SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mustang vs. Mercedes
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mustang vs. Mercedes Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Get the mustang, but if you can afford it get the gt350 or 500. The gt350 is a higher reving even more fun car to drive.

Posts: 255 | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Those are two COMPLETELY different cars. C class Mercedes seem like crap to me though. Not sure I'd ever buy a C class. Love a Mustang except for the fact that it's a 2 seater. No Adults except a "little person" can comfortably ride anywhere in the back seats...

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
Those are two COMPLETELY different cars. C class Mercedes seem like crap to me though. Not sure I'd ever buy a C class. Love a Mustang except for the fact that it's a 2 seater. No Adults except a "little person" can comfortably ride anywhere in the back seats...

Prior generations I'd agree on the C being a lesser car, but what I'd call crap.
The W205 (2015+) are very 'baby S-class'

My grandmother had a 2014 & 15 S550 when I had my C300. Hers was obviously double the car, but materials & layout was very similar.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15303 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
Years ago I bought a used E55 AMG from the local M-B dealer. It was certified and had 18 months left of the factory warranty. I loved the car, very fast and sort of undercover (silver 4-door) but I sold it after 17 months. I knew what M-B service/repair/parts co$$$t.

I'd go Mustang.

Posts: 4027 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
No denying a Mustang will have lower running costs, and a much better aftermarket support

Might exceed the OP budget & be a bit older, but a CTS-V could scratch that 6MT itch & V8, with 4 doors.

Posts: 15303 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a 2017 mustang gt350. Different engine than the GT, and you could push a button to adjust the muffler sound. The gt350 did not seem loud from inside with the windows rolled up. It was a great car but burned oil like crazy. Easily 3-4 quarts every 900-1000 miles, but that car has a 10 quart system. Every spring I had to service the A/C for some part always failing. Also, the manual transmission on a GT is crappy compared to a gt350. If you can get a mach 1 I recommend that. It has more gt350 parts including the transmission.

Posts: 426 | Registered: January 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
My buddy and I went out test driving vehicles, and we took out an AMG MB with the 6.3. I concur with Jeremy Clarkson of The Grand Tour/Top Gear where he describes it as an “ax murderer” due to the crazy amount of power.

I’ve never driven a Mustang, but I would consider an ecoboost due to having driven our agency’s Police Interceptor SUVs(Explorers) with that motor IF……I was happy with my Ford dealer’s service experience.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1169 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
^ The EcoBoost Mustang is a 2.3l I4 turbo, not the 3.5l twin-turbo V6 from the trucks.

Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
^ The EcoBoost Mustang is a 2.3l I4 turbo, not the 3.5l twin-turbo V6 from the trucks.

I just assumed they did since they span from the 4 to an 8. Not knowing, is the 6 a taller motor for SUVs and trucks? Possibly not fitting in a shorter sporty vehicle?

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1169 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I've had very good luck with my MB's. I'll buy another when we drive this one into the ground and I'll be a longtime fan. My parents have had multiple MBs. My In laws have had 10+. All been very happy and all will keep buying them. Do they cost more to maintain? Yeah. So do all of the great cars.

I can't see much comparison between an AMG MB and a Mustang, frankly. I've driven a C43 and it was pretty bonkers.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Two different worlds in my opinion.
European vs American vibe. I own a 21 GT Premium 10 Speed, 401A, no performance pack. I don’t think it’s worth the up charge. So far 8000 miles and the smile I get from this car is genuine.
I am all about Benz owners that are happy. I just don’t like their parameters for “ the perfect driving experience”. Complex….

As a dealership family member, I am sure I look at cars different.The Mustang is s crap load of performance for the dollar, especially the 10 speed. Loud, rowdy, just plain REWARDING!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
If you are used to a BMW, even an old one, the Mustang will lack many refinements.

The interior will feel cheap, the fit and finish will be rough.

The latest mustangs do drive better than the latest camaros, and they are more practical, because ford actually thought about usable storage and visibility over aesthetics.

Anyway.

I like my cars to handle and Mercedes and Audi have never sold anything I want to drive on a track FWIW.

I own a 2020 M340 and it's easily the most awesome thing I've ever daily driven.
The problem is now I want an M3 like no other, beaver snout and all...

Posts: 5132 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
Of the four M-Bs we've had over the last 40 years we still have one. We ordered a 2001 SLK320 6-speed 3.2L V6 for a 20th Wedding Anniversary gift for my long suffering wife.

She still loves and drives it a lot yet it has just under 100K miles on the ODO. No problems and it looks great to this day. She says now she would rather have an automatic trans, but it is very quick with the stick.

Posts: 4027 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
2 words….

Porsche Cayman

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6315 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
As soon as the OP mentioned “manual” and “daily driver”, I wondered why a Porsche Cayman didn’t make his list.

It’s THE car for fun, firm suspension, and Porsche brakes are no joke.

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
If you are used to a BMW, even an old one, the Mustang will lack many refinements.

The latest mustangs do drive better than the latest camaros, and they are more practical, because ford actually thought about usable storage and visibility over aesthetic

All true.

quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
2 words….

Porsche Cayman

Yes sir. I had a 2014 base Cayman that I recently sold. I loved that car. It was perfectly reliable and was essentially a luxury gokart. However, I need a back seat.

Roger

Posts: 11 | Registered: November 29, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
There is a reason Ford no longer builds cars, the Mustang only survives due to its fan base. I own a Ford truck great vehicle but I also own a Mercedes coupe. So my vote is MB all day long if you are looking at cars.

Posts: 3572 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Z06:
Of the four M-Bs we've had over the last 40 years we still have one. We ordered a 2001 SLK320 6-speed 3.2L V6 for a 20th Wedding Anniversary gift for my long suffering wife.
She still loves and drives it a lot yet it has just under 100K miles on the ODO. No problems and it looks great to this day. She says now she would rather have an automatic trans, but it is very quick with the stick.

Long been a fan of the first generation SLK
Got a brief bit of seat time in an SLK32AMG & it was a hoot.
Had a couple friends with SLKs in college. 1 a SLK230 auto & the other a SLK320 6MT. Never got to drive the 320.

Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Freq Geek:
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:

The latest mustangs do drive better than the latest camaros, and they are more practical, because ford actually thought about usable storage and visibility over aesthetic

All true.

quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
2 words….

Porsche Cayman

Yes sir. I had a 2014 base Cayman that I recently sold. I loved that car. It was perfectly reliable and was essentially a luxury gokart. However, I need a back seat.

Well get a Macan of whatever flavor (I.e.horsepower) you want. My choice would be the GTS..

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6315 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Freq Geek:
Everyone,
Thank you for the replies.

I'm looking for a nice, fun, relatively quiet daily driver. I like firm suspensions, good brakes and horsepower. I prefer manual transmissions.

It used to be that a V8, manual transmission, rear wheel drive car was easy to fix. That is no longer the case. I drove a newer Camaro and didn't like it. My current BMW is 15 years old. It's nice, but I'm ready for something different.

Sounds like an M3 is what you're looking for. Still not easy to fix, but suspension, power, and stick it has.

Posts: 3660 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post