SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fitness, weight loss, dieting
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 30
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fitness, weight loss, dieting Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^
Roger that.

Disclaimer; up front I'll say I'm not "anti-running." As a matter of fact I've been training up for a crazy bucket list trail ultra marathon, so almost all I do now is run...

You are right though, running and typical "cardio" is very inefficient for most fitness goals. This is because it really only does 2 things and yet takes up a bunch of time (typically 30-60 mins).

The 2 things it does are aerobic conditioning and muscle endurance for the lower body. It does nothing for anaerobic conditioning, upper and lower body strength, or upper body strength-endurance.

A well designed circuit with brief rest periods improves all of those attributes at the same time and typically takes only 20-30 mins, 45 max including warm up and cool down.

As an example of a single full body superset with no equipment needed other than a pull up bar: Push ups, squats, pull ups, knee raises. Do 6-12+ reps of those back to back with no rest, rest 30s and repeat 6 times. Report back!

Of course, any exercise could be modified to an easier (or harder) version as needed, knee push ups, waist level bar pull ups etc.

Further, if you want to emphasize raw strength more; add weight, lower the reps and increase rest period. Want to emphasize cardio more; decrease difficulty, increase reps and decrease rest periods. Infinite full body combos can be made from just your body, some floor space and very basic equipment.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Half way there! Just over, in fact. I am down 51 pounds since October 3. I'd like to lose 101.

I feel great, am back in clothing I haven't worn in years, have a neck again, and can move, work out, and do stuff with ease.

I truly appreciate the inspiration that this thread was, and continues to be to me on this journey.

Thank you all.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12774 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Half way there! Just over, in fact. I am down 51 pounds since October 3. I'd like to lose 101.

I feel great, am back in clothing I haven't worn in years, have a neck again, and can move, work out, and do stuff with ease.
Whoo hoo!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
People are asking me how much weight I lost, but I don't really know what to say, because I don't know were you start. I'm 50 lbs lighter than I've been for most of the last 15-20 years. But only 35-40 pounds lighter than when I made my dietary changes. Changes I made because of being pre-diabetic and being fatter than I'd ever been, all while having lost weight! (lost muscle, due to inactivity from a neck/spine injury and changing to a mostly desk job). That's the interesting point, I'm getting no exercise, spending up to 16 hours a day sitting at a desk, losing weight.

The fun part is that everyone at work knows how much weight I've lost, and they all think it's due to the stress from the latest changes at work. When they ask about it I play it up, "yeah they're killing me, I'm dying here". Wink

I went to the thrift store today, bought pair of "test pants". All my pants are too big and I wasn't really sure what size I am. Went and spent $10 on a used pair of Wranglers that I thought would be too small. In fact they fit just fine. That was a welcome pleasant surprise. Smile

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I have embraced a life change. It's tough to remain consistent with food, but I'm nearly there. The change in food has unlocked my physical fitness transformation.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:

I am down 51 pounds since October 3.
That's 8.5 gallons of AVgas, enough to give you one more hour of flight time in a C-172!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I think I've found my new equilibrium.

About 220lbs. About 2500 cals per day.

5'9, and just turned 42, fitting back into 38" pants.

Meanwhile, my shoulders remain 2xl, and neck 18 1/2."

One meal a day has been great.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Everyone survive the holidays?

I did with only a slight "relaxing" of standards. Eating once a day actually has re-calibrated how my body gives me the "full" sensation, so I didn't overdo it too bad with all the holiday treats.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Alright jumping into this thread.

After super lax holidays with 3.5 weeks off. Minimal workouts. Excessive food & drink I topped at 230. 38" waist. I've got some pretty solid quads & shoulders from working out. But stomach has expanded more than my chest.

As of this week cutting all booze out (during the week) and starting to hit the workouts again more fierce.

New Years Day 4.5 mile run/ walk @ 1 hour. Wed Thursday, Friday hit the gym. Sunday hit a 10K row on my C2. Today did 3 mile run/walk @ lunch @ 35 minutes.

It's time I jump on this guys. Back at it! 210-215 is where I feel the most athletic. I can feel my agility creep back in that weight range.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I’ve gone completely off the wagon with the holidays and being sick but I still only hit 188 so 2lbs and change.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Doing good. Holidays were controllable. I did enjoy some sweet potato casserole and a couple of slices of pie. Held steady since.

I had a cream filled doughnut somewhere around there, too Wink

55lbs down and counting.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
The holidays were like a slow wave building and crashing. I started off good but as I got deeper into the holidays I indulged more that I should. Kind of the same story every year but I am back on track now. Didn't put on a lot of weight but energy levels were definitely lower and irritability was up Wink

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went on a long run Jan 1st and back to intermittent fasting and even did a 46 hour fast.

I don't beat myself up over the holidays, I try to enjoy them without eating too crazy and while my workouts slack off, I don't let them go to zero.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
I did ok over the holidays. Cheated a couple of times with deserts, but the second week of December I joined Planet Fitness. I’ve been going every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I normally spend an hour and a half to two hours there.

I start with a few cardio warm ups, treadmill and the like for a half hour, then move to machines or free weights. I alternate upper body and lower body by days there.

The spring of 2017 I weighed 245 (5’-10”). Eating less junk food and nothing after 7pm I dropped to 206 by June of 2018. Since I’ve been working out regularly I’ve gone back up to 216, but the increase is in muscle tissue which weighs more (more dense)

I do have to limit some exercise though since my sternum is held together with wire. I don’t want to go through that again, so working out is must for me. And yes I’m retired and have the time.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I'm with Arc, in that I reduced standards for the holidays, and that slowed my rate of loss, but I am lighter after the holidays than I was before, so the net is good.

I'm back on the wagon full time now, and working toward my final goal. Down 57; 44 to go.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12774 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Went for my usual 3 month visit on Friday. Bad news. Everything's good except my A1C keeps climbing (I'm a type ii). Doc didn't care that I'm down to 204# from 215# three months ago and my pants are down from 38 to 34. He says I need to do more. So I'm going to cut carbs drastically for the next three months. I've cut out all pasta and will drastically limit my rice intake and see if it helps.

And yes, I need to work out more. This weekend I got winded chasing a car. Halfway through it I was like why am I chasing a car on foot??? I know where the guy lives! Smile

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8019 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Down 60 since October 3.

Shooting for another 41, but honestly, anything over another 21 is gravy.

I'm shrinking from the ends. I have my neck, shoulders, ankles, legs and thighs back. I just need to finish my (flat) ass and belly.

I've taken 4 holes out of my belt, and got an whole new wardrobe without spending a cent. IWB is comfortable again. Less pain in knees, ankles and lower back. More mobile, faster, more flexible, don't get tired as easily, and don't have that desire to nap after lunch.

If you aren't where you want to be, develop the desire, mindset and plan to make a change, build the support system you need with family and schedule (exercise, cooking, etc.), get the tools that help, like a monitoring app, fitness watch, gym membership, and comfortable workout clothing, and get on with it. With the right system in place, (plan, support, tools) it isn't hard, it doesn't feel like a diet, and success comes fast enough to keep you motivated and on track. If you want to make the change, find inspiration in this thread and do it.

This thread has been a great help to me, and I truly appreciate the support and suggestions.

Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
Alright jumping into this thread.

After super lax holidays with 3.5 weeks off. Minimal workouts. Excessive food & drink I topped at 230. 38" waist. I've got some pretty solid quads & shoulders from working out. But stomach has expanded more than my chest.

As of this week cutting all booze out (during the week) and starting to hit the workouts again more fierce.

New Years Day 4.5 mile run/ walk @ 1 hour. Wed Thursday, Friday hit the gym. Sunday hit a 10K row on my C2. Today did 3 mile run/walk @ lunch @ 35 minutes.

It's time I jump on this guys. Back at it! 210-215 is where I feel the most athletic. I can feel my agility creep back in that weight range.

Even though it'll go up & down (on the way down) weighted in this morning @ 226. So down 4# in a week & half of discipline & hard work. Time to Get after it!

Down #10. Getting after it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: myrottiety,

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
One week back in the gym and on the wagon got rid of my 2 lbs holiday gain. Smile

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post