SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone ever tried to have a Fenwick fishing rod repaired? **replacement rod received, fishing report on page 2**
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone ever tried to have a Fenwick fishing rod repaired? **replacement rod received, fishing report on page 2** Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
I bought this rod from Cabela's in 2019. It broke during the move. I lost an eyelet and the surface got really scratched.

I want to try my luck at Pompano fishing and I think this is a good rod. I used it for surf perch in Oregon. I've got a good surf fishing reel all ready to go.

The missing eyelet is the first eyelet of the second half, so I should still be able to use it. I'd just like to have it restored sometime.

Tony.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: benny6,

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does Fenwick have any type of repair program? Reason I ask is, I had 2 Loomis rods repaired last year. Both had tips that broke off. I had to pay $90 for one, but it was a 30 year old rod.l that was my dads. They replaced it with a brand new $350 rod. I’d check with the mfg first.

Posts: 2157 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I just sent them an e-mail but I'm sure it won't be answered until next week.

Tony.

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I sent them a rod that had the tip broken off right at the tip in the early 80's. They sent me a rod that was inferior to the one I had and charged me $26.

They also kept my aluminum case ($40) that I used to ship the rod.

You could see that the tip had been crimped on and probably too much force had weaken the fiberglass causing it to break.

What I should have done was cut the fiberglass rod back several inches and installed a new tip.

In your case, I would look for a rod shop that does repairs for a quote.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These folks have been in business for decades ..
Favaro's Rod & Reel Repair Shop

3003 Weller Ave, Baton Rouge, LA 70805
225-355-4368
OPEN NOW: Today: 9:00 am - 5:00 p

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Well it’s a $100 rod so I’ll see if it’s even cost effective to have it repaired or just throw on a generic eyelet. I’ve got some good clear epoxy I can seal it all with.

Tony.

Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
I'd be willing to bet a local shop would wind you on a guide. Ask around as this is a common repair and most places I've been in Florida have someone that will do it. the S&H is what makes this an expense.

If not I'd be willing to repair it if you would ship it to me. I build rods and repair a couple for friends every year. Fenwick rods like that are certainly worth repairing. Many years ago they were my blank of choice for building. My email is in my profile if you have any questions

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Where are you planning on going Pompano fishing?

Posts: 2299 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Selogic=== you are a man after my own heart... If Favaros is still in operation would be a great choice......Long time in business.. At least two generations....New / repair / or building a new rod from scratch...... dealt with before.. rebuilt a Garcia Ambassador 5000 reel for me some years ago.......... give them a shout out. ................ drill sgt.

Posts: 2001 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
It would be helpful to know where you are located, while my local shop is in the USA, recommending them may not really be helpful.

Any dedicated local fishing store should have a repair hook up, in house or someone they use.

I've had a few eyelets replaced, straight forward repair, not too expensiv3 and good as new.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
These folks have been in business for decades ..
Favaro's Rod & Reel Repair Shop

3003 Weller Ave, Baton Rouge, LA 70805
225-355-4368
OPEN NOW: Today: 9:00 am - 5:00 p

They did work for my daddy on his Pflueger Summit and Supreme many years ago.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seriously if you can fix broken M14's this is in your skill set. by a factor of 100. Takes almost no tools, a tiny amount of material which is easy to get some of which you probably have around and nearly no time to fix this. And unlike many projects where learning sometimes does harm to the subject this one doesn't.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I'm located in Auburndale, FL. It's literally right between and equidistant from Orlando and Tampa.

I have never been Pompano fishing, so I'm going in blind. I was just planning on hitting a beach and seeing what bites. Fishing Florida is all new to me. I was going to try the Tampa area, but I can just as well try the Atlantic side from Cocoa Beach to Vero beach. I might see if there's a KOA my son and I can hit for a few days and make a fishing/camping trip out of. I'm open to pier fishing as well. I think I'd like to shoot for Pompanos, sheep's heads, and black sea bass (if I can get them from the shore).

I do have a couple of other rods that need attention too. My dad had a custom rod made by a company called SAGG out of Fresno, CA in 1988 built off a Magnuflex shaft. It's a white fishing rod that used to have a Penn Senator 4/0 reel mounted to it, but all the eyelets are damaged or the thread has delaminated and loosened over time. It's a bottom fishing rod that's reeled in countless snappers, blues and ling cod.

I've also got an old Abu Garcia that I probably landed over 100 salmon and a leopard shark with back in the 80's and early 90's which needs all the eyelets replaced too.

Thankfully, my dad's old made in USA 7' Fenwick Triggerstick has lasted all this time. It's landed countless salmon, stripers and rockfish. I've also got a Lamiglass 9' steelhead rod that survived without a scratch.

posted Hide Post
Any good tackle shop should be able to replace an eye. The scratching isn't coming out but they could put rod building epoxy on it so it's smooth and won't further damage itself.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
Selogic=== you are a man after my own heart... If Favaros is still in operation would be a great choice......Long time in business.. At least two generations....New / repair / or building a new rod from scratch...... dealt with before.. rebuilt a Garcia Ambassador 5000 reel for me some years ago.......... give them a shout out. ................ drill sgt.
Yeah , Favro's has been the Go-To for decades around here . I know plenty of people that won't touch their Ambassador reels . They just go drop them off and tell them to go through them and do what's needed.

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
Yeah , Favro's has been the Go-To for decades around here . I know plenty of people that won't touch their Ambassador reels . They just go drop them off and tell them to go through them and do what's needed.

I can remember my daddy going there when I was young and I'm 70 now

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Well, they got back with me. They asked me for pictures and purchase date, yadda, yadda, yadda...

I'll see what they have to say tomorrow morning.

Tony.

Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
All I have to do is pay a processing fee of $10 and Fenwick is sending me a replacement rod.

They haven't asked for the original back, so I'll buy an eyelet and repair this one.

Tony.

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Well, that's a bunch of AWESOME right there! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Pompano like clear water and love sand crabs, particularly females with eggs. If you can find the crabs with a small rake like device then the pompano will be near by.

A light weight rod with 6 lb mono and a light weight tossed 10 to 30 feet into a trough near the surf break should work.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post