SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ‘Sextortionists’ are increasingly targeting young men for money. The outcome can be deadly.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

‘Sextortionists’ are increasingly targeting young men for money. The outcome can be deadly. Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted
https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/t...utcome-can-rcna27281

Internet blackmailers are increasingly duping young men and boys into sending them sexually explicit content online by posing as young girls on social media platforms like Facebook and Instagram and then extorting them in a scheme known as "sextortion" — and dozens of these cases have ended with the victims taking their own lives, police and child advocates told NBC News.

In a sign of how serious the problem is becoming, the FBI’s field office in Los Angeles released a warning last month aimed directly at the parents of young men caught in the crosshairs of these cyber-criminals who often operate in foreign countries.

“The FBI is receiving an increasing number of reports of adults posing as young girls coercing young boys through social media to produce sexual images and videos and then extorting money from them,” the FBI warning said.

One of those victims was 17-year-old Ryan Last, who lived near San Jose, California. Last died by suicide in February after an extortionist, threatening to post compromising pictures of him on the internet, was demanding more and more money from the teen, his mother, Pauline Stuart, said.

“They wouldn’t give up and he felt he had no choice but to do it to protect his family,” Stuart said of her son. “He loved us so much that he wanted to protect us from the mistake he made.”

Local police forces also report seeing a rise in cases in which blackmailers focus on young men.

“Twenty, 30 years ago, predators would go to a playground or a park to find young victims,” Sgt. Christian Camarillo of the San Jose Police Department told an NBC News Bay Area reporter. “Now, there’s an entire virtual world out there for them to get into and pick their victims that way.”

In Utah, Detective Sgt. John Peirce at the Davis County Sheriff's Office said he has investigated dozens of sextortion cases.

“In at least six instances, someone committed suicide,” he said. “Nationwide, there are hundreds if not thousands of these cases. There are many also not being reported.”

One of the cases Peirce worked on was that of Tevan Tobler, a 16-year-old from Utah who died by suicide in September 2017. His parents recently revealed that their son, an honor student and champion high school wrestler who was also an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, had been targeted by a blackmailer from the Ivory Coast.

Tobler’s mother, Tawra Tobler, told the Deseret News that the blackmailer had actually urged her son to take his own life — after taking his last dime.

Peirce said the children are being targeted by a sophisticated criminal group operating overseas.

"It’s definitely a criminal enterprise involving organizations located in countries with which we don’t have extradition treaties," Peirce said. "It’s too sophisticated to be an individual operation."

Those countries include Nigeria, India and, especially, the Ivory Coast, which has long been a center for cybercrime, and where the blackmailers are known as "brouteurs," according to law enforcement and published reports.

In 2014, a former brouteur told a BBC reporter how he operated.

"You [find] yourself a man or a woman who is looking for love,” he said. “Then you start chatting and exchange photos.”

Once that happens, the brouteur imposes what he calls "the tax" and starts draining the victim's wallet dry.

Posts: 19603 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uno reverse: I’m unattractive enough that /they/ decide to end it all.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
It is not just young fellas!
It plenty of well established fellas have fallen victim to it and paid lots of money in promise not to disclose the video or pics to their friends and family on social media only to require more after a payment is made.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25441 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
To avoid any future confusion or concerns, I am personally releasing my own nude selfies to every SIGforum member. Gaze upon my glorious visage. Expect the full catalog in your email by end of week.

Posts: 45385 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
^^^ Yup. It's not just young fellas.

I understand the scheme is to become friends. Get a list of who you're friends with. Then the blackmail threat has teeth.

It works better with married men.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19697 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
No sympathy for these dumbasses, young men, married men, whatever.

Q

Posts: 26464 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
How hard is to not to post pics of Mr. Weiner on the internet?

Posts: 11004 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
And it's not just males being targeted, they do the same thing to women. Some of them even claim they've accessed your webcam (when they haven't) and want money to "not release" the images.

Scammers are gonna scam.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15727 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
It plenty of well established fellas have fallen victim to it and paid lots of money in promise not to disclose the video or pics to their friends and family on social media only to require more after a payment is made.

Just how much money does an online scammer expect to extort from a high school teenager? The real money lies w/ well-established middle-aged men, doesn't it? Guys w/ careers, families, reputations to uphold, deep pockets, etc.

I thought seeing NBC News post the article was ironic. Dateline NBC's popular To Catch a Predator series ended when one of their perps committed suicide when he was confronted in one of their stings. Read about Louis Conradt for more info.

Posts: 3187 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

Just how much money does an online scammer expect to extort from a high school teenager? The real money lies w/ well-established middle-aged men, doesn't it? Guys w/ careers, families, reputations to uphold, deep pockets, etc.

I thought seeing NBC News post the article was ironic. Dateline NBC's popular To Catch a Predator series ended when one of their perps committed suicide when he was confronted in one of their stings. Read about Louis Conradt for more info.

That was kind of my point.

But I would go to bet that the folks aren’t targeting the poor. I bet they are targeting social media accounts where the fella is flashing around all
the things mommy and daddy’s money buys them.
Knowing many many of these families will pay to keep things quiet and not mess up these boy’s future.

If folks are planning to kidnap for ransom they aren’t going to kidnap the poor kids.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25441 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hot Fuzz
Picture of Turbo216
posted Hide Post
We seem to get several of these a month at my department. The guys always try to gloss over the circumstances surrounding the blackmail before finally admitting to the dick pic. The scammers usually want $50, then $200 and it keeps going up from there.

I always tell these guys "look...the internet has millions of dick pics, there really is no need to add yours." I further explain that if you must send a DP to some random hot chick (that's probably a dude) who wants to be your friend on Snapchat, why not just pick a really impressive one that's already out there on internet? That way, if they send it to a couple of your contacts, so what.

Last month some 19 year old got scammed for a couple hundred. The rookie I was FTO'ing asked the guy for screen shots of the conversation so he could add it to the case file. Moron sent the rookie his dick pics with the screen shots. Then, if that wasn't enough, the rookie uploaded the pics into our computer system...ugh.

Hater of fun since 2001!

Posts: 587 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just had an MQT kid kill himself over this scam.
I hope the scum who did this are caught and charged.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16117 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
We get these all the time, and there's literally nothing we can do. We can't trace them, end even if we could they're almost certainly overseas and unprosecutable. I actually have yet to take a report from a juvenile on one of these...it's all been adults. Mostly college-age, but adults nonetheless.

I have a hard time having any sympathy. With the amount of tech that these people grew up with, it should be pretty clear by now that anything you put out there you can't take back. Keep your dick in your pants and these problems are 100% avoidable. And good grief, if you must send horribly ill-advised dick picks to some random person on the internet, why in the world would you include your FACE in the picture? But they do, and then they call and expect us to be able to make it magically go away. Sorry bud, some hairy fat dude in Russia now has your dick pick with your face in it, your name, and all your contacts...hope it was worth it. Time to delete your Facebook account.

I really wish they'd let me get up in front of the entire student body at the beginning of the year and let me explain to these morons what is going to happen if they do this, but it's a Christian college and the administration would prefer to pretend it doesn't happen.

Posts: 8646 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
1. Put tape over your web cam or keep the shutter closed.

2. Never take, post, text any compromising photo, dick pic, etc.

How hard is that?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17297 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
There was a case in MI 2 months ago, kid 17 or so killed himself over it. He got tripped up in a blackmail scheme, took the permanent fix for a temporary problem.

Yes, guys like naked pictures, not so much the ladies. Don’t bother sending a dick picture to someone trying to win her over. One is better off sending pictures that infer wealth, or the ‘well dressed’ guy.

I think sites are rampant with fake female profiles, working scam routines.

Posts: 6176 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post