SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trailer Brake Controller Recommendation Needed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trailer Brake Controller Recommendation Needed Login/Join 
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted
I need to move my 2015 travel trailer off the ranch where it has lived since the seller delivered it there. My tow vehicle is a 2017 Toyota Sequoia. The trailer is well below all of the max capacities of the tow vehicle so no issues there. I do need to buy and install a controller for the trailer brakes. I will be sure to order the appropriate harness for no splice installation.

Now for the question, what controller make and model. Simple to set up and use is preferred to complex and feature rich as I am not one to wallow around in the fine details of such things. I see them from $39 to $150. What do I need for occasional short distance towing? Will a cheap controller do all I need? Are there features in the higher end controllers that are worth the extra money?

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
If you are only buying one for a few moves buy cheaper but if you are gong to start RVing buy better. Make sure your tires are good, they degrade sitting in the sun. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After going thru a couple Tekonsha models, I got this one

Hopkins 47297 INSIGHT Brake Control

Couldn't be more pleased with its performance. The big plus for me is it doesn't hang down below the steering column or elsewhere.

Posts: 772 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
One Word: Tekonsha

It's electronic, no leveling, plug and play. Your Toyota probably has a pigtail tucked behind the kick panels that will plug right into it. If not, adapters are readily available.

I've been using them for years hauling my tractors.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15234 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Depending on the age of your truck, you may wish to use the factory model. I know that for Ford, after 2010 (and possibly before) integrates the trailer brake with the truck programming for the Trailer Tow mode. This means that braking is proportional, rather than on or off, and that the truck senses the trailer and incorporates trailer performance into the automated downshift capability programmed into the Trailer Tow / Tow Haul mode for the transmission.

When we had the factory controller installed in the GF's 2012 truck, we had to have the main computer re-flashed so that all of the integration would work properly together.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12780 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I've been really happy with my Tekonsha Prodigy P2. I bought a harness and mount for each of my tow vehicles, and just swap it back and forth as needed. It's a really easy swap...takes maybe 2 minutes, and it's easy to set up and calibrate.

The Prodigy has an accelerometer in it that is a little smarter about how it applies the brakes than a cheap time-based controller. It also has a manual lever, which saved my bacon one time when my power steering pump sheared the shaft out and I lost all brake boost in my truck while backing a loaded trailer up a steep incline. I started rolling forward, slammed that thing over and put the brake pedal through the floor...got stopped right before going into the ditch on the other side of the road Eek!

Posts: 8573 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I second the Tekonsha. I used the Prodigy P2, plug and play.

Posts: 322 | Location: S/W Ohio | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Prodigy P2

This.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
We have an older Draw-tite which was installed by the dealer when we bought our horse trailer years ago. It's always done the job, but that's not the main point of my post.

quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:

It also has a manual lever, which saved my bacon one time when my power steering pump sheared the shaft out and I lost all brake boost in my truck while backing a loaded trailer up a steep incline. I started rolling forward, slammed that thing over and put the brake pedal through the floor...got stopped right before going into the ditch on the other side of the road Eek!

A manual activation button or lever is a must IMO. Part of our inspection routine upon getting underway after hitching up, every time without fail, is to test the trailer brakes when we exit the gravel driveway onto pavement- activate the manual lever and feel the braking from the trailer only.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
A manual activation button or lever is a must IMO. Part of our inspection routine upon getting underway after hitching up, every time without fail, is to test the trailer brakes when we exit the gravel driveway onto pavement- activate the manual lever and feel the braking from the trailer only.

Agreed, and I do the same. Makes for peace of mind that the brakes will actually work if I need them. Too many points of failure to just hook up and drive off without checking. My trailer is not big, and both of my trucks should be able to easily stop it on their own, but I don't like taking chances. As illustrated by the story I shared above, every now and then you're glad you took the extra precautions.

Posts: 8573 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post