SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Car Accident Get a Lawyer or Not?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car Accident Get a Lawyer or Not? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
40% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

Did you talk to your insurance company? Seems they should help and can offer guidance.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13409 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
Get a Lawyer and discuss it with them . IF the guy has insurance you may be able to get damages and replace your vehicle . Medical will be paid one way or the other .
Good luck to you . My wife got hit by a drunk driver ( .240 ) . Totaled the car and spent two days in the hospital . Missed 8 weeks of work .
The dude had NO insurance , NO job , NO assets at all . FOURTH offense DWI . Pretty much got a slap on the wrist compared to what my wife endured .
Sorry , I had to vent . Still pissed about it .

So sorry about your wife. Guys like him with his record should be used in live crash tests Mad I know how it feels to have your life changed through no fault of your own. In my case someone couldn't wait a half mile to pass a vehicle. I understand you being mad, my husband wanted to find the guy and have a conversation with him. I was worried about the bills and having to buy another car. The blue book of the car wont cover the cost of replacing it. At least this guy had liability insurance. My husband told me whatever the cost of car and bills it's better than planning a funeral.

Posts: 588 | Location: Missouri | Registered: September 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
40% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

Did you talk to your insurance company? Seems they should help and can offer guidance.

Yeah, they just took my account of what happened, the guy's name and his insurance company which was luckily on my tow receipt and are waiting for the Highway Patrol report. Missouri HP website indicated I have to wait 10 days after the accident to obtain a copy of the report.

Posts: 588 | Location: Missouri | Registered: September 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
Glad to hear you are ok. Idiot drivers abound on the roads. What kind of vehicle/insurance did he have? I ask as that may tell you what your chances of any type of compensation you might be getting. I have been hit a couple times prior and thankfully I had no personal injury and the other party had the bare minimum coverage which sucked for me.

He had liability Geico insurance

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nasig:
did they catch the other guy?

He stopped. His car only had minor front driver side damage and was able to to be driven. He was not injured. He actually came over to see if I was ok. I started cussing at him and letting him know he almost killed me. He left me alone after that. Never said he was sorry though.

Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Anyone recommend an attorney?

Of all the crap in the world being blamed on attorneys, this is an easy call - GET A LAWYER.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
At minimum go talk to one; injuries to neck and back are tricky and may not manifest themselves for several days or even weeks.

Under these circumstances, a good lawyer will help you recover the value of your car in the total settlement if nothing else because you’ll never get full value out of any insurance company- including your own.

Don’t accept an offered check from the violators insurance company. They will likely offer one in the near future to try and end your entitlement before any real injury can surface.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15626 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not usually the type of person who sees a car wreck as an automatic lawyer call like it's a lottery ticket like so many people seem to act these days.

It does sound like it was a bad enough wreck that you may have lingering injuries. At the very least make sure you get thoroughly checked out to make sure you are ok. Seems like this could have really been bad news so be thankful for that at least.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JYuma:
quote:
Originally posted by nasig:
did they catch the other guy?

He stopped. His car only had minor front driver side damage and was able to to be driven. He was not injured. He actually came over to see if I was ok. I started cussing at him and letting him know he almost killed me. He left me alone after that. Never said he was sorry though.

I'm in no way, shape, or form, on this guy's side here. Having said that...

He was right not to say he was sorry. If you are involved in an accident, never apologize or admit fault at the scene. That would be like giving a confession, and it would only hurt him. He may be sorry, but he shouldn't admit it immediately after the accident. I did that once on a minor thing, and after the accident was analyzed it was determined to not be 100% my fault. But I had already admitted it, it was on the police report, and that was as good as chiseled in stone. I ended up paying 100% because of my statement.

Hope it goes okay for you. Good luck.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8222 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JYuma:
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
Glad to hear you are ok. Idiot drivers abound on the roads. What kind of vehicle/insurance did he have? I ask as that may tell you what your chances of any type of compensation you might be getting. I have been hit a couple times prior and thankfully I had no personal injury and the other party had the bare minimum coverage which sucked for me.

He had liability Geico insurance

Definitely get a lawyer.

Posts: 26943 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
I'm not usually the type of person who sees a car wreck as an automatic lawyer call like it's a lottery ticket like so many people seem to act these days.

It does sound like it was a bad enough wreck that you may have lingering injuries. At the very least make sure you get thoroughly checked out to make sure you are ok. Seems like this could have really been bad news so be thankful for that at least.

I am of the same thought. I'm not looking or thinking about a lottery type payout like those that sue over any little thing. I just want this guy to pay for what he did me.
I am so thankful to be here alive today. I thought I was going to die when he was headed toward me.

posted Hide Post
This guy will never pay for what he did to you. Lawyers will get there cut, your time will be taken away from you. Insurance will pay the minimum they have to. You will suffer.

Sorry to be harsh but having been in accidents before the scum that caused it- when they are reckless, turns out they don't make good choices in other parts of there life either. And they don't have any remorse. Or resources to pay.

Lawyers are not needed.

Posts: 438 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get a lawyer. Last week were were hit buy a guy without insurance or license.

So far, we are into this for about $2K. Deductible, copays for my ride to the hospital and other lost income.

Posts: 7022 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
If he has insurance and was at fault, his insurance will pay, up to the limit of his policy. Just hope it was enough. Have you contacted your insurance? You may have coverage that the other guy's can't or doesn't pay, such as medical payments.

Posts: 28007 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
30%-40% when it’s all said and done is pretty standard. Don’t hire the guy with the biggest ad or the flashy commercial just because they have the ad. A lot of the ambulance chasers are settlement machines. The insurance company lawyers know who they can settle with and who will take it out of their ass. Ask around locally. The consult should be free. Take notes.

Posts: 4283 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
Certainly recommend at least consulting a lawyer. Most will take down the information and give you an idea of what your case looks like and how they might go about helping you. This is worth knowing.

Don't be surprised if the other guy gets a lawyer who tries to get you held responsible for the accident and your insurance company liable for the damages.

Be prepared for any litigation or claims to take a long time. Even for relatively small money (say, under $100K) the insurance companies and their lawyers will try to slow-roll you. Meanwhile, you will be getting bills from the hospital.

The other guy's insurance company will try to screw you. Be very careful what you say to them, and indeed (here's where the lawyer comes in) maybe you shouldn't say much of anything. Even your own insurance company will try to screw you. All of them are trying to hold on to money that they think of as theirs.

Lawyer-up? I think so.

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
If he has insurance and was at fault, his insurance will pay, up to the limit of his policy. Just hope it was enough. Have you contacted your insurance? You may have coverage that the other guy's can't or doesn't pay, such as medical payments.

I have good auto and medical insurance. He has insurance also, but he has an older car so he may only carry liability. I have a copy of the tow company's paperwork which contained his name and insurance company. I contacted my insurance the same day as the accident.

drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Get a lawyer ASAP that is working for YOU . And do not talk to ANYONE from either side without your lawyer present. Also when and if you do talk get either video and or audio recordings of all conversations because it will not be disputable as to who said what. Keep ALL notes/bills/and any medical records so as later if and when presented in court proceedings all of these match and prove the same thing. In Dec.1995 our 15 year old daughter passed away suddenly while under doctors care. Took us 9 1/2 yrs to get him into a courtroom and the records that he produced did not match the records that we presented that proved that things were added after I had picked up a copy of her COMPLETE file that I had picked up 3 days after her passing. The judge did find in our favor. By the time we got into the courtroom the doctor had retired and no longer practicing . ......................................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2024 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JYuma:... I thought I was going to die when he was headed toward me.

You will deal with this for a long time. And almost anytime you are facing a large truck, coming up a hill, or finding someone passing and coming toward you on a two lane road. (all of those elements having been part of your experience)

It is normal, and expect it, so that it does not cause you to have a panic attack in the moment.

But you will get beyond it. It will just take time and trusting your own control of your driving.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43923 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
Get a lawyer ASAP that is working for YOU . And do not talk to ANYONE from either side without your lawyer present. Also when and if you do talk get either video and or audio recordings of all conversations because it will not be disputable as to who said what. Keep ALL notes/bills/and any medical records so as later if and when presented in court proceedings all of these match and prove the same thing. In Dec.1995 our 15 year old daughter passed away suddenly while under doctors care. Took us 9 1/2 yrs to get him into a courtroom and the records that he produced did not match the records that we presented that proved that things were added after I had picked up a copy of her COMPLETE file that I had picked up 3 days after her passing. The judge did find in our favor. By the time we got into the courtroom the doctor had retired and no longer practicing . ......................................... drill sgt.

Thank you for the advice!

I cannot even imagine what you went through Frown I know it was a long time ago, but I am sorry for the loss of your daughter. Then to have him what sounds like change the records is inexcusable. Glad he was eventually held responsible, though he could never repay what he took from you.