SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My pretty good egg and cheese sandwich
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My pretty good egg and cheese sandwich Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I beat three extra large eggs, but I don’t scramble them. Instead, I just pour them into an 8” skillet and cook them exactly the way I cook fried eggs. That produces a homogeneous disk of blended whites and egg yolks (the dark bits are from my herbed butter):

Then I cut the disk in half, stack the halves, and trim them to fit onto a slice of German-baked pumpernickel (I eat the trimmed-off egg crescents separately):

Then I add a slab of Muenster cheese:

Then into the microwave for a few seconds to get the cheese melty:

A danged good sandwich!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9011 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
That looks delicious. Tell me about where/how you get your bread? Smile

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9163 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:

I don't know where Mr. P.S. gets his, but the local Aldi usually has German pumpernickel.

I don't shop there so much, any more; they are almost always out of stock on at least two or three items on my list and that requires a supplemental trip to the Walmart "Neighborhood Store" or Publix, so I tend to just bypass Aldi.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30743 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Looks very tasty but I am wondering ...

how aerodynamic are those eggs disks before you trim them? How far can you frisbee one across the front yard?

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15913 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
how aerodynamic are those eggs disks before you trim them? How far can you frisbee one across the front yard?

LOL. I have a dog who would love to find out...
Big Grin
Great looking sandwich.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24186 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
I do the same thing, but I just throw the extra egg pieces into the sammich.

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I thought the brown layers were two slices of trimmed sausage patty, waiting for bread, until I read the words.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15913 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...do justly, love
mercy, walk humbly...
posted Hide Post
Makes me hungry!

We have chickens and an abundance of fresh eggs to eat regularly.

My occasionally OCD brain would have to put that big ole chunk of cheese between the 2 egg frisbees though.

Posts: 741 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: September 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I just pour them into an 8” skillet and cook them exactly the way I cook fried eggs.

So, do you flip the eggs, or just cover them to let them cook through or what?

Nice sammich btw.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:

I buy it on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001...REG6K96W881QD5HCP8S1

About $26 for a box of 11 packets. Each packet has 6 slices. Unopened packets keep good for months at room temperature.

One trick that purchasers ought to know: The slices usually adhere, and may break if you try to separate them by force. I find a corner that I can separate a bit, then slide a table knife into the gap.

I discovered this bread years ago and have never been without it since. Amazon tells me that I’ve ordered it 27 times. Smile

My local Whole Foods store offers several Mestemacher products, including a Pumpernickel that’s more like most American’s idea of it. I stick with the German form though.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9011 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
quote:
I just pour them into an 8” skillet and cook them exactly the way I cook fried eggs.

So, do you flip the eggs, or just cover them to let them cook through or what?

Nice sammich btw.

I put a little bit of water into the skillet before I pour the beaten eggs in. Meanwhile, I’ve been warming a Corelle plate with a round pot holder on it (for insulation). After I set the skillet on the stove I set the warmed & insulated plate on top of it. Steam cooks the top of the eggs, so no need to flip.

Serious about crackers

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Yuck

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Yuck

美しいサンドイッチ

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43926 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
It's 12:14 PM and I'm thinking what should I have for lunch.

Problem solved! And I have BACON too. Win Win!

I order the German breads in that size/shape/package from Amazon, the vendor is Mestemacher, and lately I've been ordering the Variety Assorted 3-Pack, just trying out different styles.

Here is one of the several variety packs AMAZON LINK

I have not been able to buy this type of bread from Aldi's in quite some time, I don't know what the issue is, and when I inquire no one has any idea at store level. Good thing that when you buy it has a really long shelf life.

Many thanks to the OP his wonderful cooking tips.

Posts: 11865 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Kind of reminds me of an omelet type sandwich without all the "stuff". I do like an egg and cheese sandwich but I gotta have a little runny yolk in there somewhere.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5055 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

I don't know where Mr. P.S. gets his, but the local Aldi usually has German pumpernickel.

I don't shop there so much, any more; they are almost always out of stock on at least two or three items on my list and that requires a supplemental trip to the Walmart "Neighborhood Store" or Publix, so I tend to just bypass Aldi.

that seems to be the Aldi business model,

I Still shop there often, but I go in realizing I will not get every thing I am looking for

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10436 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
One of my college roommates used to (maybe still does) fry eggs for sandwiches in squares to match the shape of the bread. Of course, we called him "Square Egg Greg." Wouldn't you know it, he was an engineer. We gave him a round/cylindrical loaf of bread for his birthday one time, just to see how he would adapt.

Posts: 6516 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I buy it on Amazon:

About $26 for a box of 11 packets. Each packet has 6 slices. Unopened packets keep good for months at room temperature.

One trick that purchasers ought to know: The slices usually adhere, and may break if you try to separate them by force. I find a corner that I can separate a bit, then slide a table knife into the gap.

I discovered this bread years ago and have never been without it since. Amazon tells me that I’ve ordered it 27 times. Smile

My local Whole Foods store offers several Mestemacher products, including a Pumpernickel that’s more like most American’s idea of it. I stick with the German form though.

You can also find good bread at Dudley’s Bakery. Wink

https://www.dudleysbakery.com/hometest/

https://www.dudleysbakery.com/...re/specialty-breads/

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14042 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I buy it on Amazon:

Pipe Smoker had a thread on this stuff several years ago. As a result I bought some. HUGE difference between German and American versions. The German is bland while the American has molasses and a sweet taste. Many who love the American style will find the German uninspiring.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16260 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
quote:

I buy it on Amazon:

A.

You can also find good bread at Dudley’s Bakery. Wink

https://www.dudleysbakery.com/hometest/

https://www.dudleysbakery.com/...re/specialty-breads/

It's been a couple of years since I've been to Tip Top in Carlsbad, just off the 5. I have always had a great meal from them. They have a good deli and a small market of German foods of various kinds. Check it out sometime.

Tip Top Meats & Deli

Posts: 11865 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post