SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do I move the safe?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do I move the safe? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
local company charged me $900 to deliver, bring up a set of stairs and place in desired location in my raised house 7ish years ago

a1abdj had it drop shipped to my local company

I think the price quoted to you is reasonable.

I'll pay someone with correct tools and experience to not seriously injure myself

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6290 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
When we moved from NC to TX, I left the safe (850lbs) in the old house, open w/locksmiths business card and the combo. But I had to remove the door casing to get it in under the stairs and I didn’t want to have to stay two days to repair that damage.

I bought a bigger one here in TX. If/when we move again, I’ll remove the door from the safe making it easier to move around and move it that way.

For a local (ish) move, I’d keep it. If I moved across the country, I’ll sell it.

But her company was gonna pay to move it-we had no weight limit, like when I was in the service. The only question was remove the door casing or not.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11439 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
You probably would pay for delivery on a new safe. I paid $700 to have two safes delivered and bolted down a few years ago.

Posts: 11544 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
Whenever I am faced with a bigger job than I can handle, I always research how much the tools will cost to enable doing it properly myself. These often cost about as much as what a pro would quote to do the job. However, if I do it myself, I get to keep the tools. In this case, it might be an appliance/safe dolly, chain, winch, and a few come-alongs/tie-downs, a lot less $$$ than the numbers we see earlier in this thread. Perhaps someone who has done this might chime in on what other tools might be useful?

Also, as an option to spare having to deal with the entire weight, most safes have a removable door. A door can be nearly half the weight of the entire unit.

I follow a similar approach to jobs I need to do. I love an excuse to get more quality tools!

Posts: 2706 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is the 900 lbs including the door? It seems the doors are about half the weight if not more. Can you get the door off and move both separately?

Are you having a moving company take all your other possessions? Do you have the ability to have a tow behind trailer for your vehicle? There are U-Haul type rental trucks available which have a powered lift gate.

Posts: 5463 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I bought a Liberty from Tractor Supply, about 900 lbs. They loaded it with a forklift onto/into the car hauler trailer I borrowed from my brother.

I rented the appropriate dolly for about $60 (4 hrs), and had no problem handling it with a few guys. The dolly is two piece, slide each half under opposite sides, then it is strapped together with the safe into what becomes a single unit. Hydraulic lift to appropriate height (few inches), and then you roll around this single 4 wheeled unit.

https://www.aaarentall.com/equ...ry=98&key=068%2D0305

Need the muscle to handle it rolling down the ramp, but that can be done with a portable winch or just rope and pulley attached to a vehicle.

Watch some safe movers on YouTube- I found it fascinating, and very informative.

I really don’t mean to minimize the potential risk, and proper cautions need to be taken. But I definitely think it’s okay for DIY if you’re so inclined.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: honestlou,

Posts: 3519 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I bought a slightly smaller Treadlock last year in an estate, and it was in an upstairs closet,

normally with a safe that size, I use my Refridgerator Dolly and have a couple helpers and move them,
this one involved a set of stairs, the across a porch, and more stairs,

so I hired a local mover,
4 dudes showed up, had a walking dolly, (it walked it down the stairs w/o damage) and out to my van in about an hour,

cost was $625, (flat fee + and amount per step)

best money spent,

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10550 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post