SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My week for odd questions - Artists/Painters, some input please?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My week for odd questions - Artists/Painters, some input please? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
My youngest is quite a good artist if I do say so myself.

We want her to to a mural on the side of the house.

I need input on two things:

1. Paint - What are your recommendations for a paint that will weather well and resist sun fading?

2. Surface - For the sake of convenience and safety, the mural will be done separately and then fastened to the house. What would be the best material to use, again stressing resistance to weather and fade while providing good "tooth" for the paint to adhere to?

Thanks for any input.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is the mural being considered?

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
What is the mural being considered?

A long, narrow strip of flowers, vines and colorful birds...sort of a garden/jungle scene. About 2 feet by 16 feet.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
any quality exterior paint will work

don't use artist pastels or acrylics, they will have no UV additive and also don't have any mildewcides in them for the exterior environment

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would use marine plywood mounted with a french cleat.

Prep all the surfaces and edges with a primer sealer like kills or zinzer.

Chroma makes a good set of mural paints.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post