March 13, 2023, 07:27 AM
irreverent
rewatching series or movies,
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
All the time.
Every year I used to re-read the Harry Potter series right before the new one came out so I’d be refreshed.

I used to read Heinlein “Stranger in a Strange Land” every year (alternating with another book of his- Job: comedy of justice).
Right now I’m reading “The Passage” by Justin Cronin again because this new series “The Last of Us” reminds me a bit of it.
Every Thanksgiving my husband and I used to watch “Lord of the Rings” around Thanksgiving.

I watched the Firefly series over and over again while I was doing my masters program studying for exams. Watched “Breaking Bad” at least 2-3 times while writing my thesis.

The last notable series I’ve rewatched is the Game of Thrones. Read the books at least twice from beginning to end. I rewatched that a few different times, and still pull up fav episodes when I can’t find anything I enjoy on.
There are others, these just stand out.

we are replacing carpet in our upstairs with hardwood soon, (had a water leak that flooded the carpet anyway,, ) and one of the rooms has my book 'collection' in it

most of the SciFi I have read since high school,

I'm going to sell off a pile of it, stuff I will never read again, but almost all of the works by Niven I will keep and all my Heinlein,

Smile
I have read Stranger in a Strangeland a few times, (as well as Foundation, and Dune) and am about due to reread it

Do you have the “Stainless Steel Rat” series, by chance? Harry Harrison, I think. Another I enjoyed was actually loaned by a friend “Four Lords of the Diamond “. Both completely not Heinlein, but still cool to the teenage me.

"Trust, but verify."
March 13, 2023, 10:48 AM
corsair
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
Tried watching Rome, I just couldn’t get into it. I'll try again. Is Black Sails on HBO as well? Haven’t heard of that, but sounds like something I’d enjoy.

Black Sails was an original production on Starz and takes its cues as the prequel to the Stevenson book Treasure Island. Quick check, I see the first season is available for free on Amazon Prime. The second season is the draggiest of the four seasons but, if you can power through it, it does set-up things for the remaining two seasons. I will say the show has some of the best sailing scenes since Master & Commander.

While Rome didn't win over any executive approval at HBO to continue on, they were a bit premature as the historical-fiction genre was just getting started. Starz jumped into the fray and found success with Spartacus, then followed it up with Black Sails & Outlander. Netflix released Marco Polo and The Last Kingdom. History channel had Vikings and BBC had Downton Abbey, Poldark and Peaky Blinders with Netflix.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: corsair,
March 13, 2023, 01:33 PM
irreverent
Thanks, I’ll check it out on Amazon.
Might be time to watch Ted Lasso as well- new season on Wednesday, I think

"Trust, but verify."