SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Department of Homeland Security wants to require photographs of traveling US citizens
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Department of Homeland Security wants to require photographs of traveling US citizens Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted
I have Global Entry, was in the military, etc, etc so I have no delusions about the fact that the government already has pretty much all of my biometric data, but I still think this is a terrible idea.

Department of Homeland Security wants to require photographs of traveling US citizens
Carissa Rawson
2h ago

Be prepared to smile for the camera if you are planning on entering or exiting the U.S. — at least if The Department of Homeland Security gets its way.

DHS has posted a notice stating it intends to amend a regulation so that it can photograph all travelers — U.S. citizens included — as they enter or exit the country. Now, it’s still in the planning stages so things could change, but it looks like it could eventually become a regular feature.

As reported by View From the Wing, a notice buried in the Unified Agenda of Regulatory and Deregulatory Actions, from fall 2019 is titled “Collection of Biometric Data From U.S. Citizens Upon Entry To and Departure From the United States.”

According to the notice, the facial recognition is meant to help U.S. officials prevent fraudulent use of travel documents as well as identify criminals and terrorists. This is in contrast to current regulations, which U.S. citizens can choose to opt out of — and cites a law already in place that allows the government to photograph non-citizens transiting through U.S. airports.

Whether or not this will be implemented remains to be seen, though it appears that the DHS is already seeking to collaborate with airlines to collect passenger information, ostensibly to create a more “seamless” user experience.

Although the idea of mandatory photographs may be alarming to some people, it should be familiar to travelers with Global Entry as new facial recognition kiosks have been popping up around the country. This allows registered travelers to speed through immigration without the need for passport scanning or fingerprint recognition. The TSA has also been testing biometrics at airports including at Las Vegas’ McCarran International Airport (LAS) back in August, but those tests have been voluntary. Both American Airlines and Delta have also tested biometric boarding.

Late this afternoon Democratic Senator Edward J. Markey of Massachusetts released a statement strongly condemning the idea, “The Department of Homeland Security should immediately withdraw plans to force Americans to undergo facial recognition and hand over their biometric information. This proposal would amount to disturbing government coercion.”

Markey suggested Homeland Security cannot be trusted to keep our information safe and secure, and said he will soon introduce legislation on the matter to, “ensure that innocent American citizens are never forced to hand over their facial recognition information.”

TPG has reached out to DHS for comment regarding the notice, though has not received a response at the time of publication. This article will be updated to reflect any statements given.

Link

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
After reading this piece I was opposed to this effort. Then I read Rep. Markey opposes it, so now I'm rethinking my position. Markey's never been right about anything in his entire life, so maybe this is a good thing.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
With you Balze, - my passports, global entry, TSA, Aus Border Force and others, my biometrics are on file for Customs to see.

On entering Australia, you will be facially imaged by Aussie Border Force/Customs for biometrics.

My last flight to Australia, all passengers facial image on boarding the plane. No exceptions. Or don't board. Not the airline policy. US/Aus customs.

Facial recognition is correlated between passport, exit/entry image and at immigration smartgates. Aging is factored for.

Having worked/involved in this field, I am well aware of the benefits, and the potential for quick ID of undesirable entry.

And the possible failures of downstream hardware devices and software.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23461 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have Global Entry, then you're getting photographed every time you return back to the US.

Extending this to everyone returning back into the US, is simply extending the process to all passengers.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of VonFatman
posted Hide Post
nuther reason to stay home

Posts: 376 | Registered: September 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I hate to tell anyone but if you have a driver's licenses someone has your picture already. How it's shared and used is up to each state.

I have been photographed and fingerprinted more than once by the government for background checks like most here. So they already have all that.

I like the idea that it can help prevent certain people from entering but I would be surprised if some facial recognition isn't already in use.

FWIW I have been fingerprinted entering and leaving Honduras. They use electronic fingerprint readers on both hands when you enter but just one, to confirm it's really you when you leave.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16403 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
If you have Global Entry, then you're getting photographed every time you return back to the US.

Extending this to everyone returning back into the US, is simply extending the process to all passengers.

It is not just Global Entry - my family doesn't have it, but we've smiled for the Custom's camera every time we re-enter the US

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

It is not just Global Entry - my family doesn't have it, but we've smiled for the Custom's camera every time we re-enter the US

You know, that's absolutely right. With the automated machines, everyone gets photographed.

For instance, my daughter a few years ago...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was just about to post the same as above. The kiosks went into effect about 5 years ago at DTW. I figured it was the same everywhere. I've been getting photographed since then.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I went to Istanbul had to face a monitor.
Went to Italy had to face a monitor.
Came back to the USA had to face a monitor.

I recently got a passport.
I recently got the DL with the star on it.

I own guns.
I have a ccw.
I pay taxes.

I'm thinking the government has all the info they want of me.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
We got facial-imaged before boarding the plane headed outbound and by US CBP when we got back. I don't recall if we were imaged before departing Europe.

I'm not certain I understand the objections.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

You don't understand why some might object to the government creating a data base of biometric data of its citizens?

Yes, we currently are photographed at the kiosks when we re-enter the country, but the way I understand it is that it is not mandatory right now; US travelers can opt out. This new regulation will make it mandatory.

And when you got facial imaged going outbound, that was the airline, not the government.

However, i agree that raising objections at this point is mostly moot. Nothing will be able to stop this avalanche of intrusions into our privacy now.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Remember the old saying about ethos/character? What you do/how you act when no one is watching?

No ethos, no problem. We're watched all the time now anyway.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Last time I exited Japan, I didn't have to stop and talk w/ an agent. I just walked through a kiosk which presumably had some facial recognition and logged me as exiting the country.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12724 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Haveme1or2:

I own guns. Maybe they also want to know what you had for breakfast this morning.
I have a ccw.
I pay taxes.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

You don't understand why some might object to the government creating a data base of biometric data of its citizens?

My Lord, man, get a grip. This is when exiting or entering the country, for which you already need either a passport, a GE card, or Real ID. They already have your photo--and, if my wife's and my experiences in obtaining a NEXUS card are any guide, a good deal more than that for a GE card.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by satch:
quote:

I own guns.
I have a ccw.
I pay taxes.

FIFY
Maybe they also want to know what you had for breakfast this morning.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Maybe they also want to know what you had for breakfast this morning.
Isn't that what the TSA dudes are checking when they snap the latex gloves on?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30682 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very smart. The most dangerous threats to the US always enter/exit through airports are rarely cross the northern or southern borders....... Frown

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post