SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bulova Accutron Spaceview (vintage models only)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bulova Accutron Spaceview (vintage models only) Login/Join 
Page late and a dollar short
posted
Ok, another whim here. Anybody here tutor me?

I’ve been trying to learn about these. There’s a lot of conflicting information and from what I’ve researched there are five classifications of these. The factory built display models made to show off the the tuning fork and the electronics contained within, ones converted from regular Accutrons with a factory authorized kits, factory assembled ones made for retail sale and lastly, unauthorized “parts bin assembled” ones. Unfortunately while there’s information out there about the watches history and the various models I can’t find anything to guide me.

So, anybody guide me what to look for? Anything I find won’t be “mint”, I’m looking for a daily driver, just don’t want to get a Frankenstein.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8405 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Early 1970"s i purchased one from a local jewelry store.... Astronaut model??.. clear face so as to see inside workings... Tuning fork/wire coils/etc... Time setting required turning a fold down flap on back of case.... Sort of a squared gold tone case with a metal band.... Very accurate in keeping time because of the tuning fork....worked flawlessly for 30 years then stopped when changing a battery.... Unable to find anyone to work on it.. Put away in a drawer but in Aug 2016 a major flood destroyed our house and all contents and watch was lost...... drill sgt.

Posts: 2089 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skywag
posted Hide Post
Not a "spaceview".......But I bought this new one. When was it? Was it about 1965?

Posts: 181 | Location: United States | Registered: January 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
drill Sgt., Sounds like a 214 model from what I’ve read so far.

Skywag, what a beauty.

I have an Accutron that I bought at a jewelry store in the mid 70’s. SS case, red and black dial face.

My purchase caused some issue with an ex-fiancée back then. Couldn’t understand why I’d pay that much for a watch, think it was 100-150 range back then.

The watch is still with me today…..Her, well……

Went “Senior citizen crazy” here. Haven’t worn watches for probably twenty years, just started again. New band on my Accutron. My dad’s 1962 Bulova Self Winding got a new band too.

Interesting interaction I had a few weeks ago at the shop. A fellow came in looking for older guns. He noticed my Accutron and asked me if I knew much about it and how long I had it for. Told him “almost fifty years” and I was the original buyer. Turns out he was a pawnbroker and collected Accutrons also.

My pride and joy though is a 1951 Bulova Director. It was replaced in 1962 as the jeweler said it wasn’t worth fixing. So it got dumped in a junk drawer and after my dad died in ‘67 it got moved to a leather shaving kit bag where it remained for years. Last count it has been to twelve different addresses and from Michigan out west and back, never got lost or tossed. Dug it out, sent it in and had it repaired. Presently wearing it, got it back last week. Not a good financial decision but that’s life.

Looks like it’s time to start visiting garage and estate sales.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8405 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Ebay seems to be the place to look for a Spaceview. I see many examples in various conditions and prices vary widely. It's a little crazy to see $20k Rolexes (with verification of course) with bids. I recently picked up an Aerostar with open heart dial at a decent price. If you're looking for a Spaceview, patience will be needed until you see a piece that speaks to you. Bull-a-Va or Bu-Lo-va reminds me of the Garand pronunciation. Happy Hunting. Bulova is an interesting maker and Citizen seems to be doing good things with it lately.

This one looks nice as it has been "rephased" to 1.55v as the original used 1.35v battery. And has discount bin. If I was looking, I would consider something like this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20493...r=artemis&media=COPY

Posts: 3600 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
Ebay seems to be the place to look for a Spaceview. I see many examples in various conditions and prices vary widely. It's a little crazy to see $20k Rolexes (with verification of course) with bids. I recently picked up an Aerostar with open heart dial at a decent price. If you're looking for a Spaceview, patience will be needed until you see a piece that speaks to you. Bull-a-Va or Bu-Lo-va reminds me of the Garand pronunciation. Happy Hunting. Bulova is an interesting maker and Citizen seems to be doing good things with it lately.

This one looks nice as it has been "rephased" to 1.55v as the original used 1.35v battery. And has discount bin. If I was looking, I would consider something like this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20493...r=artemis&media=COPY

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/e3Qz8uzFZxU?si=ROgrPxZIoVpvS9Xq" title="YouTube video player" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Yes...at 13:39 of the video is a closeup of the watch style that I wore for almost 30 years... tnx for the memories. ......................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2089 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post