SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lamborghini revives the Countach
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lamborghini revives the Countach Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by car541:
Does it still overheat whenever it is driven hard, or stopped in traffic?

They misnamed it, should have been the Lamborghini incontinent. Or maybe Countach is Italian for "involuntary loss of fluids".

Video of a Countach Rally recently. Which actually highlights issues on the Rally many cars had.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25431 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
For borderline $3M it better have the rear spoiler!

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2243 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot of these will probably go to China. I've seen more Lambo's being driven on city streets, parked outside hotels, and even parallel parked on the street in China than I can count. They are THE status symbol car in China and the rich engage in very conspicuous consumption. I often stay in a Hilton/Conrad complex in the city of Dalian, which was built and originally owned by the richest man in China (ca. 2012). His son lived in the Conrad and had several Lambo's in rotation, and a different one would be on display out front each morning as I went to work.

If you haven't seen a mid-engine supercar used a grocery getter, I remember once in Beijing in San Litun seeing a tall, thin, very high-heeled woman walk out of a high end boutique, pop the frunk on her Ferrari, drop her shopping bag in, then get in, fire it up, and wind it out to redline as she drove away. My guess was she did not buy the car with her own money.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lefty Sig,

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Nice lines.

I'm looking forward to not being able to own one.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
RE: A manual option.
Pagani offered a manual on the Zonda for the full production run. 450-790hp, though I don't recall which models did/didn't have the manual option.

Koenigsegg also offered a manual on everything up to the Agera, IIRC, but those a FI V8s.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15359 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
Only car I ever had a poster of in my room.
Right next to Farah Fawcett, I'm guessing.

Not quite that old. More like Cindy Crawford.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I love it!!! I’d take the original over this new version but I love that Lamborghini is honoring one of their most iconic (and my personal favorite) cars by brining it back.

It looks way better than I expected when I read the thread title.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21118 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
Only car I ever had a poster of in my room.
The car in your poster probably has the rear spoiler, didn't it? That's the iconic Countach that exists in minds of many.

It's not always about what is most efficient. If that was the case, nobody would want a manual anymore. The rear wing is like the exclamation point at the end of a sentence. Both the old and the new looks unfinished in the back without it.

Posts: 2664 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Does not seem like much of a feat to me especially considering how crazy expensive these automatic transmissions and their parts are.

If Lamborghini had that kind of budget, the Aventador wouldn't still be on sale, nor would the a rebadged Audi/Porsche/Bentley SUV be on sale. How many times has Ferrari replaced their V12 car while Lambo still putts around with the Aventador and a single clutch sequential manual?

quote:
Pagani offered a manual on the Zonda for the full production run. 450-790hp, though I don't recall which models did/didn't have the manual option.

Koenigsegg also offered a manual on everything up to the Agera, IIRC, but those a FI V8s.

Problem is that's 10 years ago. We're back to costing too much to revive production or redesign more than an excellent body kit. Whenever sales go down, Lambo has to make an upgrade to a current model, or put some new body panels on a current model to sell at a super high markup with limited numbers. They aren't Porsche or Ferrari where they have massive R&D for racing and road cars and make stuff for other car companies. They're a niche sub-brand like Bentley in the VW Group.

Posts: 4204 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
quote:

Problem is that's 10 years ago. We're back to costing too much to revive production or redesign more than an excellent body kit. Whenever sales go down, Lambo has to make an upgrade to a current model, or put some new body panels on a current model to sell at a super high markup with limited numbers. They aren't Porsche or Ferrari where they have massive R&D for racing and road cars and make stuff for other car companies. They're a niche sub-brand like Bentley in the VW Group.

Agreed, just saying that it could be done, if they [VW AG] wanted it, but the take rate would probably be 1 or 2 of the 112 car run, so not with the $$/effort.

Posts: 15359 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:

If Lamborghini had that kind of budget, the Aventador wouldn't still be on sale, nor would the a rebadged Audi/Porsche/Bentley SUV be on sale. How many times has Ferrari replaced their V12 car while Lambo still putts around with the Aventador and a single clutch sequential manual?

Well, I'm certainly no expert, but Ferrari produces a LOT larger number of models than Lamborghini.

Just off the top of my head, Lambo produced the Countach from the mid 70s through the 80s, then had the Diablo for the 90s. They then diversified and had a pair of models (minus the one-off special edition cars, such as the Venino, Centenario, etc). They built the V-10 Gallardo and the V-12 Murcialago, and now the V-10 Huracan and V-12 Aventador.

Meanwhile, Ferrari has more models than I can name, much less remember. . . Of course, I don't know of any Ferrari tractors, so Lambo DOES have an advantage there. Big Grin *

* I do prefer Lambos, and would LOVE a Lambo tractor.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21851 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Cool. But the Corvette still a bargain.
And the Corvette shouldn't even be a part of the same discussion as any of the Lamborghinis. Lambo's are Supercars, while the Corvette is a bargain basement American hotrod.

That aside from top end, which you can do nowhere. The corvette z06 will literally smoke a Lamborghini on the street in any category except the turning heads category and is still comfortable to drive. You ever drive a lamborghini around town or been in one? They absolutely suck....not comfortable, don't drive well, don't feel well. Ferrari is a much more drivable car, but only if you're under 5'10. Cool factor, yes.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
The corvette z06 will literally smoke a Lamborghini on the street in any category except the turning heads category and is still comfortable to drive.
With all due respect, the gentleman I know who owns a new SVJ Aventador would be more than willing to run any Corvette owner for pink slips. An all wheel drive, 700hp supercar would absolutely embarrass the ZO8. It wouldn't even be close. And people don't buy Supercars because they're comfortable any more than they buy them for their fuel economy.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
as much as I'd like to 'like it', to me it is missing the important elements that made the original an iconic car

they should have kept the original body styling and just improved the engine and the electronics

Posts: 53206 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
That is a pretty, pretty car.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Annnnnnd they are all gone..

100% sold out...

Link

Official: the Lamborghini Countach LPI 800-4 has sold out

In today’s least surprising news, Lambo’s hyper-hybrid, €2m+ wonder has gone

It’s ‘heritage’. That’s how Lamborghini itself describes the interior of the new Countach unveiled in California, and the one you see here. Both the external paintjob and red/black leather interior was designed to commemorate Boss Ferruccio’s own LP 400 S back in the day.

We’re opening with the interior because this is the closest mere mortals will get to experiencing the new Countach. Just 112 are being built, each costing €2m (plus taxes), and Lamborghini has confirmed to TopGear.com that they’re all sold out.

Not entirely unsurprising, but still… all gone. While we’re (digitally) sat inside the Countach’s cockpit, which closely resembles the Sián’s – including that fighter-jet inspired starter button – let us explain a new function on the 8.4in touchscreen. The ‘Stile’ button.

Once pressed, says Lamborghini, this Stile button “explains the Countach design philosophy to its privileged audience”. Privileged indeed. The new Countach packs a 6.5-litre naturally-aspirated V12 pumping out 770bhp on its own, while a 48V electric motor sits between that engine and the seven-speed ‘ISR’ gearbox for an additional 34bhp.

Allied to four-wheel-drive, the new Countach is capable of 0-62mph in 2.8s, 0-124mph in 8.6s, and a top speed of 221mph. The whole car weighs 1,595kg (dry), features a 43/57 front/rear weight distribution, and even an electronically-controlled rear spoiler with three positions.

“The first Countach has been present in our Centro Stile as a model for some years now”, said Lamborghini’s design boss Mitja Borkert. “Whenever I look at it, it gives me goose bumps and it serves as the perfect reminder for me and the entire design team to design every future Lamborghini in a visionary and futuristic way.”

Posts: 23512 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
LP 500 Prototype Revived

quote:

Lamborghini has already celebrated the Countach's 50th anniversary by unveiling a modern-day tribute with the electrified LPI 800-4, so what are they up to next? Before we answer this question, we should say the Countach prototype residing at the company’s museum in Sant'Agata Bolognese is actually the second car built.

The original LP 500 unveiled on March 11, 1971, at the Geneva Motor Show was destroyed in early 1974 after a crash test in the UK necessary to homologate the production car in Europe. The first prototype was ultimately scrapped, but it looks as though Lamborghini is reviving the spirit of the initial Countach with an official recreation.

Significantly different in design compared to the road-going Countach launched in 1974, the LP 500 was designed by none other than Marcello Gandini and tested by the company’s chief test driver Bob Wallace with a 4.0-liter engine. The showcar from Geneva had a 5.0-liter unit and a platform frame instead of a tubular one. The production model that followed was assembled in 1,999 examples until 1990 when the Diablo was launched.

The classic Countach spawned five different series during its lengthy 16-year life cycle and had a design that gradually became more intricate as opposed to the cleaner look of the original prototype. Those longing for the smoother LP 500 are in for a real treat as it appears Lamborghini is about ready to "repair" history by resurrecting the original prototype.

We're already at teaser number three and logic tells us the recreation will be unveiled before the end of the year since 2021 marks the Countach's half a century of existence. It goes without saying the car will strictly remain a one-off, likely to reside at Lamborghini's museum in Italy where the second (out of a total of three) prototypes currently calls home.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post

Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
I wonder if you still have to drop the engine to change the clutch? I drove a S model years ago, fun car and fast, but would not want to pay the maintenance costs!

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Does it hold more grocery bags than a 1974 Pinto?
I'm going to go out on a limb here, but my bet is not one Lambo has been used to haul groceries in 25 years. Smile

when I was a young pup in the grocery biz, I had a semi regular customer,
I say semi, cause he only shopped when his maid or assistant was too busy doing something else, or he wanted to get out,

he always drove a Ferrari, he had several,
they don't hold many bags,

re corvettes, I managed to stuff 2 shopping carts worth of bags in a 79 Vette,
enough room left for the driver,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post