SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best streaming service with local news
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best streaming service with local news Login/Join 
Picture of smlsig
posted
I didn’t want to jump on Kevin’s thread so I thought I’d ask this question separately.

A few months ago, after reading all the positive comments about cutting the cord we finally decided to give it a go at our house and have, for the most part, been pleased. We currently have Netflix and Prime. But I have another issue. I also have several rental properties that we own in a few states and I provide TV services as part of the package. So I’m wondering if there is a way to get a “master account” that can be used on multiple tv’s which will provide local stations for news, weather etc.

The only one I can think of is possibly Hulu Plus but am wondering what others may have found that works in situations like this.
Thanks

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6335 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Youtubetv cost is $65.00/mo. Each account. I do not know of a "property manager" type account. If two rentals are in the same area (for local tv) they can share a family plan. Just don't give the password.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
I didn’t want to jump on Kevin’s thread so I thought I’d ask this question separately.

A few months ago, after reading all the positive comments about cutting the cord we finally decided to give it a go at our house and have, for the most part, been pleased. We currently have Netflix and Prime. But I have another issue. I also have several rental properties that we own in a few states and I provide TV services as part of the package. So I’m wondering if there is a way to get a “master account” that can be used on multiple tv’s which will provide local stations for news, weather etc.

The only one I can think of is possibly Hulu Plus but am wondering what others may have found that works in situations like this.
Thanks

With Hulu Plus you have to give a home zip code and that is the local stations you get. Any smart TV or streaming device must be on that home network in order to play. You can stream on mobile devices when you travel, provided you have logged on to your home network at least once in the past 30 days.

So, you can only use the live TV at one house.

More details:
https://help.hulu.com/s/articl...twork?language=en_US

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
Invest in some cheap HD antennas for local channels and news and go with the Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+ package for $12.99 a month. Best deal going right now...

https://www.disneyplus.com/wel...uPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Not a streaming service per se but an app that does the trick. https://newson.us/ works for us if OTA gets flaky.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16258 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Youtube TV. You can have up to 4 devices on it I believe. I used it on my tablet in different states when traveling and my wife uses it at home at the same time without an issue.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
YouTubeTV does the trick

Posts: 13819 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aparoche:
Invest in some cheap HD antennas for local channels and news and go with the Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+ package for $12.99 a month. Best deal going right now...

https://www.disneyplus.com/wel...uPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

This sounds like a good option. I would either buy a subscription for each location or just give them credit back for the tv service just to keep things simple.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19721 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
YouTubeTV does the trick

Yep it is great, but they periodically add channels and raise the price...

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Just an FYI, but YouTube TV has a similar restriction as Hulu as far as streaming away from home. Only difference is you have to check in every 90 days whereas Hulu is every 30 days.

https://streamingclarity.com/y...ssfully%20registered.

One of the main benefits of YouTube TV is that a single subscription can be shared with up to five other family members. However, family members are bound by the same restrictions and this is another area where some accounts might encounter an issue.

Some subscribers might assume they can share their YouTube TV subscription with family members who don’t live with them. For example, a son or daughter away at college, a brother who lives in another state, or their parents back home.

While this is technically possible, YouTube TV’s family account is designed to be for those who live in the same home. As a result, any family member a subscription is shared with, will also need to check in through the account holder’s (family manager) home area.

To explain, while YouTube TV requires a device to log in through the home area, the device itself doesn’t matter. If you have a TV in a second home in another state, but you sign in through the home area using a different TV, a mobile device, or a set-top box, the login will be successfully registered. It is the account that has to register, not the device.

It is also the accounts of family members that have to register a login through the home area as well, and every 90 days. Unless the family member comes to visit once every three months, YouTube TV is unlikely to work for those living-apart family members, on a permanent basis.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
We have FUBO and it has served us well for over a year. We got it because it was a rare ability to watch Houston Astros baseball vs ATT.

They have since added SEC Sports and ESPN and Disney stations.

You can watch local ABC/CBS/Fox stations as well.

HK Ag

Posts: 3507 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Just an FYI, but YouTube TV has a similar restriction as Hulu as far as streaming away from home. Only difference is you have to check in every 90 days whereas Hulu is every 30 days.

That's why I use OpenVPN to get back to my home network. Nobody knows that I'm not there with OpenVPN.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10941 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig77:
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
YouTubeTV does the trick

Yep it is great, but they periodically add channels and raise the price...

They also remove channels and not lower the price (fox sports)

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Those flat TV antennas work for me. Depends on location and where broadcast or relay towers are.

You can google "DTV map" and get a good idea if they will work in your locations, and what stations you can expect to pick up.

Posts: 4015 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
The flat tv antennas won’t work for the primary home I’m trying to cover as it’s on the Outer Banks of NC, 20 miles offshore and over 120 miles from Norfolk...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6335 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
If you want a diy solution, you could install a Plex server at each location (on an old PC or NAS) hook in a digital antenna, and stream it anywhere in the world for free.

Around here you can get a Dell Optiplex 3010SFF for $100.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8222 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post