SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does a new fence need multiple coats of stain?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does a new fence need multiple coats of stain? Login/Join 
posted
Hey, we have a new fence, just a couple month old. We're staining it with Behr Premium Transparent Cedar Naturaltonr stain. We're concerned a second coat will make it darker/orangier than we'd like.

Do you all think a second coat is necessary? We're mainly applying the stain with a roller.

Thanks!

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it pressure treated wood or cedar?

Posts: 12728 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I would follow the directions found on the can, or get ahold of the manufacturer.

My default would be a second coat while it is laying there on sawhorses. But again, check with the manufacturer.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5158 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.deckstainhelp.com/staining-a-new-deck/

Posts: 12728 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cusingeorge
posted Hide Post
You need to read the label, most will tell you if you can apply another coat after the first has dried. Most will tell you not to, unless it’s a water base.

Most semi transparent stains will not get darker with multiple coats, but they can form a film on the surface that will haze over in damp weather and eventually peel.

My tongue swore, but my mind was still unpledged.

Posts: 2196 | Location: Calumet, Oklahoma  | Registered: August 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Last stain I used was Cabot oil and there were no second coats with it. Once dried it was sealed and another coat wouldn't go on right.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
No you don't. Cabot is much better stuff BTW, would prolly last 3-4x longer than the Behr before cleaning and recoat required. The transparent stains are not as UV protective than a semi-transparent stain. I always go with a semi-tranparent, non-water (oil) based, like Cabot or TWP, both are really good.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8696 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, that product recommends a second coat

It will darken the color and go more towards a neutral yellow/orange cedar color. Spread rate is much further up to 600ft/2 so it’s really just filling in where it was thin on initial application

Make sure to keep the product mixed. If you don’t the pigment concentration will be stronger towards the bottom of the can

Feel free to contact me at email in profile if you have questions or concerns

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6236 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
No you don't. Cabot is much better stuff BTW, would prolly last 3-4x longer than the Behr before cleaning and recoat required. The transparent stains are not as UV protective than a semi-transparent stain. I always go with a semi-tranparent, non-water (oil) based, like Cabot or TWP, both are really good.

Read any manufacturers recomendations for application.

You’ll find Cabot is a wet on wet application (until product stops soaking in), this a second coat for all practical purposes. It’s a linseed oil product that actually promotes mildew growth and discoloration of improperly prepared substrates. I refer to court cases in PacNW

If you live in a region with high UV concentrations water based products are better than oils for longevity(why many have gone to an alkyd/acrylic formulation). UV rays will degrade oil in a short period, most within a year on decks and 3-5 on fences. Oils have the ease of reapplication year to year than water based which is more film forming. There are some exceptions when water based is siliconized for substrate penetration. That’s a different topic though

Any semi transparent product filters UV better than transparent and will last longer

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6236 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post