SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I Knew Steve Wanted to Kill Me, I Just Knew It
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Knew Steve Wanted to Kill Me, I Just Knew It Login/Join 
posted
In my late teens I was naive, squirrely, painfully shy and generally fearful, which was made up for by trying to be macho. Such is the way of teenage humanity.

It was 1978 and I had worked with Steve for over a year and a half. I should say worked near by Steve in the shop.

Steve was a loner I guess you could say, he didn't small talk or joke around like the rest of the guys. Steve was a vet. There were other vets working there also. There was Emil the Polish artillery man that lost his left arm in the war. He had one of the most snarly demeanor's I've ever seen on a human which was all a put on. Probably to intimidate punk kid's like me. And there was Will also. An Oriental guy well over 6 feet tall from Mindanao who walked really bad and liked to bitch about the Japs that broke his knees. Nice guys both and I"m honored to have known them.

And then there was Steve..

Steve was around 6'2" square shouldered, rail straight and his face was frozen into a snarling grimace. A curled lip look of menace or disgust that scared the crap out of me. And he had freaking red eyes, FREAKING RED EYES! And he worked right behind me with that look of total disgust. And he had tics too. He was always swatting bugs that weren't there by his right ear. Trouble is he was right handed and had a razor sharp deburring tool in his hand that was waving around. I knew he wanted to kill me.

It was mentioned in whispers, little pieces of the puzzle of Steve. Too many flight in too many shot up aircraft with shot up buddies over Europe.....It was mentioned out the side of peoples mouths in hushed tones....combat fatigue...they didn't have PTSD back then..and I just new he hated me and wanted to kill me.

He had to hate me. I was probably the embodiment of every thing he hated. Long haired, bell bottom wearing punk.

Then one day in April of 78 we went on strike. Had to pull picket duty for 20$ a week and do my duty. Then one day the other guys decided to go to lunch. They said "Hey kid let's go to Chink's for lunch". I replied that I was only 19 and it wasn't a good idea. They said it's all right so I tagged along expecting the worst.

We were a motley crew walking the 2 blocks to "Chink's Foundry Lounge". A 500 pound tool maker, a 6 foot Oriental, a one armed Pollack, a hippy looking punk. and Steve holding up the rear. To this day I have never seen a seedier dive than Chink's. Housed in the ratty bare floored office of a defunct foundry and sweet Jesus the bar tender looks like an older Brock Lesnar with tattoo's and a military buzz. We walk in and he says sternly "Hey guy's, that kid's too young". The boy's replied "He's all right Chink". Chink gets a little louder " He's way too young"! By this time I'm inching towards the door in case Chink wants to chase me out with a club. It was common to run off under age kid's back then with a stick of some kind to put a little fear of God in them. I was already scared by the looks of Chink and his demeanor. I moved to take a step towards the door to avoid any trouble when a big hand grabs my shoulder. Jesus Christ now Steve's got me. He holds me firm and in a voice I'd never heard come out of him before, he says "CHINK I SAID THIS KID'S ALL RIGHT".....All of a sudden, Chink replies , in a very sheepish tone..."All rrright Steve, what ever you say". All was well. I think it was that day I saw that Steve really had steely blue eyes.

I don't know what I had ever done to warrant any respect our consideration from those brave, wounded vet's. I knew I needed to do a lot more of it. Especially Steve.... Did I mention he had steely blue eyes?

Posts: 392 | Registered: February 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
You pulled your load, and you didn't pay out BS.

Some things never change.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44458 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great story, and well written! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, thanks!

Posts: 1731 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
Very cool story. I've taken to writing down some of my better stories as well. The hope is that someday my kids would find some worth in reading them.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
Being accepted by Steve in front of the guys must have made you proud and humble.
Awesome story.

Posts: 1795 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Obviously, Steve saw something in you that you did not see or know you had. Life is like that.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
sounds to me you were doing the right thing.

Posts: 8178 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Very well written, and an epic chapter of your life. GOD BLESS ALL OUR VETS!!!

When you write more chapters, please keep us posted.

A+

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10557 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:
Great story, and well written! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, thanks!

+1 Thanks!

Posts: 11432 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just having a good time
Picture of ragman
posted Hide Post
Well done. I enjoyed reading that. Thanks for posting.

" I didn't fail the test,I just found 100 ways to do it wrong." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1495 | Location: N. C. | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good read

Thanks!

Posts: 925 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Awesome.

Posts: 5748 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great read, I enjoyed reading it. Just, what happened to Steve and the others? You ended to soon and I need closure.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing that with us.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting. Please do so more often.

Posts: 7353 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the story, made my day!

Posts: 466 | Location: NW Ohio | Registered: August 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Thoroughly enjoyed reading that story Duke. Thank you For honoring those vets in such a way.

Posts: 3371 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Very well written.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20020 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very good read....any more you could add?...

quote:
Originally posted by ArLEOret:
Great read, I enjoyed reading it. Just, what happened to Steve and the others? You ended to soon and I need closure.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
Awesome story Duke.

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1735 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post