SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NASCAR denies ads for AR-15 and AK-47 as a 'gradual shift on guns'
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NASCAR denies ads for AR-15 and AK-47 as a 'gradual shift on guns' Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
Admittedly my knowledge of NASCAR is limited to knowing they drive fast cars around a track, but isn’t the typical NASCAR fan also a gun fan?

I spose the other major sports have long gone this direction, but I have to wonder if there will be any fallout from this.

https://mol.im/a/7461995

NASCAR has rejected advertisements from several firearm companies which were pitched for their raceway programs during the summer, in a move branded a 'colossal mistake' by firearm companies.

It comes amid heightened public concern over assault-style rifles after they were used in a string of mass shootings - but is especially controversial in a sport that is so closely associated with gun culture.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12337 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe the gun grabbers will support NASCAR. I quit when NASCAR got involved with the CSA flag flap. Besides, I miss the last generation of drivers.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lechiffre
posted Hide Post
Funny thing is NASCAR is seen as the AR-15 of the car world by the people they are trying to impress.

Posts: 625 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think it'll make any difference to NASCAR's bottom line. Maybe a little in the short-term, but certainly not in the long. The NASCAR fans I know are just as invested in that sport (some even more so) as they are in football - and it doesn't seem that Crapernick's anti-American stunts have had any long-lasting effect on the NFL.

Posts: 4983 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NASCAR peaked in the late 90's and then they tried to appeal to a "broader market"....sponsors are fleeing the sport, teams are going under, fans are leaving in droves. Go watch World of Outlaws.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/d...nascar/#759f21cc1df5

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Every decision NASCAR has made for the last decade seems to be geared towards suicide. This is just another in a long list of moves to destroy itself. Already nobody can afford to run a car without loosing money. New drivers are hand picked by their sponsors, not their skill. It seems like NASCAR wants to be a closed-wheel version of Indy. It’s a declining sport. This decision won’t help.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Don't watch NASCAR, never have! So, they decide not to display ads for ARs and AKs.

Just another virtue signaling dumb-ass move by libtards pandering to someone, not sure who that would be.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
NECKCAR has been dying the last 10-12 years. They’ve been removing grandstand seats for years, and their TV ratings are a small fraction of what they were. This will just be another nail in the coffin.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Seems like they are going the way of the NFL, although by slightly different means.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17280 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Watched NASCAR in the Rusty Wallace era...he was my favorite driver and team with Robin Pemberton leading the way. Also enjoyed Mark Martin, the Labonte brothers, Dale Jarret, Dale Earnhardt, et. al. Just a GREAT era for NASCAR. Jeff Gorden was kind of the new-comer in that era and was so different from the rest with his California cocky attitude...he was a Yankee. Smile But I grew to respect him and his driving through the years. Those guys prompted MANY hours of online racing when the video game came out. All through friggin' DIAL UP modem...that's how long ago that was!!

When those competitive gents retired, NASCAR seemed to take a big ol' dump. I cannot STAND either of the Busch brothers....prima donna assholes and too full of themselves. The rules are so freaking convoluted, I could no more tell you how the winner for the cup is determined than how to build a nuclear power plant. Like someone hilariously posted some time ago (might have been Mr. Sigmonkey), I just have a vision of someone stepping on their own dick. That's how bad NASCAR has gotten. About the only cool thing left is the opening prayer, National Anthem (most of the time, if the singer doesn't "show off" themselves), how it honors our military, and the best part...the fly-over. After that...change the channel.

NASCAR is dead to me...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I quit watching nascar a long time ago. it'll bite them in the ratings with the southern enthusiasts. You reap what you sow.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I quit watching nascar about 3 or 4 years ago after decades of watching. They have been digging themselves into a hole for many years now.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
NASCAR has been turning left for a long time...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43903 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I miss the days of Davey Allison, Alan Kulwicki, Tim Richmond, etc...

Recently they only focus on a scant few. I don't dislike any of the drivers, but every time the show came on, the same guy. Jeff. Jeff. Jeff Gordon did this, Jeff Gordon did that. JJ anywhere you looked it was JJ (not Yeley) Later, Kyle Busch. Busch. Busch. Kyle Busch didn't win. Kyle Busch won here again. Lastly, you couldn't turn around without seeing Dale Jr. Dale Jr has his daddy's something or another. Dale Jr. took a dump in the infield. Dale Jr. has a an evil stepmother...

Seem the flavor of the week championship system and running someones name into the ground isn't the way to go. The Brickyard 400 looked to be near 30% attendance at best. The night race at Bristol was all of 40%. Keep in mind that this was the same Bristol that had a ten year wait list back when it was worth buying tickets for.

Fat boy France hasn't destroyed it yet, so they need to get any advertisement they can before they realize nobody is watching anymore.

Posts: 9159 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Heh heh, good one.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well done, as always, sir!

Posts: 8625 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I quit Nascar about the time we relocated to Richmond Va (Nov 2001)

I was a die hard Nascar fan for years prior to that starting with Geoff Bodine, all the way to Rick Mast and Sterling Marlin.

Me and the guys assigned to the service division of the construction company we worked for would get together and attend a few races each year. Each guy had his favorite from Mark Martin to Rusty Wallace. My dad who was the superintendent was neutral and loved going for the thrill of it.

Ever since the owners children took over, it is just a SJW organization somewhat in disguise.

Heck half my hats are embroidered with Rick Mast car number and Remington Arms.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love auto racing but not the oval track variety, so NASCAR just never appealed to me. But there are fanatical fans around every corner here in Texas. I just don't understand why NASCAR would feel the need to get on the pc side of things when practically none of fans would want or support it. I guess they'd rather piss off Joe Six pack than an army of angry Twitter bots.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3537 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah......I remember NASCAR.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:

Big Grin

You'd have to go back to the 60's, Cale Yarborough, the Allison boys and actual STOCK cars to pique my interest. You know, when you could identify the car without a score card.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15240 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post