SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody Else Made the Switch to a Puck/Bar Shampoo?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody Else Made the Switch to a Puck/Bar Shampoo? Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
All my life when I needed a bottle of shampoo I just walked down the aisle and looked for a bottle that was relatively inexpensive and not obviously aimed at women—although the vast majority are. About a year ago I tried Duke Cannon’s Shampoo Puck, a disc-shaped shampoo that comes in a tin. Masculine, pleasant smell (barrel char), and now that I’ve figured out the trick, long lasting. The trick is don’t keep the puck in the can, it’ll get soft and turn pasty—not good. Buy a soap tray of some type; I bought a bamboo lattice type of tray and the thing will last for months.

Here’s a link to their website and the military related charities that they support. Obviously, from there you can also look around at their products. FWIW, I’ve ordered the Barrel Char Shampoo Puck a couple times, I made this post because I just put in an order—thought I’d try the Gold Rush Fever scent this time.

Duke Cannon Military Heritage

Posts: 13239 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
I’ve used a puck before and liked it. The particular brand I used had a lot of dye in it and was coloring my shower so I stopped. I would like to find a different brand with less color.

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yep, also a fan. Good stuff.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I use Kirk's Castile bar soap for everything. Kroger is about 1/2 the price of Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Kirks-O...-Count/dp/B004JMML9I

Posts: 4695 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I've used a few. As a head shaver, I don't really need much shampoo and I don't like using harsher body soaps on my head and face. It makes for dry skin.
I've used Ogallala Bay Rum and Sterling Shave soap. They both are pretty good shampoo bars.

I'll try to put Duke Cannon on my list.

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kirks is avail at Wallyworld and also comes in a pump bottle

Posts: 1401 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I make my own coconut oil soap and use it for everything. I stopped buying soap and shampoo years ago.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I make my own coconut oil soap and use it for everything. I stopped buying soap and shampoo years ago.

You mind sharing the recipe?

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooger:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

You mind sharing the recipe?

Download the Soapcalc app and plug in your preferences for oils and it'll give you the ratio of lye/water. I use 36 oz of coconut oil and add either lemongrass scent or eucalyptus/peppermint. I stay away from the "fragrance oils" and use only essential oils. I get exposed to enough chemicals as it is.

If you're just starting out in soap making, it takes a few ruined batches before you get the hang of it, but it's worth it IMO.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find Irish Springs leaves the best sheen on my own bald head.

We believe arming our fellow Americans – both physically and philosophically – helps them fulfill our Founding Fathers' intent with the Second Amendment: To serve as a check on state power.

Posts: 280 | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post