SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Being a School Teacher in 2021
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Being a School Teacher in 2021 Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
My niece is a HS art teacher, and obviously, the thread title is especially relevant for secondary school teachers. She is actually fairly liberal, but she told my brother that it’s really stressful being on guard throughout the school day. Her story to my brother started with using the acceptable pronouns, referring to the transgendered as “they.” She said she considers everything she says now, because she could be phone videoed at any time and if you say something that’s not PC, you’re hauled in front of the principal—at best, and in front of the school board if the incident goes further, and they do.

At another school in the district, this quote was posted on a hallway whiteboard:
quote:
The man who has no sense of history is like a man with no ears or eyes,

The quote was not attributed, but somebody determined that the quote came from Hitler. All hell broke loose. Lots of public flogging, public apologies, inquisition. Now two professors say they don’t think Hitler ever said or wrote the quote.

Insanity. This is our world now. So sorry for those still in a vulnerable place in it.

Posts: 13341 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Teach in a private school even if it means a loss of income. Supplement with tutoring.

Posts: 17325 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Teach in a private school even if it means a loss of income. Supplement with tutoring.

This.

We're letting our daughter finish her senior year, but there is a mass exodus from public schools underway. They're getting what they wanted...conservatives to leave.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13961 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I saw this story today. Very much related, this idiocy has infected all of society.

https://twitter.com/ErikWemple.../1357807684674871297

I guess the old kids rhyme needs to be modified or canceled.

"Sticks and stones can break my bones and even words can kill me."

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
I guess my first thought (not pointed to your niece) was that many liberals I know (incl friends and family) openly support the liberal agenda; and then openly complain re the fruits of their choices. They somehow don't see the connection.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's pathetic how much time and effort we give to 5% of the population.

Posts: 3943 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I cannot imagine working in joke that calls itself an "education" system in this country <smhs>

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Honestly, if I were a teacher, I would NOT use ANY pronouns for anyone at ANY time....A conscientious objector so to speak. Everyone would be referred to by either their last name only, or first and last name, Period! No special treatment for anyone....Problem solved

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9043 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
At another school in the district, this quote was posted on a hallway whiteboard:
quote:
The man who has no sense of history is like a man with no ears or eyes,

The quote was not attributed, but somebody determined that the quote came from Hitler. All hell broke loose. Lots of public flogging, public apologies, inquisition. Now two professors say they don’t think Hitler ever said or wrote the quote.

This? https://apnews.com/article/edu...eaddf5e72b10936f8ceb

quote:
OMAHA, Neb. (AP) — Administrators for middle school in Omaha are apologizing over the display of an Adolf Hitler quote in a school hallway earlier this week.

Westside Middle School Principal Kim Eymann and district Superintendent Mike Lucas sent an email to parents, students and staff Monday apologizing for the display, the Omaha World-Herald reported.

The quote read, “The man who has no sense of history is like a man with no ears or eyes,” and was posted on an eighth grade hallway marker board as part of a running “quote of the day” exercise.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18037 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
And the really sad part is that parents all over the country are fighting tooth and nail to get their kids back into these indoctrination centers.

Posts: 20178 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
Honestly, if I were a teacher, I would NOT use ANY pronouns for anyone at ANY time....A conscientious objector so to speak. Everyone would be referred to by either their last name only, or first and last name, Period! No special treatment for anyone....Problem solved

I adopted that policy a few years ago for a college class. I had a student who I could not tell the gender, not from the name, appearance, demeanor, conversations. Being in Silicon Valley, I didn't want to cross the politically correct line.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jtedescucci
posted Hide Post
I tried teaching several years back. What a freaking nightmare! Everything that "the system" did was in such opposition to all the morals & principles that my family stands for that I literally couldn't cut it. I got OUT OF THERE about as fast as I could. Let someone else deal with the discipline problems when the administration refuses to back up the teachers. It wasn't for me... but I still have nightmares about the garbage that the kids are being taught these days. And I will always remember that whatever advantage the liberals have in our country today started with the indoctrination that our kids have been receiving in "the public schools" these past 60 or 70 years....FredT

"...we have put together I think the most extensive & inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics." - Joe Biden

Posts: 3043 | Location: AC/Clarksville | Registered: February 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I taught high school chemistry from 1970-1977.

A collogue came by my lab during my first year and asked me to join a teacher's union. She said she was shooting for 100% membership. I told her that I could relieve some of that stress, because I disliked unions - especially unions of public employees.

She said, "So, I guess you'll be taking a free ride on all the the benefits that the union will provide."

I told her she could take a free ride on my social finger and offered it to her. She was quite offended by this and filed a complaint with THE ADMINISTRATION. I was admonished and thereafter known as the 'finger guy'.

There are two main teacher's unions, the American Federation of Teachers and the National Education Association.

You can read up on these fucking organizations if your blood pressure is low OR you can fix yourself a stiff bourbon and go bed.

I recommend and latter course and will be implementing it myself shortly.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15498 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
Unions have destroyed the whole system. we sent our daughter to private catholic schools it was very tough on us financially, but I don't regret it.

one of the things that did irritate me was the people who asked for assistance and they drove around in a 70k vehicle. And when the parents decided to pull their troubled kid out of the public system and put him is private to straighten him or her up. Disruptive trouble makers.

Posts: 5615 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
So, Shugart, from now on, when we speak of you it will be "Finger Guy". OK by you? Works for me! Big Grin

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3770 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Wait till she realizes her school is in Gilead. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14053 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A story on the radio claims that the gambling industry in America is around 300 billion dollar a year buisness.

Imagine if there were a way to tax a portion of that to supplement education at the state and local levals .

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54796 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

Private schools around us start at $19K/yr, my wife is nearing $65K with nearly 15yrs in...there aren’t enough hours in the day nor students to be tutored to make up that difference.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3635 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
A story on the radio claims that the gambling industry in America is around 300 billion dollar a year buisness.

Imagine if there were a way to tax a portion of that to supplement education at the state and local levals .

It'll be exciting to see all the new and interesting ways the admins come up with to direct those funds towards their own salaries and pet projects, while ensuring classrooms go without essential supplies, forcing teachers to buy things out of their own pockets.

It's what government excells at, taking lots of money and making sure only a little of it gets where it needs to, then they bitch about Da Chirrens not getting enough, and we're all selfish for not caving further.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17016 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The school system does not need money, gambling or otherwise. It is top heavy with faux administrators and equity counselors and other nonsense. My state spends thousands per student per year and still has a very high dropout rate. Make them teach, not indoctrinate!

Posts: 17180 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post