SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Baltimore Mayor Catherine Pugh and the missing books // update: Pugh sentenced to 3 years (p5)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Baltimore Mayor Catherine Pugh and the missing books // update: Pugh sentenced to 3 years (p5) Login/Join 
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
What is despicable about this is that it was supposed to improve the health of children. Did even one child get any benefit at all from it?

I wouldn't make book on it.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2086 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
quote:
His company donated $20,000 to her inaugural committee and gave the city’s official charitable foundation $85,000 to fund projects backed by Pugh to aid squeegee boys and teenage entrepreneurs, according to records obtained by The Baltimore Sun.

"Squeegee Boys?"

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2840 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pugh’s defense team said they “strongly disagree” with the recommendation.

I imagine they do; one of the leftist anointed is actually on the hook for crimes they committed. This would be a fantastic opportunity for Trump to step in and push the prior democrat senator and mayor angle. I hope the fed doesn't back down on her sentencing. Just taking her house will NOT be enough.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ummm ..., yes, that is among the things that defense lawyers are paid to do.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridgerat:
quote:
His company donated $20,000 to her inaugural committee and gave the city’s official charitable foundation $85,000 to fund projects backed by Pugh to aid squeegee boys and teenage entrepreneurs, according to records obtained by The Baltimore Sun.

"Squeegee Boys?"

That's the term for "kids" (often grown men) who sit at intersections in Baltimore city and clean car windows for money. If often turns into a shake down situation because they will clean your windshield without asking then try to intimidate you if you don't pay them. The delusional left calls them "entrepreneurs."

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
While stopped at intersections in Baltimore, I have struck up conversations with panhandlers and squeegee boys. I got them to admit how much they make. Both groups seem to make about $30 an hour.

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Suppressed:
While stopped at intersections in Baltimore, I have struck up conversations with panhandlers and squeegee boys. I got them to admit how much they make. Both groups seem to make about $30 an hour.
That sounds good but just think of all the income tax they have to pay! Big Grin

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2086 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
. I wonder how much they have to (kick back) to city hall.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:

Ummm ..., yes, that is among the things that defense lawyers are paid to do.

Did they also "strenuously object?" Big Grin

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:

$30? That is crap money around here. Solicitors at certain intersections in my area make about $150 to $200 for about 2 hours of begging. Then they go and trade that money for dope (usually heroin) and a sandwich from Quick Trip.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Around here, NorCal, they make about $400 for an short afternoon's work. They they go home, buy food with food stamps, etc.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.baltimoresun.com/p...do4pzomku-story.html

Former Baltimore Mayor Catherine Pugh sentenced to 3 years for ‘Healthy Holly’ children’s book fraud scheme

Former Baltimore Mayor Catherine Pugh, who held elected offices in Baltimore for two decades and was elevated by voters to lead the city following the upheaval of 2015, was sentenced to three years in federal prison Thursday for a fraud scheme involving a children’s book series.

Pugh, 69, asked U.S. District Judge Deborah K. Chasanow for mercy and apologized in court “to anyone I have offended or hurt through my actions.”

In handing down the prison sentence, which was to be followed by three years of probation, Chasanow called Pugh’s crime “astounding.”

“I have yet frankly to hear any explanation that makes sense," the judge said. "This was not a tiny mistake, lapse of judgment. This became a very large fraud. The nature and circumstances of this offense clearly I think are extremely, extremely serious.”

Chasanow ordered Pugh to pay restitution of $400,000 to the medical system and nearly $12,000 to the Maryland Auto Insurance Fund, which also paid Pugh for books. She also will have to forfeit nearly $670,000, including her Ashburton home and $17,800 in her campaign account. Pugh has also agreed that all copies of “Healthy Holly” in government custody will be destroyed.

The judge spoke of the deterrent Pugh’s sentence could serve for other elected officials.

“I disagree that the length of the sentence has no impact on others out there who might be thinking about using or abusing their positions of trust,” Chasanow said.

Posts: 19578 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
a wonderful start

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
At last, really bad literature meets its just desserts!

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
The books are now selling on eBay for $100.00.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://hotair.com/archives/ja...-last-corrupt-mayor/

You Won’t Believe Who’s Leading The Race To Replace Baltimore’s Last Corrupt Mayor

When Baltimore’s previous mayor, Catherine Pugh left office, it was because she was preparing to do a three year stretch in prison for scamming nearly a million dollars out of various organizations using her self-published children’s books. She was replaced by City Council leader Jack Young, who has thus far been doing a competent and honest job by all accounts. Unfortunately, Young said from day one that he was only an interim mayor and he had no intention of running for a full term of his own.

another previous Baltimore mayor was Sheila Dixon. Dixon was forced out of office after being convicted of embezzlement.

So who is currently leading in the polls to replace Jack Young as Baltimore’s next mayor? It’s none other than… Sheila Dixon. Yes, the same Sheila Dixon mentioned above who was convicted of embezzlement

Former Mayor Sheila Dixon has opened up a slight lead in a crowded, competitive race to become Baltimore’s next mayor, a new poll for The Baltimore Sun, the University of Baltimore and WYPR shows.

Dixon is favored by 16% of the likely Democratic primary voters polled. That’s six percentage points more than her top competition: City Council President Brandon Scott and former Maryland Deputy Attorney General Thiru Vignarajah, who each had 10% support. Former Baltimore Police Department spokesman T.J. Smith was close behind in fourth place with 9%, while the incumbent Mayor Bernard C. “Jack” Young trailed the leaders with 6% support.

Posts: 19578 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
All I can say is "fuck 'em, they deserve what they get."

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12780 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post