SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does anyone know anything about AEDs? (Brands)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone know anything about AEDs? (Brands) Login/Join 
Stuck on
himself
posted
I’m trying to figure out what to get for a church safety team. They all kind of look the same to me.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
I’m working some of the same problems for my church.

I haven’t found our solution yet but a LEO consultant shared that some insurance companies offer grants for the purchase of an AED. No clue if true but I’ve emailed our agent to see.

Following your thread for info

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
They work pretty much the same. The San Diego Fire Department has a team that registers AED's installed, and does the monthly checks required by CA state law.
Suggest checking with your local FD or EMS people. Sometimes they have a "deal".
Otherwise, I personally got the Phillips AED from Amazon.
An important aspect of installing in a public area like a church is training of staff in location and use.
I recommend staff and congregation training in basic CPR at the time of installation.
There are inexpensive AED simulator training units (also from Amazon).
Check with local Red Cross about CPR training.

Posts: 18381 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
We bought the same brand that our EMS/FD carry on their rigs, Philips HeartStart. That way they don’t have to connect new pads...just unplug and connect their equipment.

Most states require that a pediatrician sign off annually on having the pediatric-sized equipment, FYI. Just in case you are considering that option.

Posts: 3689 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I’ve used Laerdal brand 4 times. 2 times, the victim died. But they’re pretty easy to use.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
there are several different manufactures and they all pretty much work the same. Like was mentioned, check with your local FD/EMS agencies...they will at least give you an idea of what brand is common locally. There is a manufacturer in my location that contacts us a couple times a year looking to get our fireman to come in and try and operate the units with no training or previous exposure to the newest model...it kind of gives them an idea of how easy or hard they are to operate for someone that hasn’t seen one before...they use us as a kind of litmus test even though all of our guys are either emt’s or paramedics...I think they also do testing with lay public. Of course we like it when they call, it’s a quick 100 bucks for 1/2 hour visit!
The operation and brief instructions provided with each does make them super easy to operate.

Also...you don’t have to worry about hurting someone with it as their internal computer won’t let it shock anyone that doesn’t need it...just keep people from touching the person when you push the button!

Posts: 3161 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Be sure to look at replacement costs for the pads. They need to be replaced periodically and prices vary quite a bit.

Bruce

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RNshooter,

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4248 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
Be wary of the environment we find ourselves in.

With the heightened need for security/safety, there are some companies that are tailoring products for churches and schools, with pricing that is higher than can be found elsewhere.

Call it supply/demand, capitalism, whatever...research prices carefully to ensure that you're getting the best value you can.

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
We have two Lifepak 1000 AED at our facility primarily because that's the model local EMS units use. They had some software issues that caused the battery life indicator to give false readings but they sent techs out to correct the issue. Anyhow batteries have to be replaced about every 4 or 5 years and run almost $400 each. The pads have expiration dates and require replacement every two or three years. Adult pads run $40+ and child pads are $100+.

Whatever brand you get I'd suggest a separate bag with CPR supplies, disposable towels and safety razor (for removing excessive body hair and to clear sweat from skin prior to placing pads), medical safety scissors, gloves, etc.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1916 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
I love this place. There’s a fire dept down the street and I’ll pop by.

Thanks for the replies.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It will matter not a hoot which one you buy in terms of performance. But there are auxiliary considerations. They need batteries, software updates, supplies etc. It helps a lot to have someone who knows the facts. That means either buy what your local EMS uses or your local hospital.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11178 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See if your state has a public access defibrillation program. If they do, the program should be able to help with the paperwork and point you in the right direction to purchase the equipment.

Posts: 4763 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ammoholic
Picture of drtenb330
posted Hide Post
Cardiac Science G3 Pro. You can pay under $2,000 & it does everything for you.

Posts: 1661 | Location: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
But I know about AED it says they are no replacement for the skilled paramedic who has to read the EKG, come up with the appropriate drug and cardioversion therapy at 2 in the morning during a Level 5 hurricane going uphill both ways.

I can't speak to AEDs other than to say they are run by withcraft. I do suggest calling your local EMS to see what they use. Two things that come to mind on that are (1) that the paramedics who respond are already be familiar with this system and they know how it works and (2) if they thought it was a good enough system its probably a good enough system.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32050 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prep, Confirm, Roll
posted Hide Post
I have studied this extensively actually. I have been faculty with the American Heart Association for 10 years and have been teaching Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support for longer.

Best value on the market is BY FAR the Zoll AED Plus. Initial cost may seem higher than others but maintenance cost is where this thing is king.

Most AED manufacturers have a proprietary battery that are very expensive and most need to be replaced every 2 years, this one takes CR123A batteries that you can change yourself. And the life cycle for them is 5 years as opposed to most others which is 2 years.

Pads carry a 5 year life cycle as well which is longest in the industry.

Last but not leas is the compression feedback function it offers. It gives you visual and audio feed back while performing compressions, to maximize cardiac output during compression's.

I would take a very hard look a this thing, its the only brand I recommend for Manual or Automated defibrillators.

Feel free to shoot me an email if I can help
with any questions.

https://www.zoll.com/medical-p...ibrillators/aed-plus

NRA Certified instructor,
and Range Safety officer

OpSpec Training http://opspectraining.com
Grayguns - http://grayguns.com

Posts: 3173 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Wow. You’re the first person who I’ve ever seen recommend Zoll.

I just actually turned down a job with Zoll, because the company seems like it’s on the verge of imploding.

I will admit, I know nothing of their AED, just the other product lines.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Zoll and Lifepak each have their own fanboys, at least for the manual cardiac monitors.

Phillips, Cardiac Science, and Physio-control lifepak AEDs are some of the ones I've used and they're all pretty user friendly. Make sure to have at least 2 adult pads and 1 set of pedi pads in the AED and have a set check schedule for it to ensure that the battery is still good and the pads are still in date.

Another big thing to have in the AED bag is disposable razors. If you have someone with a hairy enough chest the pads won't stick. You can use standard pharmacy disposables or medical prep razors which are a bit safer.

Also if it's going to be out in the open, which it should, get a cabinet with alarm for it to help keep it from walking.

Posts: 6400 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
When I setup my last company's first responder program, we went with the Phillips system due to ease of use, and support market.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3385 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most AED manufacturers have a proprietary battery that are very expensive and most need to be replaced every 2 years, this one takes CR123A batteries that you can change yourself. And the life cycle for them is 5 years as opposed to most others which is 2 years.Pads carry a 5 year life cycle as well which is longest in the industry.

^This. We have Defibtech units. Proprietary battery that says it's good for 5 years, but will without warning start barking 6 months prior to it actually expiring. I've talked to them and told them it's a bad design. Should have a 'warning' (that you can silence) 6 months prior to expiration, then one you can't once it's done. But it starts beeping ~6 months prior to the battery end of life. Pads are good for 2 years. Once they expire, you get the same warning beep you cannot silence. The battery goes for ~$170 and the pads about $60. Defibtech CS are also jerks.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8365 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Consider contacting the agencies in your area that would respond to a medical emergency and figure out which device they have. Not necessarily for a recommendation, but for pad compatibility. We (LE) use a device that takes the same pads as the ambulance service in our area. That way, when they arrive, they unplug our machine and plug theirs in. They're also able to leave us a new set of pads immediately.

Posts: 5203 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post