss them instead of feeling bad your $25 gloves have a rip in them.

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I think these are the gloves I got at The Tractor Store. They have a pile lining inside and have held up well:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/...s-large?cm_vc=-10005

I don't know if they are pigskin or cowhide.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Rock/stone/concrete work will tear up most gloves in no time at all.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
Our company started buying these gloves and they are tough. Majestic Gloves. I've always been a leather glove guy, usually buying Tillmans.

Normally I'd blow a hole or two in a pair of leathers after a day of cutting or a week of work. The Majestics just seem to last and last.

ETA: my link only goes to their home page. Search "3437" on their home page.

These things are tough. The gloves are "cut-less" and made with dyneema thread whatever that is, check the link above. They can be found for less than ten bucks.

Posts: 3240 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Lots of good info so far. I haven't done much concrete/stone work in the past, so I didn't realize this was pretty much normal.

I'll have to look into both some of the suggested brands for longevity, as well as some of the more disposable variety.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I forget which one, but one of the animal skin varieties are known to be tougher than others when it comes to stone/masonry work. Deer, Goat, Llama, Giraffe, Baby Seal, one of them. Look into that... from that angle, I mean.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
My most recent favorite are $1.99 at Harbor Freight.

Looks just like what I buy at Costco. Example from a past sale.

Posts: 9964 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two pairs of leather gloves from when I was in the Navy. Thick leather that has taken a beating. The seam for the index finger has split after 20 years of use and the pinky finger has worn through on one pair. The other pair I keep in the truck for fueling up and when I need a pair while out.

http://militaryhandwear.com/pdetail/glove3/

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Depending on amount of dexterity needed, true leather gloves are the best.

Even then, when I was working I rarely had a pair last more than a day.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post