SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How bout' those Patriots?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How bout' those Patriots? Login/Join 
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Pats are gonna be tough to beat, no doubt.

As for Sean Payton, no love lost there. I’m glad he’s bellyaching over a blown call. The man was banned for a year because he knew about and covered up bounties on players. He should’ve been banned for life.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3964 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
You guys are complaining about calls missed.

How about the play where to pass went thru Eddlemans hands for a pick? He got his head taken off.

Talk about a defenseless reciever.
No call :-/

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:

How about the play where to pass went thru Eddlemans hands for a pick? He got his head taken off.

Bob
Yep, Eddleman got destroyed.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
Pats fan here deep behind enemy lines in Upstate NY. That game had me on edge. Looking forward to the SB. Been a fan since the days of Plunkett and Vataha. :-)

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8526 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I hope Tommy is holding up okay after that roughing the passer call. Good lord that was horrible.

What a horribly officiated game (in the Pats favor, again).

The NFL will be much better off when the Patriots ride off into asterisk-littered obscurity in a few years.

The AFC East is a joke and the Patriots are just lucky they’re in that poor division. Division titles basically mean nothing over there.

Okay I think I’ve released all of my bitterness now (I do this once a year).

And yes, the Seahawks should have ran the damn ball.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bob

I'm sorry, but nothing is going to top 3 Eagles (and only three Eagles) laying on a fumble against the Cowboys and the refs saying there was no clear possession after watching the video. League rules state if only one team is laying on it they get possession even if it isn't a clear recovery, but even after watching the video for a few minutes AND talking to league headquarters they gave it to the Cowboys. I don't want to hear anyone crying about officiating after that. This really has been the worst year I can remember though.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Apparently if you touch Brady’s shoulder pads, it’s a roughing the passer call. Pathetic.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Wrong

Brady gets a roughing the passer call roughly once every 250 drop backs

It’s middle of the road....it comes out like 18th in the league (I don’t remember the exact number from the article

In this day of metrics and sabremetrics espn and others have compiled all of these stats and studied all of these myths

It was a horrible call. He brushes his face mask and the ref threw the flag. It was a bad call. It was on 2nd and 7. Yes it gave the Patriots a first down. But by no means did it decide the game

There is no way the officiating in that game was heavily in the chiefs favor. Calls were missed on both sides. The play that springs Watkins down the sideline to the one was pretty much the exact play the patriots ran earlier and called for offensive PI. It’s a clear pick. Refs called it on the Pats, didn’t on the chiefs Questionable calls were made too (the last Jackson interference was ridiculous, especially after what they let the chiefs get away with on gronk)...wouldn’t have mattered because roughing was (correctly) called.

The Patriots were called for 6 penalties for 61 yards. The chiefs 4 for 28 yards.....but, sure, the refs clearly favored the Pats. Roll Eyes

this narrative that Brady gets more roughing calls than everyone else is absolutely false, and is getting old

quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
Apparently if you touch Brady’s shoulder pads, it’s a roughing the passer call. Pathetic.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
As a card carrying memeber of the Tom Brady fan club (and again, mostly because "Fuck the Rams and their bullshit exit from my city despite giving lip service if they would spend millions of tax dollars on them even though they were always going to leave..."

The only team I hate more than the Patriots, is the Rams..

So Come' On Tom Brady. I'm rooting for you. And also for Stan Kronke to fall into a ditch and break his back... and slowly starve to death while being eaten by coyotes... and fire ants...

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I feel bad for the Saints except for the refs also missed an obvious face mask on Goff that *could* have meant 7 on that drive instead of 3, in which case the PI wouldn't have ended the game, and we can whatif it back and forth as much as we want except the Saints still lost it in overtime.

The Pats had a drive extended by a roughing call that shouldn't have been, but the Chiefs had it won if Dee Ford hadn't lined up offsides.

I guess that's all to say the refs played way too big a part in both games, but they can't take all the blame.

Posts: 3660 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I read the roughing the passer rule, and had previously thought it applied only after the ball left the passers hand. There is one aspect that applies when the QB is in the throwing motion, that chopping the throwing arm isn't allowed. You can grab or grasp the arm as part of tackling, but you can't chop.

The motion was chopping, but didn't strike the throwing arm but seemingly incidentally post release. Whoever called the penalty has this aspect of the penalty as an out.

The timing of the penalties was what hurt the Chiefs. Two reviews were questionable: The Edleman muff on the punt grounder took likely at least 7 minutes before a conclusion, on a call that requires clear evidence to overturn. If it took that long to review, how clear is the evidence, and implies an agenda by the reviewers. Then a bobbled pass up the middle hits the ground and they confirm it as a catch.

I admit I can't surely see Edleman touch the ball on the called muff on the punt, and maybe he didn't touch it. But clear evidence to overturn the call on the field isn't apparent to me, but maybe it is by expert reviewers.

Another way the overturned muffed punt screwed the Chiefs is the ball spot. Since the call was a muff that was overturned, where do you spot the ball? That possibly was what took so long in the review. If it wasn't perceived as touched and picked up by a Chiefs player, the ball possibly trickles down near the goal line to be downed, Since the Chiefs player assumed a muff, he determined the spot when he picked it up.

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bob

He wasn't a receiver at that point, he became a defensive player the moment the ball was caught by a Chief. That was a block.

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
As long as we’re questioning bias in officiating, what was up with the long “officials break” at the end of the Patriots/KC game to “verify the official game clock”?

Seemed like an extra time out for KC, when they were out, and needed one. All so the zebras could unhuddle, after Mahomes got his play all figured out, and declare “game clock is right”

I call shenanigans...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
As long as we’re questioning bias in officiating, what was up with the long “officials break” at the end of the Patriots/KC game to “verify the official game clock”?

Seemed like an extra time out for KC, when they were out, and needed one. All so the zebras could unhuddle, after Mahomes got his play all figured out, and declare “game clock is right”

I call shenanigans...

This official's timeout didn't allow any planning by the defense? That was the second time in this game the officials did that.

I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
He should’ve been banned for life.

That's absolutely correct, the fact that he can still participate is a prime example of what is wrong with the NFL today.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
I hope some people on here who don't like Bill Belichick and Tom Brady will remember they are both political conservatives who have taken a lot of grief from the left (including the Boston Globe) for supporting President Trump.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
... I’m glad he’s bellyaching over a blown call...

So are pretty much every Vikings fans right now. Listening to Saints fan bitch now is comical, after being told to just deal with it. It was a BS call but it couldn't have happened to a more deserving HC or fanbase.

From /r/minnesotavikings

"The head coach was suspended for a year.

The GM was suspended for half a year.

The assistant head coach was suspended for 6 games.

The defensive coordinator, who is living pile of shit, was suspended forever. (only to be overturned because the NFL is an old boys club).

Four players were suspended. Eventually Talgiabue overturned their suspensions (NOT because he disagreed with Goodell or believed them to be innocent, unlike what every Saints fan will erroneously tell you), because he felt that they shouldn't have to take the blame for something the COACHES ran and oversaw and let go AND continued to cover up every investigation. The cover up was part of the penalties. No one fucking gets that part.

I've never met a single Saints fan who admitted that Bountygate was real, that they were in the wrong, or made clear the fact that almost everyone eventually confessed to it. Nor have they admitted the bad ref calls were bad and why they won the game. The Minneapolis Miracle was not and will never be meaningless because it gave this organization and fanbase exactly what they deserved. Karma.

FTS."

Go PATS!

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
quote:

Bob

He wasn't a receiver at that point, he became a defensive player the moment the ball was caught by a Chief. That was a block.

How about unecessary roughness then.
Someone unloading on your face certainly falls into this catagory.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I don’t how much clearer it can be that Edelman didn’t touch that ball. Maybe the TV I’m watching it on is just clearer. In the moment when it happened I also jumped up and thought it touched him. But there are two angles that, when combined, show it absolutely did not touch. The NFL, now 2 days later, has said it absolutely did not touch him. Why? Because it didn’t touch him. It was damn close. And I can see why everyone (including me) thought it did. But it didn’t It’s irrelevant, because 2 plays later Brady threw a pick.

Speaking of which, there is video from a K.C. news station forwarded to the NFL that clearly shows someone lazing Brady in the face with a green laser the play before he threw that interception....classy. Good on the TV station for stepping up and doing the right thing

The catch by Hogan down the middle is incomplete last year. The new catch rules that the NFL has put in place in response to plays like the Steelers had at the goal line in 2017 against the Pats, and the famous Dez Bryant play have changed all of this. The ball can now contact the ground if the receiver maintains control and the ground doesn’t aid in the catch. The one Hogan caught one handed was absolutely a catch by the definition of the rule. FWIW, I also agree that the one near the sidelines that was initially ruled a catch and then overturned was also correct by the definition of the rules. It may be the pendulum on this rule has swung too far back after the criticism the league has gotten. But, again, the league agrees with both calls made on both of those completions/incompletions

Going into the Patriots final drive in regulation the Chiefs had been penalized twice for 8 yards

I concede the roughing call was a bad call. What I don’t concede is that it was made with some sort of agenda in mind, or because...Brady. The player definitely contacts his facemask..Brady moves his head suddenly probably became...well...a large arm just suddenly flew past his face....the ref made an assumption and threw the flag....I think it was a bad call. But again, if it isn’t made, it’s 3rd and 7....remind me again how the Cheifs’ Defense was doing against the Patriots on third down? Yes, we will never know, but to say that play bailed the patriots out somehow ignores what we saw them do the entire game on that down...

And then the final penalty is the Dee Ford offsides. I don’t know how to make this any clearer. Dee Ford said he was offsides. Andy Reid said Dee Ford was offsides. The whole world agrees Dee Ford was offsides. And you know why? Because Dee Ford was offsides.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stiab:
I hope some people on here who don't like Bill Belichick and Tom Brady will remember they are both political conservatives who have taken a lot of grief from the left (including the Boston Globe) for supporting President Trump.

Also, the owner of the Rams, Stan Kroenke, donated a million dollars to Trump's inauguration fund.

https://publicintegrity.org/fe...by-corporate-giants/

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post