SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Great white shark eats dolphin, killer whale eats great white shark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Great white shark eats dolphin, killer whale eats great white shark Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
“A great white shark that washed up on the South African coast had just eaten a dolphin before another even bigger predator took it out.

Biologist Alison Towner shared photos to social media following the autopsy of the 15-foot-long shark, confirming a 'killer whale predation' was the likely cause of death.

Scientists were called to the scene after a resident stumbled upon the mangled carcass at the Nyara River Mouth on May 28.

The most telltale signs of an orca attack were toothmarks on the creature's head, plus an even more pressing clue - a missing liver. …”

DailyMail article:
https://mol.im/a/13495949

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9418 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11185 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 28591 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Orca (actually members of the dolphin family) are highly evolved, intelligent, and tactically proficient hunters. Sharks in general are extremely primitive by comparison- virtually unchanged for millions and millions of years as a very successful design. Mammalian intelligence wins.

As an aside, if I’d have found that great white first, I’d have a nice set of jaws on the wall…

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15782 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:

As an aside, if I’d have found that great white first, I’d have a nice set of jaws on the wall…

One of our grandsons (5 yrs old) is a huge shark fan. We brought him a shark's tooth necklace from the Caribbean which he loved. Then I told him "You should have seen your grandmother get that tooth. She held the shark down, reached into his mouth, and pulled out one of his teeth!"

Posts: 9713 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 28591 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Soooo like a seafood turducken. Smile.

Whalsharkin if you will. Razz

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7849 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Orca (actually members of the dolphin family) are highly evolved, intelligent, and tactically proficient hunters.
That's what sharks get for messing with 'family'.

Posts: 9236 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16841 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
That’s exactly why I don’t swim in the ocean. I am not at the top of the food chain.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4886 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I remember in the late 1970s, when we were flying over the beaches of Destin and seeing the "tourists" in the water surrounded by sharks and they had no idea.

Monkeys don't swim. Not because they cant, but because they fucking know better...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44415 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
This predation puzzles me.
1. Species identification required, not just primitive movement response like a bass on a worm
2. Risk-reward calculation -- target is a dangerous fish, a fast swimmer, but worth the effort
3. Anatomy known -- that a liver exists, that the liver is the best, that the liver is located exactly here (with variable shark sizes, it would have to be based on visual references and 3D coordination)
4. Pleasure principle -- the liver has much less food energy than eating an entire fish, so finding the liver source and abandoning the rest of the carcass means that hunger alone cannot be the reason for the kill
5. Target acquisition -- knowing where sharks exist, where they feed, and in the vastness of the ocean seems impossible, but...
6. Tactical kills -- clear, focused and violent action from blind spots (visually), and away from the shark defense

With the orca also being trainable, directable, and willing to entertain humans in small ponds, while being innately capable of such violent feeding in the wild oceans, one has to wonder about their self-awareness, learning capacity, and decision-making.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5194 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post