SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fitness, weight loss, dieting
Page 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 30
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fitness, weight loss, dieting Login/Join 
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:

A calorie deficit not only lowers your body fat it also diminishes your muscle tissue. That's something I don't want.

You cant just throw owt that you did an ultramartahon and not tell us about it!. My BIL is the fittest person I know and he had to scratch after 55 miles

Not necessarily and certainly not in my experience. So long as you have excess body fat why would your body cannibalize healthy muscle tissue for energy? Makes no sense. Not if you have a reasonable amount of muscle (not a bunch extra like a bodybuilder) and not if you are continuing to do resistance training.

The best way to lose muscle quickly would be to be bed-ridden like in a hospital. Can lose up to 7lb per week that way. OTOH, you could go into a 100% calorie deficit via a multi-day fast and so long as you continue to workout, studies have shown that only 4% of weight lost would be lean tissue.

So; if you fasted for 14 days and lost a whopping 10lbs off of the scale...only .4 lbs would be lean tissue which could also be excess skin cells, scar tissue etc. not necessarily muscle (and negligible anyway especially after a multi-week fast!)

From personal experience I decided to do something crazy and see if I could complete a 100mi ultra-marathon. Traditionally, I didn't run much at all for fitness. Instead I did mostly body weight strength training, kettlebells, HIIT etc.

Anyway, common wisdom says you "burn muscle" for energy during very long runs. Nope! Over the course of nearly 2 years I went from running 6mi per month to up to 70mi per week and my strength training went from 3-4x per week to maybe 1. At the end I really hit the diet hard to lose as much as possible (carrying 10 less lbs 100mi is a big deal), got into the high 160s at 5'10 which is very light for me. I'm sure I lost a little muscle mostly due to not strength training so much, but visually I couldn't tell and I certainly didn't turn into the stereotypical endurance runner body type (which would have been OK).

Point is, "functional" muscle retention is very persistent so long as you have any excess fat to burn and keep up with resistance training to at least some degree.

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I've lost 35 pounds over the last 3 years by caloric deficit, or as I called it, I ate less and did more.

Keep in mind that I have a lot of room for improvement and I don't think I will get much more weight off without getting serious about tracking calories and structured exercise.

After putting 75 pounds on over 12 yrs of post Navy life I decided to eat less and do more.

I cut waayyyy back on my alcohol. I did not stop drinking (not even close) but now I only drink if I want to, not as a matter of habit.

I cut out sweet tea and sodas at lunch and drink water. Giving up the sweet tea at my local bbq joint was surprisingly the hardest change I've made. I have found that now I crave water and drink it with dinner and at times when I would have just mixed a drink.

I started ordering smaller sized fast food when I eat out. A small sub instead of a large sub....etc.

I started to walk more at work and home. Instead of driving when I had to go over to another building on campus I would just leave 5 min early and walk. (Yes,I had gotten that lazy) if going to 2 stores in the same shopping area I will now walk from the first one to the second one and back instead of driving. It sounds insignificant but it matters.

I started doing more yard work and projects around the house. Anytime you are up and moving has got to be better than sitting on the couch.

I take the boat out fishing more often as well as buying the kayak. Any activity is good activity and if you are having fun you don't realize that you are being active.

Where I am at right now does not feel like I have given up anything like I would feel with a diet (once I got past the sweet tea cravings). I have been stable at this weight for about 4 months now can probably sustain this weight without trying. I need to drop another 35 pounds and while I can probably get a little of it by continuing this way, I will need to get more serious about tracking calories and start exercising again to get where I need to be.

I guess my point is that anyone who is more then a few pounds overweight can make some changes and get their weight moving slowly in the right direction without extreme measures.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Anyone looking for motivation, one guy I watch is Wes Watson.

You can look up his channel on YouTube. GP, Penitentiary Life. Ex convict, ex knucklehead. Talks about fitness/food constantly. HIs main deal is you need adverbial conditions in your life in order to grow/excel. Consistently bags on the pleasure seeking lifestyle, being soft, and compares a strict diet to a 3rd world person’s best meal they will ever eat. Really puts things into perspective. But if you don’t like cursing, skip it.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12624 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:

You can look up his channel on YouTube. GP, Penitentiary Life. Ex convict, ex knucklehead. Talks about fitness/food constantly. HIs main deal is you need adverbial conditions in your life in order to grow/excel. Consistently bags on the pleasure seeking lifestyle, being soft, and compares a strict diet to a 3rd world person’s best meal they will ever eat. Really puts things into perspective. But if you don’t like cursing, skip it.

Damn, just watched one of his videos. Talk about just keepin it real.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
You cant just throw owt that you did an ultramartahon and not tell us about it!. My BIL is the fittest person I know and he had to scratch after 55 miles

Well; an ultramarathon, especially at the 100 mile or more level, is mostly mental. The typical saying is; "It's 10% physical, 90% mental." Personally, I think it is both 90% physical and 90% mental at the same time!

My military background (Army infantry including Ranger Regt.) prepared me for the mental. I have spent many nights humping a heavy ruck and being miserable...until dawn. I'd say I at least have a masters degree if not a PhD in "misery." All I had to do was learn about the theory of endurance training and then apply it through 1 yr and 8 months of running more and more miles and completing longer and longer distances.

I also got beaten by a woman probably in her late 50's (I'm 45) as well as countless others, finishing middle-ish of the pack. Ultras aren't about raw physical talent which makes them fascinating to me.

That said; "luck" plays a factor as well and race choice. I picked a course with a not extreme elevation gain, ~11k over the 100 miles, and the weather was decent.

To tie it back in to something anyone can relate to: I think everyone on occasion (at least once or more in their life) should challenge themselves to something so big you don't know if you can do it! It builds a lot of character, confidence, and resilience. You gain a great perspective that also makes you better able to handle the everyday stress.

The "big thing" is relative. For me, I felt it was a 100mi ultra-marathon through the mountains. For you it could be the classic 26.2mi "marathon" or an obstacle course race or a half marathon or outside the box, maybe getting a masters degree or going on an extended mission trip to a 3rd world country. More in line with this thread, challenge yourself to working up to a 14 day fast! Or hitting a single digit body fat percentage, just to see if you can? Or enter some sort of fitness competition.

I think I'm going to do the Spartan "Trifecta" next, just because it will motivate me to get into a more well-rounded level of fitness vs. the pure endurance I built to do the ultra goal.

Also, I'm a father of 3 kids, twin 10yr olds and a 15yo, my wife works full time and I have both a full time civilian job and am an Army NG officer about to deploy again for almost a year. No excuses; you do have time to make healthier nutrition and fitness choices and they don't have to be time consuming and don't have to be a major sacrifice. Re-read SpinZone's post above.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

I thought I was the only one that watches every Wes Watson video.
Stumbled on it by accident and can't get away.
He has a few detractors but a LOT of followers.
His message is unique and the prison stories are a bonus.
Cool

Posts: 22899 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
HIs main deal is you need adverbial conditions in your life in order to grow/excel. Consistently bags on the pleasure seeking lifestyle, being soft,...

Something that popped into my mind during the middle of the night of the ultra...if you are never uncomfortable...how can you know or appreciate what comfort is? If you only seek pleasure and comfort, won't that become the "norm" and you'll be dissatisfied with that?

Leads to "1st-world" problems! Big Grin

The irony is that a modern life of "comfort" will in most cases lead to obesity, declining health, and a slow miserable death surrounded by scores of medications and a revolving door of hospital admissions.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

I thought I was the only one that watches every Wes Watson video.
Stumbled on it by accident and can't get away.
He has a few detractors but a LOT of followers.
His message is unique and the prison stories are a bonus.
Cool

No way. A friend turned me onto the channel. Shit now I check YouTube every day for a new one. He has a second channel called Self Talk. He isn’t saying anything I didn’t know already (about lifting/diet/fitness/motivation, certainly didn’t know about GP like like this) but it’s damn nice to hear it. He is bagging on all the people I bag on. The pleasure seeking, comfort seeking, laziness, being soft, etc. It’s fantastic to watch.

I was crying when I pulled this line out this week. He was referring to third world countries, them not having comfy chairs and that a chair to them is squatting. “That’s why they don’t have back problems. Because they’re not FUCKING sitting around in some comfortable shit all day. They’re FUCKING earning it”.

Dude is going to hit the big time if he doesn’t get mad and strike out. He says a lot of shit that needs to be said in this society and no one else has the balls to say it.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12624 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I've had to really revise what I eat, and I'll probably join a gym. My new job takes considerably less energy, and I managed to put on some pounds during the holidays that are stuck now.

The trouble with food is that it's delicious.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder:

Big Grin

Posts: 11379 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've had to really revise what I eat, and I'll probably join a gym. My new job takes considerably less energy, and I managed to put on some pounds during the holidays that are stuck now.

Everything in moderation, especially the delicious stuff Wink Nothing tastes better than fit feels.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Food is a very simple comfort and coping mechanism, and of course we're hardwired for it. I think that we all have a tendency to gain some in winter, then the available trash of the holidays is no help. Add to that the stressors of a new job, plus the decrease in activity, and I knew I was in for it.

Nothing will set me back to the world of 300+ where I was, and I'll work it out quite literally. But I don't think the addictive capacity of food can be overstated.

Fat people share one thing with addicts of other types, people assume you are weak, there is a shame, a stigma.

I don't think that "acceptance" is appropriate, I don't really think it should just be "big is beautiful."

We don't need to encourage people to be fat, but we sure don't need to heap shame on them either. Fat people shame themselves plenty. It can be motivation, until it tips a corner and becomes a cycle of self hate.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
My CrossFit gym closed down, so now I'm using the gym at work.

Does anyone have a good book with workout plans set up? I want to look like Captain America Smile

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

Does anyone have a good book with workout plans set up? I want to look like Captain America Smile

Chris Evans did an interview regarding his workout for that role. As I recall he was actively working out upwards of six hours a day.

It must be nice to have a personal trainer around for multiple workouts per day!

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Food is a very simple comfort and coping mechanism, and of course we're hardwired for it. I think that we all have a tendency to gain some in winter, then the available trash of the holidays is no help. Add to that the stressors of a new job, plus the decrease in activity, and I knew I was in for it.
Accurate assessment and all too common. We had some serious pet (injuries / behavioral) and work stressors this summer, during which I allowed myself to gain a good 15 lbs.

Thankfully in mid-Oct I stepped back on the scale and in 3 months of calorie control / deficits, I'm down 27.4# this morning, past where I have been in the last 2 years or so. That includes Thanksgiving, Xmas, and National Championship days off, but honestly after about a month I can't eat like I used to or I feel sick / over-full. So I ate well those days but nothing like I have in the past.

My hardest issue to overcome is when traveling for work, as it's much harder to schedule smart meals and very easy to say "fuck it, I'm eating this" when it's the only comfort I may have that day. Thankfully I've been able to reduce my travel schedule but I know I'll have to put some effort in when I do.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:
quote:

Chris Evans did an interview regarding his workout for that role. As I recall he was actively working out upwards of six hours a day.

It must be nice to have a personal trainer around for multiple workouts per day!

If he was working out six hours a day my guess he was on "supplements". Nobody can work out 6 hours a day and recover sufficiently without PED's. Don't try to follow celebrity workouts.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

Have you looked at bodybuilding.com ?
It does have a lot of plans.
You have to work your way through the maze of their efforts to sell you shit but the plans are very good.
They have a 7 day trial to get you started and if you are into the app thing they have that too.
I was going to the gym once or twice a week with no real purpose.
I took one of their plans an modified it for my use {currently on a leg 30 day program) and increased to three times a week, doing much less cardio now but plan to ramp it up an add it back in.
Haven't waded through their nutrition stuff yet but keep in mind their whole purpose is to sell, sell, sell.
Don't blame theme but I can sift out that for my own better use.
YMMV

Posts: 22899 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I'm in a funk and bummed about my weight.

End of August '18 I cut out all the sugar drinks, cut out bread, generally lower carbs and I.F. By the end of winter/early spring I'd dropped almost 50 lbs.

By mid summer'19 I was the same weight, so I cut out a lot more carbs. I was still regularly eating potatoes regularly and higher carb vegetables. Come September I was still the same weight, perhaps creeping upward.

By mid December I'd put back on 25 pounds. (the worst part being it went to places it wasn't before).

So I decided to go true low carb keto. True low carbs, +/- 30 grams a day, often less than. Cut waaay down on the protein. Healthy fats.

So it's January 22nd and... I've gained 5 more lbs. Confused

I look at all the checklists out there of overlooked reasons why it may not be working for you... nope, not doing any of them.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I'm in a funk and bummed about my weight.

End of August '18 I cut out all the sugar drinks, cut out bread, generally lower carbs and I.F. By the end of winter/early spring I'd dropped almost 50 lbs.

By mid summer'19 I was the same weight, so I cut out a lot more carbs. I was still regularly eating potatoes regularly and higher carb vegetables. Come September I was still the same weight, perhaps creeping upward.

By mid December I'd put back on 25 pounds. (the worst part being it went to places it wasn't before).

So I decided to go true low carb keto. True low carbs, +/- 30 grams a day, often less than. Cut waaay down on the protein. Healthy fats.

So it's January 22nd and... I've gained 5 more lbs. Confused

I look at all the checklists out there of overlooked reasons why it may not be working for you... nope, not doing any of them.

Do you have an idea of what your daily caloric intake is?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ