SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's the word on ultrasonic cleaners?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the word on ultrasonic cleaners? Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
For cleaning guns, specifically. Although if I could chuck my airbrushes in there too, that'd be swell.

What's your experience, and what brands/models are best?

I've been watching a bunch of youtube reviews and some seem to do good work, but one video showed a Hornady model doing less than ideal cleaning.

What cleaner do you add to the water?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I’ve had the Hornady for a few years now and I use it on everything from brass to car parts. You just need to pay attention to what finish and cleaners you use.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
Do you have to be careful with anodized Aluminum parts?
I've been using simple green and just use it on my BCG's.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
We have two Branson ultrasonic cleaners at the shop. The big one gets 10% simple green and well water. The small one gets Dawn soap and distilled water. They both clean different kinds of parts. I have to admit, I never use the ultrasonic cleaners on my gun parts. They clean very well, but can wreck the finish on a gun in a couple of minutes. If you must, Dawn soap with good water.

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
No one has ever come up with a good guide on which cleaners do what to which finishes, have they?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
I will add----We used the big ultrasonic to clean a load of brass using well water, Dawn soap and a bit of Lemishine. Brass came out looking like brand new.

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am interested in using ultrasonic to clean the trigger assembly on my P320. The parts are stainless, except for the trigger shoe itself.

Does anyone think the flat black finish on the trigger shoe would be damaged?

-c1steve

Posts: 4063 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
I am interested in using ultrasonic to clean the trigger assembly on my P320. The parts are stainless, except for the trigger shoe itself.

Does anyone think the flat black finish on the trigger shoe would be damaged?

A review I saw on Youtube had a guy running a 320 through the ultrasonic and it was fine, or at least he didn't report any issues.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I know the Harbor Freight one I had worked poorly one time. The next time I tried it, it didn't work at all. lol

Posts: 21123 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post