SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Should I refinance my mortgage?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should I refinance my mortgage? Login/Join 
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Also, consider your future plans. Are you subject to transfer? I had to move 3 times due to transfers.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4238 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
A low mandatory payment with cheap interest is almost as comforting as a paid off home. We are about to close on a refinance at 2.75% down from 4%. Knowing that we could carry that payment on one salary and not get eaten alive by interest is enormously calming when times are uncertain.
Plus, as already stated, making your usual payments on principal will be even more impactful.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have to do the math, but based upon the sounds of it, it doesn't matter what rate you'd refi to, you'd be paying more. Mortgages are preloaded to where you pay the bulk of the interest in the first half of the loan versus the last half,and if you only have 5 years left, you've probably paid 85% of the interest packed into your loan and virtually everything is going to principle. If you refinance you're starting that interest curve all over again. You need to see a current amortization table on your mortgage. Or just calculate all remaining payments and get a total.......then go to a mortgage calculator and put the specs in for the new mortgage and see what that total would be.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In case there is anyone else like me who has read this and other refinance threads and still been on the fence, now is a great time to get off it, or at least have someone run the numbers and make a decision.

I am 8 years into a 30 year fixed at 3.5§. I’m closing next week on a refinance to a 15 year fixed at 1.99%. Even adding in the loan costs and government fees, my payment is dropping significantly. Between the reduced interest rate and the seven year shorter term I’ll save about $100k in interest over the life of the loan.

YMMV, but it’s worth looking into. Prices are sky high which helps with LTV. If you aren’t going to sell you can still get some benefit from this stupidly high market.

Posts: 996 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Back when we had a mortgage, we re-financed a couple of times. In both cases it was a simple question to the mortgage broker, “What is the best rate you can get us on a zero cost refi?” In both cases it was a lower rate than our then current mortgage, so we went ahead. If you do the same with the shortest term you can get and continue paying at the rate you are you’ll pay the loan off faster.

Another option to consider: If the shortest term fixed rate loan that you can get is a higher rate than the initial on an Adjustable Rate Morgage (ARM) which is fixed for the first seven years, you may want to go that route and save even more. If you keep paying as you are currently, regardless of the new lower payments on a new loan, then the lower the interest rate, the quicker you pay it off.

Yes, you can (or at least you used to be able to pay points and “buy down the rate”, and this may make sense, but you have to do some math to decide. If you can get a lower rate at no cost, you are better off refinancing, no math needed.

Posts: 6923 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't use brokers. I use a mortgage bank that charges about $300 for refi, but you have to have a fully conforming loan and excellent credit. Be careful of zero upfront cost loans if they bake the closing fees into the loan. Costs more in the long run. Mine are just the application fee with all the closing fees are comped, nothing baked into the load.

I refinanced my house a few times when I was married. After getting divorced I did a cash out refi to pay my ex her equity and got a 5/1 ARM (30 year amortization) at around 3.5% (30 year fixed would have been 5% on a cash out. After 5 years they sent a letter that the rate would go up the maximum 2% to 5.5%, so I started a refi and ended up at 4.25% for 20 years. Then I got the letter that the rate would only go up to 4.25%. Was not too happy about wasting my time like that. A year later in Q1 2020 I refi'd again to 3% on a 15-year. Haven't done anything since.

I'd do something pretty fast because interest rates may go up if inflation stays at it's current rate.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
If you are killing it like that, and expected to pay it off in 5 years then the hell with refinancing.

I’d do it if you need to carve off cash to remodel, upgrade, etc. Otherwise I just wouldn’t mess with it.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12650 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boss1:
If you could get a ~2% reduction, it might be worth considering.

But if you're going to have it paid off in 5 years, might not be worth the hassle.

$.02 worth,
Boss

I've only got about 8 years left on my Wells Fargo mortgage, 3.8%. That interest rate sounds high, but they won's refinance to a lower rate because I only owe about $50,000 and not enough years left. They want you to refinance at a lower rate, but extend the years. No thanks. I also send in an additional $100.00 a month going to the principal.

Posts: 660 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
One thing to consider that no one has mentioned is to call your current finance company and tell them that you are considering refinancing and what would they be willing to do in a no cost refi…

The rate may not be as low as you can possibly get (typically .25% more) but it should result in no additional costs for you.

We did this twice over the years…

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6332 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Find a local community bank and see if their various fees are lower than brokers and big banks.
My last mortgage refi was a small fraction of the others. They knew the local market well enough (and I only owed about 1/3 of the value)that they didn't require an appraisal and some other stuff and let me use my own local attorney who did the paperwork for a few hundred. Brokers find the money and add their markup and the big banks just overcharge for everything.
Otherwise, it's all a just a simple math question.

Posts: 9538 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is the simplest thing in the world. Even if you don’t understand the math it’s pretty simple and you make the lender explain it to you till you do understand.

It is irrelevant whether you plan on paying it off in 5 years or 50 years. It’s just math. You find out the actual cost of the refi. You find out your new payment. You divide that savings (old payment minus new = savings) into the first and this tells you the breakeven point. If it’s even a day prior to your “planned” payoff then refi.

Don’t discount the above advice either. Just because you can make extra payments today doesn’t mean you can tomorrow. Dropping nearly 2 percentage points off your loan it’s really a no brainer. Shop around for cheapest refi and do the math. You will save money I promise.

Do it now while rates are low. They aren’t going to stay low forever.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Once I refinanced truck loan. Saving $20 a month. The bank officer complained that it was "only $20 a month" compared to the paperwork required. "I'd rather have a extra $20 in my pocket every month than not" shut that conversation down right quick.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup. Math unlike most things in life doesn’t lie. If it saves you a sawbuck it saves you a sawbuck. It’s just that simple. Asking us is retarded. We don’t know any particulars to your situation. Maybe you have horrible credit and nobody but loan sharks will lend you money.

You have to go ask the questions to a bank, lender, or mortgage broker. And don’t ask just one. Someone will offer the best deal. Then do the math and save money. 4+ percent in today’s market screams out refi without even knowing your particulars.

(The caveat of course is total cost not the ridiculous lower monthly cost nonsense that car dealers try to sell you. Figure out your actual no shit breakeven point.)

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I just dropped my rate from 3.375 to 2.375 a year into a 30-yr mortgage. Taking some money out and added about 45k to my loan amount, but dropping my payment $1000 per month. So ~ 4 year break even. We plan to stay here at least 15 to send the kids to school. Without the cash we're taking out, it'd only be about 2.5 years to break even. No brainer.

For you, plug in the numbers.
X = current debt
Y = new debt after refi
A = current payment
B = new payment after refi

Y-X = Z (the difference in the total debt, which will now be slightly higher)

A-B = C (the difference in your payment, which will now be lower)

Z/C = months til break even

If that number is less than your current mortgage's payoff date, then it saves you money.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10496 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
The bank officer complained that it was "only $20 a month"

Says the same bank that would pay $20 a month if you had $45,000 on deposit for an entire year.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15727 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
When calculating the break even don't forget to subtract out the years you've been paying off. For example, if you're 4 years into a 30 year mortgage and re-fi back into a 30 year mortgage with a lower payment you're not comparing apples to apples.

You would need to compare your new loan at 26 years, not 30.

Posts: 5768 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Have you seen if they will do a 5 year refinance?

Posts: 5747 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post