Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Safe pads Login/Join 
Picture of valkyrie1
posted
awhile ago there was a post about some kind of pad to place under a safe. Will be moving to Florida and want the safe inside the house and it will be sitting on tile. Don't want to damage the tile. Thoughts?

Posts: 2310 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use hockey pucks. They provide for air circulation.

Posts: 17153 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
You can build a platform with pressure treated 2X lumber and 3/4 inch plywood screwed and Gorilla glued. Dress it up with paint, cedar strips, outdoor carpet tiles, etc. We have our washer and dryer and upright freezer set up like this to keep them off the tile and make access easier.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Lowes/Home Depot/Similar. Hardware aisle will have a small section of felt pads and teflon slides for use on furniture.

"Felt Blankets" come in a blister pack of 2, they are the size of a post card and self adhesive (peel and stick).

I have found that these are almost always thick enough to prevent the safe from coming in contact with slightly uneven tile. 1 to 2 on each corner and you should have an air gap beneath the safe. You can slide the safe (carefully) with low/no risk of damage, don't have to worry about condensation rusting the bottom, and there's nothing visible beneath the safe to look bad.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15737 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Horse mat?

God bless America.

Posts: 13530 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
I use hockey pucks. They provide for air circulation.

This is what I used. Mine is on concrete so I put some clear plastic down on the concrete, then a bunch of hockey pucks, then the safe. I like the idea, especially in Florida, of having some room for air circulation under. I'm guessing wood would absorbed and hold moisture possible leading to corrosion on the bottom.

Posts: 1777 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Particularly pressure treated wood.

Posts: 26963 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Because of that I used a sheet of plastic/plexiglass cut to the size of the safe footprint. Did this on several safes.
Moisture blocker.
Plastic also allows you to do small safe maneuvers a little easier when you are aligning bolts, etc.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The mention of uneven tiles brings up a good point.
It might be a good idea to check the spot where the safe will be, and make a platform/riser/etc. to accommodate. That will also asure that the safe stands straight without leaning forward.

Posts: 358 | Registered: March 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post