SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My Little Thanksgiving Day Grip Strength Trainer Project
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Little Thanksgiving Day Grip Strength Trainer Project Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Take one each broken 100 lb. dumbbell your old gym had been using as a door stop and gave to you when it closed...

Clean up the broken end and radius the edge a bit...

Clean up the knurling...

Add a chair and table leg tip just to be fancy...

Et voilà: Nearly free grip strength trainer Big Grin

(And if you don't believe it: Try hoisting it that way a few times Wink)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see that and all I can consider is the trigger finger for the left middle finger of my left hand, the Arthritis in both thumbs, and the Arthritis in the redial head of both wrists.

All I can say is enjoy in while you can, because you will pay a price for this when you are older.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
All I can say is enjoy in while you can, because you will pay a price for this when you are older.
How much older? I'll be 72 in January Smile

I have a touch of arthritis in several places. But I have found that, as long as I stay active, it doesn't bother me too much.

In fact: Since I got back to doing hand strength exercises, one of which I do with lighter squeezers, held upside-down between my thumb and first two fingers, the pain in my thumb joints has essentially disappeared.

When I had arthroscopic surgery in one knee, last May, my surgeon told me I had a touch of arthritis in both knees, but my knees looked better than most of his patients twenty years my junior and, if I kept doing what I'd been doing, they should last me the rest of my life.

Doing what I'd been doing meant, for example, over 400 lbs. on leg press machines until my right knee needed surgery for a 10+ year old injury that left a bone fragment floating around in there--which finally floated to under the knee cap.

So my take is to keep pushing my limits until I can push no more Smile

I'm not belittling arthritis. One of my best friends has been laid low by psoriatic arthritis. He can barely hold a pistol, any more, much less shoot well.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

You're about halfway to V-Tail. Razz

I like using a dead blow hammer and resting my forearm at the end of a table and doing curls. I train in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and grip strength is very useful. It's also very useful in many daily things in life.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
You're about halfway to V-Tail. Razz

quote:
I like using a dead blow hammer and resting my forearm at the end of a table and doing curls.
I mainly use various "squeeze" type grip strength trainers, a Marcy wrist and forearm developer, and sometimes forward and reverse dumbbell curls with my wrists hanging off the ends of my knees, seated on a bench.

And now, of course, my new homemade grip strength trainer Smile
quote:
I train in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and grip strength is very useful. It's also very useful in many daily things in life.
It sure is.