SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The CFO has given me permission to get a spotting scope..
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The CFO has given me permission to get a spotting scope.. Login/Join 
Picture of smlsig
posted
We were in Yellowstone a few weeks ago and my wife saw a few people with spotting scopes and she went over and asked to look through them...

The one I saw was a Swarovski so the view was pretty good...even better than my Steiner binos.

Given up to a $1000 budget what models should I be looking at. I’m thinking something in the 40-60X range and relatively compact for hiking would be ideal.

Thanks!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6317 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
I would look at Swarovski, Steiner and Leupold.

Posts: 9042 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
With that budget, Vortex or Steiner would be my suggestion. Buy their best model that you can afford. Try them first. The Big 3, Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss are well outside your budget.
Nearly forgot, Cabela's Euro Optics are surprisingly good. I think Mepro makes them.

Posts: 12466 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
I wondered how a CFO connects to optics. Now I understand. Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Add Kowa into the mix. Some of their compacts are in budget. Meopta is out of price range.

Consider the higher end Athlon. Nikon might have some options too.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veni,vidi,Vici
Picture of Campusninja
posted Hide Post
No first experience with, but Maven Optics has some spotting scopes in your $ range. Used Swarovski scopes maybe the way to go.

When I’m out birding or watching wildlife, I’m packing either a Swarovski 8.5x42 EL or 8x32 EL.

Posts: 1260 | Location: Michigan | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Definitely the way to get a good one. Cool

When my wife wanted me to get a headlamp for reading in bed, I chose the best one on the market at the time.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
DuckDuckGo showed me this review. It’s great because it has magnified photos of the view through the tested scopes, so you can see the difference $1600 buys over $900 over $500 in Vortex scopes.

PewPew Tactical review

Looks like the Vortex Viper for $900 is pretty darn good.

Personally, when I was looking some years ago I went to see a Kowa on sale for about $1,000; but then compared it eye to eye with the more expensive Kowa line that had been top-reviewed by the Cornell Lab folks. Also compared with Swarovski, Zeiss; ended up with a Kowa which with eyepiece cost about $2,800. Have never regretted it.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Off-topic but how was Yellowstone? Headed there first week in Oct.

We have gotten emails from the lodge asking if we wanted to change till next year and about restaurants being closed. Take out only.

Still planning ongoing unless the park closes.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16400 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:The one I saw was a Swarovski so the view was pretty good...even better than my Steiner binos.

When I bought mine a few years ago, I had a Leupold, and a borrowed Vortex and Swarovski in hand for a week of checking under various conditions. The Swarovski ATX was definitely the best and what I ended up getting. Unfortunately, it is 3-4x your budget depending on which objective you choose. The Vortex Razor certainly wasn't terrible and is very close to your budget.

Posts: 8957 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Steiner, Meopta.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone, you’ve given me some homework to do!

Comet Yellowstone was great! It has been over 20 years since our last visit and it was interesting what has changed and what has remained the same.

We had several 7x7 elk grazing on our campground just a few feet from us. I’ve never seen another one except in the park. Amazing!

Be sure to get reservations for camping before you leave. Several of the smaller ones were not open and the biggest one is undergoing a multi-year remodel ( for those 45 ft diesel pushers!) and may be done next year...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6317 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Bought AT80 Swarovski years ago, stunning clarity. From 100 yard 22 targets to Jovian moons & rings of Saturn, marvelous. Considering now passing it on. Email me if you're still looking. Recent cleaning by factory.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
smlsig Thanks

We have a reservation in one of the lodges. Got upgraded to a nicer room since we were in a part that had shared bathrooms and that's a no go now.

We are doing a few days in the park and then a few days in the Tetons.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16400 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
For optics I learned here, “buy once, cry once”, get the most you can justify.

HK Ag

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smlsig,
Email sent

Sorry for the mix up,

Same avatars two different people and my atrophying gray matter.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54643 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try this again ,
Signewt
E-mail sent

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54643 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
bendable;
response to your message sent

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Kowa is one of the top brands. However for a $1000.00 you are going to be limited. their 20X60 eyepiece along is pricey. The 80mm version eyepiece is over $700.00.

The 50MM version is cheap and while I've never used on it probably is playing on the brand. The body can go wall over a thousand and then a few hundred for a decent stand.

While that may be needed for some high power longer range events where you want to see a bullet hole at 600 yards, you might be well served with something more reasonable such as the Vortex line.

I have a Kowa 660 series that was used for high power matches and the optics are top notch.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have a Leupold 45x which is very nice; easy to see .22 out to 100 yards. For longer ranges and small bullets, I'd want a 60. Bear in mind that the greatest impediment to clear vision over 45x and over 100 yards is vibration of the optic. Heat mirage, slight vibration from wind, etc., can make a nice, clear image unusable. I have a lower end commercial grade tripod, and it is not enough when the wind starts blowing.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12779 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post