SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Salsa Recipes — who’s got the best one?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Salsa Recipes — who’s got the best one? Login/Join 
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted
My goal this weekend: creating / canning some amazing restaurant-style tomato salsa.

Problem is, I’ve never made salsa before. I can make a mean pico, though.

Who’s got a great (or can point me to a great) tomato salsa recipe? Preferably one with lots of cilantro, semi-chunky, med-high heat, no chipotle / smokey flavor (important!), and no corn.

Posts: 5075 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Here's mine:

1 can tomato puree (14.5 oz)
1 can petite diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
1/2 can water (adjust to how thick you like it)
4 Tbs white vinegar
1/2 large white onion diced
1-2 diced jalapenos (~1/4 cup)
1/2 bunch of green onions diced (~1/2 cup)
6-8 cloves of garlic minced
1/2 cup cilantro chopped
4 Tbs lime juice
1 tsp salt
3 tsp oregano
3/4 tsp cayenne

Adjust the heat as much or as little as you like with the cayenne, but this is the way I like it.

I haven't tried canning it yet as there's usually not enough left over to can.

Posts: 20122 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Here are my 3. I use the canned in the off-season, and I'm a gardener so I make a bunch of batches of garden fresh tomato and tomatillo salsa when everything ripens.
I use both jalapeno (early heat) and serrano (late heat) as they combine nicely for continuous heat and taste better together.

If all you have access to is grocery store tomatoes, then I suggest the canned tomatoes because grocery store tomatoes are picked before ripe and then gassed with ethylene to turn red which is why they have zero flavor.

Canned Tomato Salsa
Ingredients:
  • 1 fourteen ounce can of Delmonte stewed tomatoes (preferably Mexican style, but Cajun style works fine)
  • 1 fourteen ounce can of diced tomatoes (IMO, diced fire roasted are best)
  • 1/2 white onion
  • 1 serrano pepper
  • 1 jalapeno pepper
  • Bunch of cilantro
  • 1 tbsp of lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp of lime juice
  • 1 clove of garlic (or 1/8 tsp of garlic powder)
  • 1/8 tsp of black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp of salt
  • 4 oz. can of mild green chilies

Recipe:
  • Slice onion into chunks and place in food processor
  • Cut off top (stem end) of jalapenos, slice in half, remove seeds, and place in food processor
  • Cut off top (stem end) of serranos, slice in half, remove seeds, and place in food processor
  • Open Delmonte stewed tomatoes and pour tomatoes and liquid into food processor
  • Open diced tomatoes, drain off liquid, and pour tomatoes into food processor
  • Add lemon juice, lime juice, garlic, black pepper, salt, cilantro, and green chilis to food processor
  • Pulse the food processor
  • Put in a covered container and refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving (overnight is even better)
  • Stir, sample, and season with salt to taste.
  • Serve

Garden Fresh Salsa

Ingredients:
  • Bunch of roma tomatoes
  • 1/2 white onion
  • 1 serrano pepper
  • 1 jalapeno pepper
  • Bunch of cilantro
  • 1 tbsp of lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp of lime juice
  • 1/8 tsp of salt
  • Anaheim or poblano pepper (can save time and substitute one 4 oz. can of mild green chilies)

Recipe:
  • Preheat oven to 375
  • Remove pith from each tomato
  • Slice each tomato in half and place skin side up on foiled cookie sheet
  • Slice onion into chunks and place on foiled cookie sheet
  • Cut off top (stem end) of jalapenos, slice in half, remove seeds, and place of foiled cookie sheet
  • Cut off top (stem end) of serranos, slice in half, remove seeds, and place of foiled cookie sheet
  • If using fresh Anaheim or poblano pepper then cut off top (stem end) of pepper, slice in half, remove seeds, and place of foiled cookie sheet
  • Place cookie sheet in preheated oven for 20 minutes
  • Remove tomato skins (should be easy as most shrank and separated from meat)
  • Place skinless tomatoes, peppers, and onions in food processor
  • Add lemon juice, lime juice, garlic, black pepper, salt, cilantro, and (if using canned green chilis) green chilis to food processor
  • Put in a covered container and refrigerate ~8 hours before serving or adjusting salt
  • Serve

Garden Fresh Tomatillo Salsa (aka Salsa Verde)

Ingredients:
  • Bunch of tomatillos (if out of season, you can use 28 oz can of tomatillos)
  • 1/2 white onion
  • 1 serrano pepper
  • 1 jalapeno pepper
  • Bunch of cilantro
  • 1 tbsp of lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp of lime juice
  • 1/8 tsp of salt
  • Anaheim or poblano pepper (can save time and substitute one 4 oz. can of mild green chilies)

Recipe:
  • Preheat oven to 375
  • Husk each tomatillo and rinse off goo
  • Slice each tomatillo in half and place skin side up on foiled cookie sheet
  • Slice onion into chunks and place on foiled cookie sheet
  • Cut off top (stem end) of jalapenos, slice in half, remove seeds, and place of foiled cookie sheet
  • Cut off top (stem end) of serranos, slice in half, remove seeds, and place of foiled cookie sheet
  • If using fresh Anaheim or poblano pepper then cut off top (stem end) of pepper, slice in half, remove seeds, and place of foiled cookie sheet
  • Place cookie sheet in preheated oven for 20 minutes
  • Remove tomatillo skins (should be easy as most shrank and separated from meat)
  • Place skinless tomatillos, peppers, and onions in food processor
  • Add lemon juice, lime juice, garlic, black pepper, salt, cilantro, and (if using canned green chilis) green chilis to food processor
  • Put in a covered container and refrigerate ~8 hours before serving or adjusting salt
  • Protect and Serve

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tatortodd,

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23297 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Salty Dawg
    posted Hide Post
    Got this years back. Easy and delicious.

1 jalapeno seeded
    28oz. can of whole tomatoes
    1/2 large onion
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    3 heaping teaspoons tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning (the green label)
    5-6 leaf springs of cilantro (more or less to your liking)
    Juice from half a lime
    PULSE all together in the blender--just be careful you get it the consistency you want so you don't end up with soup!
    Makes 1 quart salsa--eat within 2 weeks

Posts: 696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    This one is quick but tasty.
    1- 28 oz can of tomatoes.
    2-3 tbl’s of Julio’s seasoning.
    1-2 Serrano peppers. Depending on how much heat you like.
    Put it all in the blender. Better the 2nd day after being refrigerated.

Posts: 3598 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Stop Talking, Start Doing
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks guys. I might need to try all of these.

Posts: 5075 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Green grass and
    high tides
    Picture of old rugged cross
    posted Hide Post
    For me it is all about the acid you use. Lemon juice, not my favorite. Vinegar or wine vinegar (my favorite). Smile

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19219 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Frangas non Flectes
    Picture of P220 Smudge
    posted Hide Post
    One large can tomatoes
    Four fresh large jalapeños
    Four fresh Serrano peppers
    One half large white onion
    A half dozen long green onions
    A few gloves of garlic
    A large bunch of cilantro, or even two.
    Lime juice
    A minuscule amount of salt
    I feel like I’m forgetting something, but them’s the basics.

Blend, and bask in the glory. If you did it right, it will be green.

Posts: 17181 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I don’t know if it’s the “best”, but I like to toss about 1/2 the peppers and the tomatoes (tomatillos as well) on the grill.

Brings out a whole different “smokey” flavor.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8355 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    go into any Mexican grocery store, especially the ones with a taqueria counter, next to the butcher section, over in teh section with all the dairy, cheese and other refrigerated items, you'll likely see an assortment of salsas...pick one. It'll be better than anything out of a main stream or, boutique market.

Posts: 14664 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post