SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kathleen Hicks - Acting Secty of Defense
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kathleen Hicks - Acting Secty of Defense Login/Join 
posted
Although she has been mentioned, we deserve a good look at her credentials :

https://www.defense.gov/About/...96/kathleen-h-hicks/

Although never in the military, she is obviously a brilliant academic and has served in various capacities in the DoD in her career. Despite
Military experience lacking, I think she will do well in the role, having the benefit of the Joint Chiefs Flag and General Officers as her counsel.

I was concerned about her lack of direct military experience, however, having researched her education and history, my doubts are assuaged!

Comments most welcome…

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2148 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Hey, we have an old man with memory problem as leader of the free world. So, why does it matter which peon runs which department?

Q

Posts: 27447 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
For the historically inclined, Macnamara and his whiz kids were brilliant academics and business leaders. Among other brilliant innovations was an M-16 that didn't work, that was issued without cleaning gear in a rifle that fouled quickly and badly, that was then fed ammo bought on the cheap because the manufacturer's recommendation was too expensive. This is the same rocket surgeon that installed operation 100,000 where cat 5 mental group individuals could enlist and were drafted.
Brilliant I tell ya. If you can run a doughnut shop successfully you can certainly run a war, it just ain't that different.

I believe in my heart that when you have worked on a two way rifle range, served on a sub getting pinged by Russians, flown a peacekeeping mission in a foreign land and had migs show up to say howdy, your perspective is changed from the moment before. This comment is not to disparage anyone's loyalty, intelligence, courage or anything else, simply perspective.

I suspect but don't know that cops, fire fighters, rescue workers might have the same attitude about chairborne rangers sending them 'in' when they have no idea about that of which they speak.

Posts: 6489 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Academic credentials are one thing, but actual decisions she's made in relevant earlier situations would be more helpful.

I guess we don't get to see that until she's made a few under pressure. Let's hope things are calm the rest of the year so we don't find out.

Posts: 9785 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
“In October 2020, she also served on the CSIS-LSHTM High-Level Panel on Vaccine Confidence and Misinformation amid the COVID-19 pandemic”

She’s just another DC bureaucrat.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4010 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wishfull thinker:
I believe in my heart that when you have worked on a two way rifle range, served on a sub getting pinged by Russians, flown a peacekeeping mission in a foreign land and had migs show up to say howdy, your perspective is changed from the moment before. This comment is not to disparage anyone's loyalty, intelligence, courage or anything else, simply perspective.

Two words for the bold part: Jimmy Carter

But I digress and understand your analogy.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14138 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Well, she has to be better than the empty seat Austin left last time he was hospitalized. At least, naming someone as acting is a step forward in normalcy.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23624 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Lloyd Austin SHOULD have been promptly fired back in early January after that disappearing act stunt he pulled and it would have occurred in a normal, non-clown-show administration.

I think he's going to end up being forced out now and will be replaced.

Posts: 34469 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Question...is Hicks a DEI hire??

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:

I doubt that a married white woman with three kids counts toward the DEI score these days.

Posts: 9019 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Lloyd Austin SHOULD have been promptly fired back in early January after that disappearing act stunt he pulled and it would have occurred in a normal, non-clown-show administration.

I think he's going to end up being forced out now and will be replaced.

True, but a bigger question is why didn't anyone else notice for a week or so and why was that the press, not the management team he reports to. That's the more concerning part.

Posts: 9785 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
Hicks is a DC bureaucrat who shouldn’t be trusted. Why on earth would you think otherwise simply because she’s assembled the academic prerequisites appropriate to her station? And having the benefit of the corrupt joint chiefs you think will improve her performance when Austin croaks?

For those who haven’t spent time in the government let me fill you in on a widely understood phenomenon: those in charge select the person then send them to finishing schools who dutifully issue their degree. Academic accomplishments of those in power are meaningless. I say this as someone who was sent to get 3 masters degrees.

My litmus test for judging the worthiness of any government official moving forward for the rest of my life is COVID. Were they one of the lemmings or did they stand up against the obvious? If they were a lemming initially, that’s ok, but did they recognize and correct themselves when reality became clear? Have they even now admitted the error of their ways or do they simply ignore it or justify their overreach because it was a “crisis?” Or finally, did they see what was happening but fear for their own career and so stay silent? I’m fine with those people as well, not everyone is called to be the outspoken hero, but they better have resisted at whatever level they could and certainly by now they should go fully public by condemning the zealots.

Hicks fails all 4 of those questions and you’d be unwise to see her as other than a standard issue swamp creature.

Posts: 2438 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Zero confidence in Hicks. Or Austin. Remember him reviewing the troops while wearing a face mask and shield? While outdoors? Idiots.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16364 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:
Hicks is a DC bureaucrat who shouldn’t be trusted.

This.

Right out of college, became a DC bureaucrat, and then entered the big time with an appointment by Obama. All of her adult life was spent in government.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17128 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not surprised nor, was I expecting someone with any kind of standout credentials. The vast majority of these seat holders have a wall of degrees, a CV full of positions at various think-tanks and some may have military experience...usually 20+ years ago. Hicks is just there to keep the seat warm, maintain the status quo and be available when Jake Sullivan calls.

Posts: 15030 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From the immortal movie, "The Dirty Dozen"

General to inspect Col. Breed's platoon:
"Very pretty, very pretty Col, but can they fight?"

Posts: 1663 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Macnamara and his whiz kids were brilliant academics and business leaders.

^^Aye, yup^^
History repeats.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6356 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:

I doubt that a married white woman with three kids counts toward the DEI score these days.

What if she's a trans woman, they can have babies too ! What's wrong with you ? Big Grin

Posts: 989 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”
― G. Michael Hopf, Those Who Remain

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24554 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:

For those who haven’t spent time in the government let me fill you in on a widely understood phenomenon: those in charge select the person then send them to finishing schools who dutifully issue their degree. Academic accomplishments of those in power are meaningless. I say this as someone who was sent to get 3 masters degrees.

Cannot be emphasized enough. I wish her well and proof is in actions, not resumes...but absolutely her "bona fides" were the product of her selection and not the other way around.

Posts: 778 | Location: FL | Registered: November 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post