SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Seems like used vehicle prices are jumping up substantially as well as vehicle parts.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seems like used vehicle prices are jumping up substantially as well as vehicle parts. Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Had the Tundra for 3 weeks now and prices on the used ones have jumped about 2-3k from where they were when I was shopping.
I know new Tundras are in low supply so I guess that could be driving it. Looks like I bought at a solid time.

I bought an American made aluminum trifold bed over and they are $100 more expensive and the tires I bought are now $32 more a tire.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25701 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Toyota's main website says that there are no new Tacomas in my region. No new cars, used go up.

Posts: 12583 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
everything is going up. Food seems much higher now. SD Ammo too.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11106 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
everything is going up. Food seems much higher now. SD Ammo too.

Everything is more expensive. Inflation due to the ultra-low interest rates. The cost of doing business due to all of the additional covid requirements. The supply chains being interrupted in many manufacturing segments due to plant closings, or reduced employees due to social distancing. Even companies that have much higher revenue are seeing even higher costs and are losing money. So many factors and it's very hard to do business and make money for many of these businesses and charge the same prices and make a profit. A lot of the raw material supply chains are effected for the automotive industry so some vehicles can't be built because the factory doesn't have something as simple as brake pads or tail lights or xyz. All of these are contributing factors and lots of long established national businesses are filing bankruptcy daily.

But if you can't get new models due to various reasons, more people will buy used, and it goes back to supply and demand.

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NapoleonSolo
posted Hide Post
Used vehicles have been increasing in price the last 3-4 percentage wise more than normal. I am in the automotive industry and I would have thought we would see prices dip due to the Hertz bankruptcy. The hot new models are few and far between and this keeps the used market going ever higher. The price of new vehicles is getting pretty crazy and that is another reason why used prices are climbing.

“Our actions may be impeded...
But there can be no impeding our intentions or our dispositions. Because we can accommodate and adapt. The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting.

The impeding to action advances action.

What stands in the way becomes the way.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Posts: 251 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: November 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Motorcycles as well. A month back Harley said 70% of their dealers will not receive another new motorcycle this year and they better start buying and making money selling used units. So both new and used Harleys are up.

My local power sports store (all 4 Japanese brands plus KTM) had a larger than normal inventory in January but have been selling so many that they are out of most models now. Previously 150 was a good month but they sold 200+ units in April, 200+ in May and they were on track to repeat in June. Their used section has almost nothing left but beaters. A new bike that I've had on order since last year should finally arrive in a week or two. I asked the manager if he wanted one of my bikes on trade or should I sell it? He said "we want used bikes, especially clean ones" and came up with very fair trade values on them for me.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7288 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
You know vehicle prices better than nearly anyone here.
As you know, used vehicle prices are a lot more variable, and a lot more negotiable, than new.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24641 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
At the dealership for AC troubleshooting on Monday I chatted with the owner for a bit. Even though the lot looks crammed, he says they need inventory. There was no production for several months. And they especially want used vehicles.

Just kicking the tires on a new SUV, the sales-kid started with, "So, will you be trading in a vehicle?"

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
As you know, used vehicle prices are a lot more variable, and a lot more negotiable, than new.

True.
But the asking prices are about 2-3k more then when I was looking 3+ weeks ago. I am in a Tundra group and multiple folks post each day about the truck they bought or are planning to buy at what price.
And prices are up very noticeably.

————————————————

H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

True.
But the asking prices are about 2-3k more then when I was looking 3+ weeks ago. I am in a Tundra group and multiple folks post each day about the truck they bought or are planning to buy at what price.

Did you leave the Expedition group?

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
You can’t find used cars around here. I have a 2008 Tundra with low miles I’ve considered selling because prices are so high right now.

Posts: 1531 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
This is good news, if it holds. I have two used niche vehicles going on the market very soon.

Posts: 3865 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 21bubba:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

True.

Did you leave the Expedition group?

Traded to the Tundra.

quote:
Originally posted by cooger:
You can’t find used cars around here. I have a 2008 Tundra with low miles I’ve considered selling because prices are so high right now.

That I know. Most of the trucks I was looking at were 4+ hours away.
I ended up driving 2 hours and getting mine in Hardinsburg. There were two about an hour away but sold the day I called about them.

————————————————