SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Not how I wanted to start my morning
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not how I wanted to start my morning Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
While driving my kids to school a car in front of me ran over a duck. It sucked seeing a group of ducks on the side of the road watch one of their own get creamed. The part that angers me is the driver didn't ever hit their brakes and just kept rolling. Now I'm not a PETA idiot but I care about animals. It was a two lane blacktop and the driver in the other lane had stopped. I stopped hit my flashers and once I saw the car behind me and the one behind it had stopped I got out. I was hoping to help the duck get off the road but the little guy was mangled badly and died in front of me. What a shitty way to start the day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21221 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGINT-228
posted Hide Post
Good on you for stopping to help; I can imagine that little guy could sense your empathy at his last moment.

------------------------------------------------------------
“Come on you sons of bitches, do you want to live forever?” Sergeant Major Dan Daly (USMC)

Posts: 1097 | Registered: August 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Damn, that sucks!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5312 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
The part that angers me is the driver didn't ever hit their brakes and just kept rolling.

Accidents happen, but that would piss me off. That's the kind of thing that, if I had a dash cam, would compel me to join FB and Twitter just to spread the video as far and wide as possible, hopefully shaming the driver into a life of hermit-like solitude.

Mad

Good on you for trying to help.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16312 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Ummm... Color me callus. What can reasonably be expected to be done for an animal struck by a car? If I hit a person, then I am stopping, rendering aid, calling 911, etc. I would probably even stop for a dog, because dogs are honorary members of the human family.

But a duck, snake, squirrel, or possum well honestly, I'll just keep driving. I would try to avoid hitting it of course, though not at the risk of causing a crash. Once hit, it's the responsibility of the buzzards and VDOT road crew.

God Bless and Protect President Donald John Trump.

VOTE EARLY TO BEAT THE CHEAT!!!

Posts: 17546 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
He was moving quite a bit and struggling to get off the road right after being hit. It was hard to watch. That is why I stopped. Sure I should have expected the end result but I guess at the time I was trying to be optimistic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21221 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd stop to make sure that it dies promptly. Did that about 15 years ago.. hit a buzzard on I-10 and I stopped. He was still alive so I took a big rock and smashed his head .

Posts: 1809 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
I despise folks who hit animals while driving and do nothing. Driving comes with being responsible. At least it used to. If you make a mess, clean it up.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10988 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
I despise folks who hit animals while driving and do nothing. Driving comes with being responsible. At least it used to. If you make a mess, clean it up.

There is no way that I am risking my life cleaning squirrel meat or other road kill off of a busy street. Driving (and life) requires a little common sense.

God Bless and Protect President Donald John Trump.

VOTE EARLY TO BEAT THE CHEAT!!!

Posts: 17546 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I've been watching a family of fox every evening around 6:30 to 7:30, which den behind a house in town. I got pics of the male papa from 150 feet away. I watch the 3 pups acting like pups, jumping over top one another. Just 10 minutes ago I find a dead pup laying in the 40 MPH zone. Could have been hit last night. The home owner said the adult pair have been there for 8 years. Poor lil thing. It happens stickman. A friend just a block down said the snapping turtles have picked off every last of 9 baby ducks. I tend to think these fox may have taken some of them.

Posts: 17984 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:

There is no way that I am risking my life cleaning squirrel meat or other road kill off of a busy street. Driving (and life) requires a little common sense.

Indeed.

I mean wow. Come on, folks. Get a grip. We may have a deal with the pigeons (unless you're George Constanza), but as far as I know we don't have any such deal with ducks. Or squirrels for that matter.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/Zs0X5J7NA70

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30900 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
A friend just a block down said the snapping turtles have picked off every last of 9 baby ducks.

David you and your neighbors are better naturalist probably better people than me too, because in my world cute always beats ugly/nasty/advantaged.
I would rimfire, pellet, fish the hell out of those turtles the first time I saw one take down a duckling.
I am just not that good/wise of a person to let nature take it course. For sure snapping turtles make my skin crawl. Yeeeeshhh!!
Mother nature is a cruel thing I get it.

Very sorry to hear about the fox pups too.

HK Ag

Posts: 3533 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not quite your situation, but there were several accidents caused last Spring by drivers slowing down or stopping for ducks on the interstate or busy surface streets. MSP went on TV and asked drivers to not do that.

Posts: 9023 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Watched a neckbeard in a monster truck drive off the road to run over a bear cub
People are shit

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39871 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
A friend just a block down said the snapping turtles have picked off every last of 9 baby ducks.

David you and your neighbors are better naturalist probably better people than me too, because in my world cute always beats ugly/nasty/advantaged.
I would rimfire, pellet, fish the hell out of those turtles the first time I saw one take down a duckling.
I am just not that good/wise of a person to let nature take it course. For sure snapping turtles make my skin crawl. Yeeeeshhh!!
Mother nature is a cruel thing I get it.

Very sorry to hear about the fox pups too.

HK Ag
I am told this morning that bass will take ducklings also.

Posts: 17984 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just be careful.

Would hate to cause a human tragedy to save a couple animals.

Humans > animals.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/f...or-alleges-1.1850997

-----------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Probably texting and never saw the duck coming. Way too much of that lately. Mad

I got a smile about a year ago watching from a front row seat as all four lanes of a local main drag stop for a mama duck and and her five ducklings to cross the road. I wasn't that surprised when the guy next to me stopped for them, but when both lanes on the other side stopped while they were still in the slow lane on my side, I had to grin.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I was always taught you don't brake or swerve for small animals and birds in the road as it puts PEOPLE at risk around you.

If I can safely brake or come to a stop I will but I certainly won't slam on the brakes or swerve for any animal or bird.

I'm all about animals but people come first in my book.

Posts: 4990 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoots Flies
at Fifty Yards!
Picture of SuhlShooter
posted Hide Post
What I want to know is why can't Canada keep their national bird at home?

Damn things won't go back home any more.

Posts: 3028 | Location: Hit the ground running in Moultrie, GA | Registered: July 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Have you been there? It's cold and depressing...I understand why they are reluctant to go home. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~