SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gun Collection Disposition
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun Collection Disposition Login/Join 
posted
I’m sure many of us are geezers. In my case late 70s and battling cancer. I decided I needed to take stock of my collection of revolvers, pistols, rifles and shotguns to decide on their ultimate disposition when I pass. I have three sons who are life NRA members and trained each one in gun safety. Only one is nearby but I recently had all three together around Thanksgiving. Here’s what I did.

I brought out my entire collection for them to view and told them that I planned to give some to grandchildren and named them, distribute some to them and sell what did not interest them. I asked them for their input on which pistols, revolvers, rifles and shotguns they wanted and would insure that the overall value of their selection will be distributed equally. This was the first time I knew exactly how many firearms I collected!

They examined all and made their choices which I recorded. Surprisingly, there very few conflicts in their choices and just a few guns in which there was no interest. I’ve since acquired a few more! :lol:

What are your plans to dispose of your collection when you pass ?

Dum Spiro Pugno

Posts: 174 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 24, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Mine will go to my grandsons, and if they're not yet of legal age, my son in law to hold until they are.
My son is a drug abuser who would sell anything he gets, so the decision is easy.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3635 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
To my children, assuming they stay interested and responsible.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
After my mom passed away my sisters where trying to figure out how to split up the jewelry. I suggested doing like draft picks. A toss of the coin determined who would go first. They thought it was brilliant and it was a drama-free resolution. I’m leaving the same instructions for the settlement of my own toys.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Years ago my Dad called a meeting together of his sons to discuss the disposition of his guns. Dad liked bagels and coffee so we all met at local bagel place for breakfast, he broke out his yellow legal pad, announced each gun individually, we discussed it, and then the decision was noted on the pad.

However, in the years after the meeting, Dad continued to buy guns, give some guns as gifts, received some guns from friends, and these changes weren't noted on the record.

Eventually his health began to fail, one issue after another, a series of lengthy hospital stays over the years, and his physical health caused him to lose some physical ability and some interest in shooting, or at least in maintaining his guns/ accessories/ ammo or any records of them.

After we lost Dad, no one knew where the original yellow legal pad record had been kept, none of us had any copies, and we were forced to go by a combination of memories and just pure negotiation for the unclaimed guns. A home fire complicated matters as a number of guns/ammo/ and accessories were lost.

My advice to those considering the disposition of their guns is to make multiple copies of the planned distribution with all recipients retaining a copy, making sure that as guns are added or removed, along with ammo and accessories, that both the master copy as well as the distributed copies be updated regularly, as well as in the will or trust.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by modern day savage

My advice to those considering the disposition of their guns is to make multiple copies of the planned distribution with all recipients retaining a copy, making sure that as guns are added or removed, along with ammo and accessories, that both the master copy as well as the distributed copies be updated
regularly, as well as in the will or trust.

Great suggestion and advice. Thanks.

Dum Spiro Pugno

Posts: 174 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 24, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm single and plan to remain as such. So, likely an estate sale or I will sell them myself if I am in a position to know I need to do so.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2783 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Strider41

I wish you the best, the stage is yours...

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...050018905#1050018905

Posts: 8671 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have 4 kids but only 2 have any real interest. I did a spreadsheet listing all the guns and who gets what with input from each. My wife and eldest son have the password.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4371 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
They will all be sold.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5134 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I had to help with several estates in the family that had more than one firearm. Had one retired decorated Army Uncle get a terminal cancer diagnosis and he asked me to help catalog and liquidate his collection. Losing him was tough.

I learned from those experiences and built a excel spreadsheet for firearms and ammo. It lists firearms by condition, serial, specifications, purchase price, accessories/comments, multiple photos of each and finally- current market value. Linked the market values to a total cell at the bottom. A similar sheet for ammunition is included.
Passed that one to many friends since. I've seen too many people pass and their significant others have no idea what is valuable/rare and were subsequently taken advantage of in liquidation. I wanted to prevent that and have helped a number of families since appraise, catalog and sell collections.

Did the same documentation for my own stuff and included disposition documents for specific firearms going to specific family members.
My sons are welcome to liquidate any other items as they see fit, but they each have a few firearms that are "theirs".
Also paper copies in and out of safe as well as digital files. I update periodically.
This is cited in my will as well.

Posts: 1512 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The stuff I inherited from my grandfather and father I would like to make sure stay in the family. Couple of items I have collected that I want to make sure stay in the family as well.

The rest they can keep if they want or sell.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sell them all before, not when, I pass.

Q

Posts: 27513 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I need to do something similar on my guns. I have had discussions with my son on what he would like to have but I never put it in writing.

Time to update my inventory and plan on putting things in writing.

Posts: 925 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have a spreadsheet with make, model,caliber, purchase price and each year I update the market value of said gun, if a gun is loaned out or is usually carried by wife,big kid it’s noted.

My big kid has little interest in firearms and the little one is ten.. but he loves shooting with me. so when I go I will bequeath my grand dad’s guns to the little one and the others will be sold off unless the kid wants them. We will see

My mom and dad have gone thru their stuff and have had each of us kids walk thru the house and point out what items we want, mom has a binder she keeps up to date. There will be no squabbling. Her mother did the same thing but my aunt fought my brother for each item he wanted...we no longer talk to her...none of us, she made her bed and wouldn’t let my brother keep a dictionary he wanted...the only item he asked for. We learned lessons.

My grand dad handed out guns before he was too old to drive anymore.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11459 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I will add that I would plan to give them away BEFORE I die.

Like take them to a range session and then give some to them beforehand so you can enjoy giving the gift rather than waiting.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

Sell them all before, not when, I pass.

How will you know when "before" is here?

Posts: 13715 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jman78
posted Hide Post
I am single also, my best friend will take whAt he likes, and sell the rest, and give the money to any remaining family.

Posts: 185 | Location: Victorville, CA | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have no children.

When we both are gone the person in charge of our estate will be directed by our will to have any firearms left to be sold at fair market value.
Any money made is to be placed into our total estate and divided equally to our nieces, nephews and god children.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2635 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We just had this discussion a couple of weeks ago. All of mine go to my grandsons. They can divide however they decide.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 732 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post